About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=15c960fc8df0ce59364a5014b92d6361Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Minnesota News - CONvergence Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Central Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (6)
 14 slots left to register.
 (0)
 20 slots left to register.
User Registered Confirmed
Sith's HeraldThu May 06, 2010 1:52 am
MasterbeanThu May 06, 2010 2:26 am
leiasolosingerThu May 06, 2010 4:52 am
BocrebJediThu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm
JediSeeker1Fri May 07, 2010 9:57 pm
IndustrialSizeEdMon May 24, 2010 1:54 pm
User Registered Confirmed
Sith's Herald (Steve Fuchs)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Minnesota News - CONvergence Update Reply with quote

CONvergence Party update

The following is not ideal, but please read through the situation and my proposed solution before getting too worked up about it. In the end, it should really not effect us.

CONvergence has decided that the badged area of the the convention will now include the parties as well. They have their reasons for doing this, some of which are very valid. They have heard from the heads of most of the parties, who nearly unanimously were not completely in favor of it, but it has been voted on and is unlikely to change.

Many party heads stated that, as with the Mos Icee Cantina, many of the volunteers who make the party possible are not badged convention attendees, but rather volunteers there to help for the night. CONvergence recognized this and will be doing the following:

All badged attendees may come and go as they wish. CONvergence will be giving out up to 15 "visitor" badges per party, per night, at no charge, for those volunteers who will be coming to help with parties. These badges will grant them acces to all of the parties. The catch is this, they would like to assign names to these badges ahead of time, and would like the list by May 25th.

Now, my proposal is this: Rather than try to make a list of who will be there without a badge and on what night this far out, I would like you to post if you HAVE registered, or if you definitely WILL NOT be registering.

I am guessing that the number of active con party going members who will not be registering will be around or under 15 people. If that is the case, I will just ask for 15 badges for each night and put down all of the active members I can think of who haven't registered. That way, it won't matter which night you come. There will be a badge there either way and no one will feel bullied into buying a badge.

Please post your thoughts, questions and your planned registration status.

Co-Leader, Minnesota Force
www.minnesotaforce.org
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Steve!
I moved this to the Northern Sector Events forum as this is an event specific to Minnesota
Sith's Herald (Steve Fuchs)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the party planners received the following e-mail regarding the new badge policy:

Hello,
This is from Ishmael, Facilities Division Director for CONvergence.

First, I most want to apologize for the lateness in our announcement, and for the initial confusion that resulted. I have written an FAQ below that I hope clears up the confusion and answer the most pressing questions. In addition to this being sent through normal channels, as it were, this FAQ will be posted to the CONvergence website on the Parties page.

I want to thank all of you for your input. Knowing all of the opinions, and having Robert represent you as a whole, was very enlightening. Clearly, as with all other areas of CONvergence, there is much passion around what we do, and a real desire to make it the best it can be.

As noted the FAQ is below, written by me. If you have any further questions, or additions to the FAQ, please feel free to contact me directly at facilities@convergence-con.org.

Thank you all once again.

Sincerely,
Ishmael

Current 2010 Parties FAQ

Q: Why is CONvergence expanding badged space?
A: As CONvergence has grown in popularity over the years, coming close to topping 4,000 attendees in 2009 and likely to go over 4,000 in 2010, the incidents of unbadged people entering the hotel has grown. As the only areas in which they can enter are the party cabanas, they have done so freely. These are usually people from off the street who have heard that there is a building-wide party going on in which alcohol flows freely. These are generally not people who have elected to be part of our community by buying a membership or even trying to help out. Simply, they are gate-crashers, and CONvergence is entering into an effort to deny access to such people.

Q: Is it mandatory that the CONvergence theme for this year, Bring On The Bad Guys, be incorporated into our room party theme?
A; It is not. If it can be, terrific, and please think in simple terms if attempting to do so. But it is not mandatory.

Q: Is it true that party hosts are going to have to badge their parties?
A: No. Initially, when the announcement was made that parties would be badged, it was said at the time that party hosts would be asked to badge. That was incorrect, and we like to make clear that Party hosts are not being asked to badge. Instead, the cabana rooms on the first and second floors will be inside badged space. CONvergence assumes the responsibility for badging much more of the hotel spaces this year, requiring badges to be worn pretty much all the time.

Q: Will those helping set up and helping run the parties have to buy a badge?
A: No. Our parties head brought this concern to us, and he brought the recommendation from the parties hosts that some way be devised to identify party helpers. We are sympathetic to all the issues raised, and will be making temp badges available to those helpers designated by the parties. In other words, party hosts tell us how many temp badges they need each day, and they will be made available.

Q: Do I need to give you all my helper's names?
A: As your helpers will be asking for the badges, it's best if the names are available. This protects your party and your badge by ensuring that only those you intend to have the badge receives it. The names can be forwarded on the May 25th date previously given, or by June 20th. Obviously, the earlier, the better.

Q: I may not be able to supply the names of all my helpers by May 25th, will that be a problem?
A: No problem at all! Again, this concern was represented to us by the parties head. What we ask then I simply a count of the number of badges each party believes it will need, by the 25th. If any names can be given by then, so much the better. But again, at the very least, a count of the number of badges by that deadline. Registration will accept the list up until June 20th.

Q: Can helpers share badges?
A: As each party requesting temp badges should have a maximum of 15 (per day), the need for sharing of badges should be minimized.

Q: Will my helper's badge cover the entire run of CONvergence?
A: Yes, the temp badge will allow access to all badged areas of CONvergence. Temp badges are good only for the day indicated, and are good from time of pick-up until 2 a.m. Temp badges will be available according to the schedule of Registration.

Q: Where will my helper's pick up their badges?
A: In Registration.

Q: Can I pick up badges for helper's that haven't arrived yet?
A: Yes. Contact Registration and they can help you with this. They will need a list of the helpers you are collecting before they can release the badges, and will request that you sign out the badges.

Q: What about late arrivals? Where do they pick up their badge?
A: Temp badges are available in Registration either directly or during "after-hours" registration times. If Registration is closed upon arrival, people should go to the Bridge, which can contact Registration.

Co-Leader, Minnesota Force
www.minnesotaforce.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Central Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: