About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=96681fb27814d252e93e9a493c9d8759Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Camping trip - Henry Cowell Redwoods, June 11-13
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Camping trip - Henry Cowell Redwoods, June 11-13 Reply with quote

This event thread replaces the previous camping trip threads. All further updates, planning and discussion for this trip should be directed here. Please check this first post for information updates.

Event: Joint Rebel Legion (Endor and Sunrider bases), SFFF and 501st Camping Trip
Campground Address: 2591 Graham Hill Road, Scotts Valley, CA 95060
Park Day Use Entrance: 101 North Big Trees Park Road, Felton, CA 95018
Dates: arrival Friday, June 11 and checkout Sun, June 13
Times: check-in 2pm; check-out 12pm

Please note that the common sites have one slot open for Friday night. There are 4 slots open for Sat night.

Confirmed attendance - updated 6/2
Alison
Eva, her brother, Angelica and Joey Ford
Matt
Dale
Don +2 - Fri night only
Rachel
Russ and Gaby (SFFF) (site 65)
Darksaber + 1 (SFFF) (site 65)
Debi and kids (2?) (501st) (site 60)
JediZabrak (Lloyd)
Ciscotiger (Anthony)
skye_solo (SFFF)
Ming (SFFF)

total confirmed Friday night: 22
confirmed Friday night at the common sites: 15

total confirmed Sat night: 20
confirmed Sat night at the common sites: 12

Tentative attendance - updated 4/13
nebelwerfer
Scott and Jessica
Kathy
Shea
Hollis DZC (Sat night)

Tentative people: If we have slots left over then it will be available to those on the tentative list. If we run out of open slots, then people can be free to either get their own site themselves or join us for the day but not camp overnight.

Camping sites:
The campground rules allow up to 8 people per site. However it is very important to understand that the campground does not say that 8 people will fit at every site. In fact, some of these sites absolutely will NOT hold 8 people. The tally of 8 is only to make sure that we do not violate park rules.

Common group sites: 58 and 62
Personally reserved sites by group members: 60, 65

Site 58 - Eva has reserved this site. She, her brother and Angelica will be staying here. There will be space for additional people from the group. Park rules allow an additional 5 people.

Site 58 description: Has a slightly shorter pull in area, not too bad of a slope. It is forested, but the canopy is a bit higher so I think it would be an in-between sun and shade type area. The picnic area is fairly open view of the road. It’s kind of nebulous on where to put the tent. If you walk to the table, on your right there is a small area that might work for a fairly small tent; this is a bit shielded by shrubbery from the road. There’s another nebulous area off to the left behind the table that might work for a small tent; this area is somewhat open to the road. Then a little farther back into the trees there is a larger clearing that (unless there are stumps) would probably work for a large sized tent; this spot is open but far enough back to feel private. This site looks back onto wilderness, not other sites, but the terrain is more open tree with occasional greenery/shrubs. Pictures: 58a, 58b, 58c, 58d

Site 60 - Eva has reserved this site for Debi and her kids. This is a private site and not open to group additions.

Site 60 description: Pull in area is medium length, decently wide. The site is canopied, but not too dark. However, the overall area is small. The table is off from the road decently, off to the side behind a tree, but the only possible tent area is for only a rather small tent and it is way too close to the table. Pictures: 60a, 60b

Site 62 - I have reserved this site for the group. I will be staying here, and park rules allow for another 7 people.

Site 62 description: It has a decent length pull in spot which looks flat. It’s forested and has somewhat of a canopy, but it doesn’t feel like it’s the totally dark kind. The vegetation is lower level, so it doesn’t feel like you’re closed in. As you go in, there is an area for a decent-large sized tent that is off to the right and back. It’s sort of close to the fire area, but might be made to work. If you go farther back, past the fire area and picnic table, there is a few-step trail that leads to a small clearing that’s behind the campsite that would work for a medium sized tent. This area feels very private back from the road. There’s a potential area for a small tent to the left of the table, but it may not be level/cleared enough. This site is located near the entrance to the Pine trail; the trail comes out just next to the corner of the site. Convenient for people who are going/coming from hiking, but does raise the possibility of more foot traffic near the site. Pictures: 62a, 62b, 62c, 62d.

Site 65 - Russ, Gaby, X-Darksaber and his wife have reserved this site for themselves. They are open to hosting someone from the general group if we have someone without space to stay.

Site 65 description: Decently long pull in area slightly sloped down but not too bad. It’s forested, with a lower canopy so it has a more closed feeling to it. However, the brush is low level so it doesn’t feel like you’re totally blocked off on all sides. The picnic table is a decent distance off the road; not totally private but not feeling totally exposed to the road. When you are at the end of the pull-in area, off to the left there is a semi-cleaning that could fit a medium sized tent – though it should be noted that there are branches coming out that give it a low ceiling in some spots. To the left of the picnic table behind the trees there is another potential tent area. You could probably get a large tent area in there, but it would be slightly sloped. Pictures: 65a, 65b, 65c, 65d

How many sites do we need?
We are now at the maximum number of allowed people per (common use) site for Friday night. Please remember - just because we are allowed to have 8 people does not mean the site is guaranteed to fit 8 comfortably! It is not clear to me that we will be able to reasonably fit this many people at each of these sites. Discussion will follow in a later post regarding how many people we might fit per site.

Cost of campsites only:
Each campsite costs $35/night + $4 reservation fee/night; this cost is to be divided by the number of people staying at that site.

Here is an example of the cost per person based on current projections. This is an example only. Cost will change depending on how many people are there per night.

2 sites with 15 people = $10.40 / person for 2 nights
3 sites with 15 people = $15.60 / person for 2 nights

Eva might have a discount on her site, and she has offered to spread the savings to the common sites if she does. However, please note this is only tentative. If this is the case, this would put the costs at:
2 sites with 15 people = $8.07 / person for 2 nights
3 sites with 15 people = $13.27 / person for 2 nights

Additional costs
Each car costs $10/day for day use in the park. Each camp site comes with one free day use pass for one car. After that, it will be the each person's individual responsibility to work out day use pass costs.

We are limited in the number of cars we are allowed to have overnight at the campground. Per campground rules, each site is allowed only two cars. Carpooling will be necessary, with roughly 3-4 people per car for the common sites.
Taeriel's costume page

Last edited by Taeriel () on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 pm; edited 7 times in total
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space

I've noticed some people are misunderstanding how many tents we will be able to fit at a site, thinking that if everyone brings a tent, there will be spots for them all. This is not a "group" site where you can put any number of tents anywhere you want. It is a family/single use site and there are only a certain number of spots suitable for tents. People are going to have to share tents in some cases.

Here's the summary of potential tent spaces. Please see the pictures so you can a feel for what it is like.

Site 58:
- small tent (58b)
- small tent (58c)
- large tent (probable, but didn't check ground for stumps under leaves) (58d)

Site 62:
- medium tent (62c)
- small tent, but not quite level and is close to table (just to left of table 62d)
-small-medium tent to right of fire pit. Larger space, but can't put tent too close to fire and will want to save some of space for chairs. (62b)

And of course there is the driveway for a camping car/trailer at each site.

Please consider what we have available as tent spots. Remember we are trying to fit 8 people at one site and 7 people at the other. Are people comfortable with fitting everyone into these tent spots? Sharing tents? Or do you think we need another site to spread out? I really need people to give input on this - I'm not going to arbitrarily make the decision for the group!
Taeriel's costume page
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for the updates and clarification, Alison.

Dale and I will be using our car as our tent, and have already told Eva that we will be sharing her site. For those still undecided or interested, I'd advise to please make a decision ASAP, and to have a Plan B, in case you wanted to share with someone and might have to pull out. It's not fair moneywise for someone to put up some money for a site, and have their prospective campmates not show up!

We've got two months to go, and we need to finalize things, including discussing food, who's bringing what, things to do there, a costumed photo shoot, etc.

Like I said before, Costco and Sportsmansguide.com, as well as sporting goods stores are bringing out there camping merchandise, and there are frequent specials for them as well.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ciscotiger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, but for clarification: we have two camps for 16 people. Do I need to reserve a car space still and find someone if he/she wants to carpool/ and/or share a parking space/camp site?
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost. We have two common sites, and for those sites, 15 people Friday night and 12 people Sat night. You do not need to find someone to share a campsite as you are already listed as one of those people. Smile We haven't figured out who is staying at which site yet for everyone. I don't figure there is a rush at the moment on who is at which site as long as we know we have enough room.

We are restricted in the number of cars we can have at the campground overnight. Rules for this campground state that we are allowed only two cars per site. Thanks for reminding me about this; I missed it in the info transfer from the other thread. I will add it to the first post.

Each campsite comes with one free day-use pass for the park for one car. This means we have a total of two free car passes. After that, the other two cars will have to pay $10/day each separately from the camping fees.

So yes, it would be a good idea for us to figure out ahead of time who is driving, and to plan on carpooling. Roughly speaking, we would want 3-4 people per car for the numbers to work.
Taeriel's costume page
Ciscotiger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Alison! I'll have to carpool with someone, just total my car this morning from what the adjuster said over the phone. He'll be here an hour to make a formal evaluation.
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!! That's terrible! Are you ok??

We will make sure that you are covered with a ride to the camping trip, no worries there.
Taeriel's costume page
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying hard to make this trip. It's been far, far too long since I went camping. I'm a long time backpacker as well as car camping, so I've got more than enough gear for any trip.

At this point, I would like to stay overnight at least Sat, but I don't know for sure yet.

So, I guess I'm tenative- I have no problemo with putting up $$ to share a site with as well as an extra car fee.

I would of course, be bringing my Endor Commando!
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to have you join us. Smile I've updated the lists to add you to the tentative list for Sat night.

Please keep an eye on the attendance stats. Tentative numbers are not counted for the campsite totals when figuring out how many sites we reserve. If we have slots left over then it will be available to those on the tentative list. If we run out of open slots, then people can be free to either get their own site themselves or join us for the day but not camp overnight.
Taeriel's costume page
newjedigirl (Rachel Miller)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ming and I are planning to stay with Eva and Angelica at her site. I believe we are planning to carpool down together. I have some camping equipment so let me know what I need to bring.
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the date gets a little closer, we will start discussing equipment. Probably next month, I'd guess.

Keep in mind that we will need to carpool a couple of people per car. We are allowed only two cars per site.
Taeriel's costume page
Master Mina (Robin Parker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea of camping is at the Hilton or Marriott. ROTF ...just kidding, sort of.

Sorry gang, I'm just not a camper...never have been (even tho grampa tried to convert me) and never will be. Don't forget the Smores...it's the best part about camping.

Have fun. Smile
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Luke Endor poncho in progress:

Very Happy

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Master Mina (Robin Parker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:
My Luke Endor poncho in progress:

Very Happy

You're gonna need that while camping... Laughing
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take a moment to orient all our campers with the rules we will need to follow during this trip. First, the campground has a set of rules that everyone should read over and be sure to abide by. Second, as an RL event (even though recreational), we should remember to follow the RL code of conduct. Both of these are common sense type of things, but please be sure to read through and follow them.

Campground Rules - highlighting ones to particularly keep in mind

* Length of stay limit is seven days. Campers are limited to 30 days total within the Santa Cruz district.

* Campers 18 years and younger must have a verifiable note with permission to camp from a parent or legal guardian.

* Checkout time is noon. Check-in time is 2pm.

* Park vehicles in the driveway of your campsite only. Park extra cars at the campfire center. Only two cars are allowed per campsite.

* Maximum of 8 people allowed per campsite.

* Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times and re permitted only on paved roads, Meadow trail and Graham Hill Trail. Keep pets in at night and never leave them unattended.

* Be alert to hikers and children playing. The park speed limit is 15 mph.

* All alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the campground

* For your safety and their health, do not feed the wildlife; they can be aggressive and dangerous, and may carry disease.

*Build campfires in the fire rings only. Wood gathering is not allowed. Firewood is sold at the campground entrance. Do not throw trash or wood pallets into the fire rings.

* Bicycles are allowed on designated fire roads and paved roads only. No bikes are allowed on park trails. Ride cautiously; yield to hikers and horseback riders. Helmets are required for riders under 18 years of age.

* At no time may music or noise extend beyond the limits of your own campsite. Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. Radios and TVs must be off after 10:00 p.m. Use generators sparingly from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. only.

* No water or effluent may be discharged onto the ground.

* Campsites are vulnerable to theft at any time. Secure valuables and equipment and report all suspicious activity to park staff. After hours dial 911. Pay phones are located at the campground entrance.

RL Code of Conduct
Legion members are expected to be courteous and respectful towards their fellow members, the greater Star Wars community, and the general public.

1. Members must not use foul language, obscene gestures, and the use of alcohol or tobacco is prohibited while in costume and in view of the public, especially children. However, any convention or gathering where adult content is prevalent and/or is not considered an official Rebel Legion event, these standards may be relaxed.
2. Members must never use their costumes for any profit-making endeavor (personal, political, or religious), other than those related to or affiliated with the Star Wars franchise.
3. Members must never disparage any fellow costumer, fellow member of the Rebel Legion, or member of any other costume club/group in public.
4. Members must not cause any disharmony within our club or in the Star Wars community.
5. Members must always show respect and appreciation to those who wear real uniforms for our safety: our military, police, fire fighters, and paramedics.
6. The Rebel Legion will not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, religion, creed, nationality, sexual orientation, or physical handicap.
7. The Rebel Legion will not tolerate the practice of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment by any of its members. This includes unwelcome conduct that violates applicable local laws concerning sexual harassment and inappropriate conduct of a sexual nature.
8. Acting in a threatening or violent manner, theft, and illegal substance abuse are all prohibited, as they are unacceptable behavior in a professional environment.
9. Members who use any Rebel Legion Website, forum, or mailing list will obey the rules and regulations set forth by the site administrators.

It is generally outside the scope of this club's jurisdiction to discipline members for their behavior outside of Rebel Legion activities. However, the Legion Council reserves the right to punish members for their actions in accordance with the above Code of Conduct. The decision to discipline members for their actions outside the Legion is at the discretion of the Legion Council.
Taeriel's costume page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: