Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5634f23c6bb6ba15a8ab0ee3eea88207Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

How do I submit a droid for approval?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai ()

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see how one can think of a stationary\non-controlled droid as not a costume, and that is how I would view them. But a controlled droids are just like a costume where the operator uses servos or cables to open a masks mouth. It is just droids are wireless, the operator still bring the "life" and personality to the character. Without the operator the droid is scenery.
rmeyer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems this thread has come around to an important point. It is not about the droid, or the costume- it is about the sweat and the hours some person put in to make it happen. Take off the costume- switch off the droid- and they just become "stuff".

Years ago I was blessed with the opportunity to construct a collection of life-size robotic dinosaurs for my local children's museum. Myself and a number of volunteers dedicated every spare hour of our time for over eleven months to make it happen. Seeing the looks on the kid's faces on opening night was overwhelming...but I had no idea.

I have continued to maintain the exhibit year after year, as its original one year engagement turned into two, then five, then ten and counting. About five years into it I was in museum doing some work and as always when I was finished I reactivated all the dinosaurs then I stepped back into the room to "blend in with the crowd" and watch how everything was working.

As often happens I saw some kids run to stand in front of the T-Rex as their mom took their picture- then a thought hit me like a lightning bolt. That family would soon go home and that picture was going to end up in an album, or maybe on the kid's wall, or maybe emailed to grandma. They would see it every now and then- they would remember- it might even inspire them. My little contribution just became part of some kid's childhood- part of the magic of their world just as Star Wars was for me when I was thirteen or Jaques Cousteau was when I was ten, or the mere sight of a tractor was when I was five.

Into a world full of so many bad things we bring a piece of wonderment and magic. Regardless of whatever group or affiliation we represent we should always support one another's efforts in whatever way we can. In the end it is really not about us.

My thoughts on the subject.

Rob
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a wonderful and poignant statement, Rob. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for sharing it with us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: