Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f353cc27fb8c0a16fc6dfa5d11fa9202Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Work in Progress - Clone Wars Anakin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Work in Progress - Clone Wars Anakin Reply with quote

Something I've been kind'a workin on over the last year or so, more on the side with upgrading and replacing parts on my ROTS Anakin.

So I finally got armor forms cut from craft foam, gonn'a pick up the sintra sheets tomorrow, and just trying to figure out exact thickness proportions that would work, as well as figured get input from my fellow Rebels. ^^

Armor forms for chest plates and shoulder, and then the cloth sections respectively. The second photo was taken and the end of May last year, so several parts, like my old pouches, are already replaced with Diego's sweet sweet functional sets, and I'm right now working on making a new lower section of the sur-coat to extend down past the inner tunic and flare out more. Also making some new burgundy pants, I had used my older "retired" AOTC pants for the convention.

So, advise, thoughts on the thicknesses I should aim for, other words of wisdom and help? I'm hoping to have this finished around June or July, in time to have less layers for trooping during the summer heat.
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked prices for the stuff some of the guys make and have sold here? It seems to be good armor. Will you be able to make it cheaper than just buying some pre-made, once you spend $$$ on supplies and your time. Good luck.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually is cheaper and more worthwhile as a learning experience to do it myself. One of the other garrison cadets has a bunch of Sintra he'd donating in return for costume work later on when he needs it, and after that, it's just working the sintra into form and smoothing it before the paint job. I'm not knocking defyitall's work, which is fantastic, but it's out of the immediate budget range, and like I said, since I have a small home based costume shop, it's better I start learning to make armor myself, and know how to do it for the future.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used 3 mm, but then added strips on to the edges to give it more thickness and to create the grooves in between the slats
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the stuff we're using is 6 mm. nice and thick. Probably gonn'a have to do some cutting in for the groves and section notches.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And progress has been made! Armor is coming along nicely, with the shoulders shaped and ready for painting. The chest plates still need to be cut and mounted to the brown stretch, but all in all, much more along, and hopefully ready in time to be approved and trooped in for the Nampa SWIC.

Shoulder Bells

one from the side to show the curve

front of the tunic and coat

back view

And I did do a double check in TCW movie, Anakin's coat most DEFINITELY does have the side curves even when standing still, they're just more subtle than my first attempt had been. so for that reference...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/Zelda/Cosplay/Costumes/Reference_CurveTail01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/Zelda/Cosplay/Costumes/Reference_CurveTail02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/Zelda/Cosplay/Costumes/Reference_CurveTail04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/Zelda/Cosplay/Costumes/Reference_CurveTail05.jpg
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good Chris. When I finally make my New Republic Jedi we will have to talk about armour...

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Chris!!!!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfen wrote:
Lookin good Chris. When I finally make my New Republic Jedi we will have to talk about armour...

I just ordered some foot by foot plates of Sintra from the gathering Sam is getting, so we can definitely look into making you some armor plates.

Did I mention I LOVE this stuff for armor work? ^^
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a few days, I think I'm good to "double post".

Something I noted while rechecking the standards. In particular, I noted something that I wanted to get double checked before I decided on selling my old glove or not...

"10. Right hand ROTS style glove without buckles."

So, if any LCJs come by and see this, I need to get something clarified. Since the glove in the show does NOT have the ribbing on the top of the hand, will a ROTS glove with switched out leather "buckles" instead of the metal work, or does it have to be bare straps without belting, and no ribbing?

I also noticed there is no listing on the pants in the standards. An oversight or something that accidentally got left off?
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to wear pants.....
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glove does have the ribbing on the bottom half, but no buckles at all on the top half.
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostSkywalker wrote:
It's been a few days, I think I'm good to "double post".

Something I noted while rechecking the standards. In particular, I noted something that I wanted to get double checked before I decided on selling my old glove or not...

"10. Right hand ROTS style glove without buckles."

So, if any LCJs come by and see this, I need to get something clarified. Since the glove in the show does NOT have the ribbing on the top of the hand, will a ROTS glove with switched out leather "buckles" instead of the metal work, or does it have to be bare straps without belting, and no ribbing?

I also noticed there is no listing on the pants in the standards. An oversight or something that accidentally got left off?

No buckles on the right glove. If you want to reuse your ROTS glove, you'll have to take the buckles off and use something else.

Lack of description of pants may have been an oversight. Either brown pants or pants matching the color of your inner tunic.

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dickies makes a good pair of red work pants; that a lot of us have used. I believe the link can be found on SotS.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No buckles on the right glove. If you want to reuse your ROTS glove, you'll have to take the buckles off and use something else. "

That was the implication with "leather 'buckles'". The question wasn't the buckles, since i have a new set of leather "bridges" on the way, it was if having the top hand "shock" ribbing from RotS was okay or not, and if the straps had to be bare or could have the black serpentine belting. I guess getting one of those questions actually answered will be enough for now.

And yes, Shane, I know I have to wear pants. We're Jedi, not Scotts. =P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: