About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6ecf4910103c75d88fe209fd129a81b9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Starting my Clone Wars Ani
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted A waist seam that could be covered by the obi( majorly so it would have a more fitted look). And i thought the same thing originally when i first saw the pics as well about the sides. the bottom of the coat is one solid piece sewn at the waist with a slit at the back. i think the inner tunic stick out on the side there is actually anther inner tunic behind it cause i can see two right arm sleeves.
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can't really do the coat as just one piece of fabric, it has to be two if your double layering it, and the reason it looks like "one" is that the waist seam and the shoulder seams are hidden by the obi and armor. And yeah, that's my tunic stickin' out behind it, there is no split on the sides. There is an angled curve on the sides to form two pairs of "tails", two in front, two in back, I had my action figure and the CW movie to reference that little part.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok. Actually mine was made from one piece; although it is single layered to help with the heat.

Although I really have never seen the surcoat with the tails. I'm not sure anyone on SotS had made it like that, but I would be very interested to see how it turned out with them
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan did his with a more inward curve on the sides, and Darkside over there did his with a noticable "animated style" curve, though his was four(eight) pieces which probably made it easier for him.

My first attempt with my own coat replacing the bottom half turned out less exact than Hoyt's, the back tails actual end up crossing because I only did a strait cut up the back...whoops. Something I need to open mine up for to fix before I send in my TCW submission in a couple weeks. the good thing is fixing something like that is easier done than said since the only seam to rip out is on the fold at the waist. Turn the bottom inside out again, mod the tails, and flip rightside out once more to reattach.

It was a pain figuring it out until I realize the basic method was just like making a pair of pants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can suggest something. I would run it by the Jedi LCJ's before submission. Of everyone who has made this, none of them have the tails, and I would be concerned about it getting formal status.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was planning on doing than anyway but i got a few months before i will be submitting it anyway just because i am out of the country right now fighting separatists (deployed) you see, just trying to get some oppinions.

armor and pouches are almost completed as well. once i return home everythng should be completed and ready and hopefully by V is everything is up to snuff will be approved.... I hope Neutral
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, now I found why no one does the tails...I'm still collecting references though.

They keep fluxing in the animation between being there and being only kind'a noticeable. Some of the pre-vis work, and a lot of the action figures have them though. There is always though a definite curve on the sides to create those points, it just keeps going from highly noticeable to subtle.

I've got a collection of references that show the tails though in pre-visualization and in the statuettes and toys, and I'm looking through the movie for where I saw them look more prominent there. If you need me to send it to the LCJs directly or if I should post them here, let me know, since I did his coat the same way I redid mine.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not offer judgments before costumes are submitted but I will tell you that open sides on the surcoat will not make it formally approved according to previously approved costumes and the standards.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, the sides are not open like a set of tabard flaps. they're solid one piece, there's just a curve there to create the points

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/Commisions/DSCN1025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/Commisions/DSCN1028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/Commisions/DSCN1028.jpg

That I can bring in to make it more subtle isfwe need to, but there was a number of references I used for images, including some of the Action figures, which definitely have that curve.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/Commisions/TCWanakin2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/Commisions/sw-cw-anakin-maquette.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/Commisions/VPsteward1.jpg

I'm not trying to argue, but since we were called on to reference it...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not use typically action figures as a reference for something like CW which has tons of opportunities for screencaps.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not wanting this to turn into an arguement either. Nor am i wanting "preapproval". Just wanting friendly advice and oppinions on how it looks.

i just dont want you guys to think i am trying to get standards changed not what i am wanting at all they are there for a reason and have been hashed out. just want to know if you guys think it will pass and such. not trying to be nit picky, if it has be changed, i can change it or make another to get formal approval if it does not pass for formal approval the first time around. that being said.

Thank you guys for your feedback keep it coming Very Happy
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the update after the suggested corrections let me know what you guys think.

Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
We do not use typically action figures as a reference for something like CW which has tons of opportunities for screencaps.

+1

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sgt carida (Wally Peters)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of interpretation from the Clone Wars to making the real life costumes for almost every single one of these characters. I’ve been watching the CW Anakin’s getting approved here for almost 2 years and each one of them has something we could all “pick apart” and say it isn’t true to the cartoon or reality.

I can see the points on the tabards from time to time in the cartoon so I can see them on someone’s here. I think it is looking good so far.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea Chris and i decided to change it sos not to split hairs. the last thing we want is to cause a ruckus, the sides were never open or had any kind of slit it was just the "curve" of the bottom of the surcoat the was raising eye brows i guess. personally i dont know why. But the LMO and LCJ's have a job to do and i understand the standards are there for a reason but it also depends on how you read the standards and your interpretation of how they are written, but anyway I am just glad that it is fixed that is the main thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: