Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=07575341395f04db667fc403561b2fa4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Free Comic Book Day-Arlington, Va 5/1/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Terrapin Base -> Terrapin Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (1)

(1)

(2)

User Registered Confirmed
AmalphieaFri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm
Jedi JousterWed Apr 14, 2010 3:03 pm
ShadowScoutThu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 am
Combes777Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:35 am
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Free Comic Book Day-Arlington, Va 5/1/10 Reply with quote

This was sent to Freedom Base and it was decided to open it up to Terrapin after talking with Richard.
Here is the information, and below it is the email that we got today from the POC, Mathew Klokel

Contact Name:: Matthew Klokel
Contact Phone:: 949-278-3466
Contact Email:: matt@fantomcomics.com
Organization:: Fantom Comics
Event Name: : Free Comic Book Day
Venue / Facility: : Fashion Centre at Pentagon City Mall
City:: Arlington
State/Province:: VA
Start Date: : 5-1-10
End Date: : 5-1-10
Start Time:: 10am
End Time:: 9pm
Event Website (if any):: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/
Approximate number of attendees:: 20,000
Number of characters requested:: 8
Characters requested:: Rebel Pilots, Jedi, Royalty, Rebel Troopers, Droids, Other
Please list additional and/or specific character requests. In addition, besides the : Also very interested in Imperial Stormtroopers
Can you provide a secure changing room/staging area to accommodate costumed attendees?: Yes,
Please (briefly) describe the event and your organization's role:: Free Comic Book Day is a national event. Huge in the comic book world. Also, Pentagon City management is getting completely behind the event. It\'s embraced the idea and plans to make it a mall-wide promotion. You\'ll have free reign to roam the halls and there will even be a photo shoot for a half hour or so. The mall\'s marketing team will be working to get local media attention, and this will be great publicity. We want about 4 people walking the halls at any one time, so if we can get around 10 people there should be plenty of breaks, and of course, food is on us for the entire day.
How did you hear about us? : We used you last yea
r

Quote:
Joel et al,

I just returned from meeting the marketing manager at the Pentagon City Mall. These guys are very serious. Very professional. He told me the mall can expect upwards of 40,000 visitors that Saturday, and he is putting his team to work ensuring every one of them sees you and us. He also wants to do the photo op I mentioned. What he was thinking was to charge maybe $3 a picture, with 100% of the cash to be donated to charity: the Simon Youth Foundation. That's in addition to Fantom Comics' contribution to the charities of your choice.

Here's the thing: the mall is prepared to invest time, money and its reputation to heavily promote Free Comic Book Day, us, and you guys, including sending out press releases to the major DC newspapers and trying to get their contacts at the local news networks to come down. As such, I'm going to need to sign an agreement later next week guaranteeing that I'm going to come through with all we're doing (creator signings, free comics, a prize wheel...and you guys).

Can we push up the timetable to get confirms? Before I sign I'm going to need to know - roughly - how many of each character we'll have. It doesn't have to be exact, but I'd need to be able to, say, guarantee 6 storm troopers, 2 Jedi, etc. Will that be doable?

As to your specific questions (and additional details):

-Yes, they have a boardroom they said you could use as a changing room. I can leave an employee there all day to guard the equipment/clothing
-They will provide parking vouchers for all participants
-We'll begin at 10am and go on til 8pm. It makes the most sense to have the first round of characters there around 9am. The parking lot will be open at that time
-Lunch/dinner stipend will be provided by Fantom Comics
-Depending on the number of participants (and he said there's no top limit...the more the better), we can work out maybe 2 or 3 shifts, so none of your guys gets overtaxed

Yours,
Matt Klokel

As you can see....they are VERY serious about this event.
I would like to try and get our numbers up and get confirmations of attending definitely by April 15th

If you are definitely able to attend, please post.
thanks
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this email today from the POC.
Are there any members of Terrapin Base that are willing to attend this.
We currently have 9 on the 501st side.
I would hate for them to show us up.
thanks
Quote:
Hello,

I'm getting some pressure from the Pentagon City Mall. This event has outgrown our little store. Pentagon wants to promote Star Wars and Free Comics all over the DC metro area, but they won't do anything until I can sign a contract assuring I can deliver. Everything is set but the number of Star Wars characters.

Is there a time I can expect to know what we have to work with? The sooner, the better. Sorry to push (I mean, you're volunteers, after all!), but I'm getting pushed and I don't want us to miss the window.

Thanks as always,
Matt Klokel

Silverback (Richard Berry)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for this on the freedom base list
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard....think you can wrangle and others to the event?
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved the upcoming events back to the main forum so that members can register for them. We will move them back to the base events thread once the registration issue is worked out.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Aurabesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but I'll be on a Harley weekend ride then.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the email from Matt Klokel earlier this evening who is the POC for the event
Quote:
Folks,

Talked with the mall management and tried to get as many answers as possible. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

1) When arriving at the mall, you should park at P38 and enter the mall through the back hallway leading to the management office. There’ll be one of our guys waiting for you there with parking vouchers and directions to the store.

2) Regarding starting times, I think the best way to handle this is simply to take your guys as they come. So long as I’ve got at least 2 of you together at one time, we’re good.

3) We’ve got 3 focus points for your guys. 1) the store; 2) the common area the mall set aside for us for our prize wheel and comic book creators; 3) The mall is setting aside a space in the food court for you guys to set up as a forward base. It’ll be a place you can pose for pictures and they’ll have FCBD signs and we’ll have 1 or 2 employees with you to let people know where we are. You’ll be superstars, with several thousand people surrounding you at any one time all day! I figured your guys could “patrol the mall”, between those 3 spots. I hope that sounds okay.

4) Regarding the times, obviously, the more hours I can have you the better, but the big hours will be noon – 4 or so, I’d say. Even at 8pm there’ll be thousands and thousands of people in the mall, but during those hours it’ll be insane.

5) As I told Joel today, please feel free to have your guys call me on my cell at any time. It’s 949-278-3466. Since the day will be pretty chaotic, in case you can’t reach me you can contact my #2, Andrew Porter, on his cell at: 910-322-1771. As a last ditch, you can call the store at 703-415-2094.

Thanks again, guys! This is gonna be great!

Matt

Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, we can prob swing 12-4, I'll check with Richard but I'm sure no one will mind sleeping in a bit.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Silverback (Richard Berry)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 - 4 is good for me.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea!! Sleeping in!!!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellie...I left a response on the Freedom Base thread for this event regarding the banner, but if you have an RL banner, please bring it.
thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Terrapin Base -> Terrapin Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: