About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2eff89af6a52f63499c4051b50c5f9eeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

COMIC CON questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Rock ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: COMIC CON questions Reply with quote

Hey gang,
I've never been to a comic-con, dragon-con, SW Celebration......nothing.
(can I still hang out? haha)

So, I was looking at 'membership' prices online last night, and saw $30 for an all days ticket. Is it really that cheap to get in? Should I expect some other off the wall expenses (other than buying stuff, I'm sure)??

I just thought it would be more than that to get in.

And, is there anything else I should know, as a spectator? Just show up, and walk around????

I haven't signed up for any Legion volunteering tho, because I wanted to be able to just come and see what it's all about, being my first 'Con. Besides, my Tusken is still nothing more than some shiny, silver helmet pieces...........
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix Comicon is a GREAT deal at $30...by contrast, San Diego Comic Con and DragonCon run about $100, Celebration V about $125.

The only real expenses you'll incur at the con are autographs, which tend to run about $25 per signature (depending on the media guest), and food (either in the Convention Center cafe or nearby restaurants).

Also, keep in mind that parking downtown is not free.

So, come down, wear comfortable shoes and enjoy the Convention experience. There will be a lot to see and hopefully a lot to do.

And be sure to stop by the "Star Wars Pavilion"! Wink
RL Trading Card: Series 1, Number 44
RL Trading Card: Series 3, Number 137

"I feel the need...the need for Rebellion!"
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have anything to tote around with you, consider using the light rail instead of driving and having to pay for parking. There is a light rail stop within yards of the convention center entrance.

When you get there, make sure the first thing you do is grab a schedule. There will probably be panels that you will be interested in seeing that will be listed on the schedule.

David L.
SpaceWolf (Jay Zarecki)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

be sure tyo plan on one thing... nothing goes to plan!

i cant tell you how many years in the past ive selected panels or whatever and i never get to go for some reason or another.

i DO know that the PCC site should have up a personalized panel scheduler on the main page.

i think there are some jedi thing and some droid panel dealio that ive heard about, i might go to them. Cool
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...Comic Con... Cool

As some famous general said, "Plans are useless. Planning is priceless."

I would highly recommend checking the convention schedule at least a few days before the con so you can get a feel for what will be going on. Sometimes an actor will be there for multiple days, or just one day.

A backpack/messenger bag will be your friend and enemy at a convention. On the one hand, its good because you can pack granola bars, chips, water bottles, etc. so you don't have to buy convention food (you are allowed to bring an individual sized serving of food into the convention center; they tend to frown on the extra large pepperoni pizza Wink ). On the other hand, when you have a bag you tend to carry more because you know you have somewhere to put stuff.

I also recommend bringing a book, mp3 player, or equivalent so you'll have something to do while you wait in line. Phoenix Comic Con is not nearly as bad as San Diego or Dragon*Con in most cases, but some panels people will start lining up an hour beforehand, so a wait of 30-60 minutes is not unheard of especially for the big name actors (San Diego has gotten so insane that people camp out the night before to get the best seats in Hall H. Surprised ). If there is a panel you really want to see, get there at least a half-hour in advance. If you don't care that much, show up about ten-fifteen minutes before the panel starts.

Advice that I give a lot but have a hard time following myself is to curb your impulse buys. Don't buy the first thing that makes you go "Oh, SHINY!" because Phoenix Comicon will have lots of things that could catch your eye. My general rule of thumb is to wait until Sunday to buy things, unless its a specific item I have spent years looking for and may never see it again unless I buy it as soon as I see (original art, certain comic book issues, etc). It used to be conventional wisdom that dealers lowered prices and/or were more receptive to negotiations on Sunday, but with the economy and machines to process credit cards that doesn't happen as much these days.

Which does bring me to another point that you should take cash with you if you are planning to purchase anything. Many dealers will have credit card machines, but not all, and sometimes you can knock a few bucks off the price if you have cash (or at the very least the dealer covers the taxes; if you charge something, you get charged tax and frequently an extra charge for using the credit card to cover the cost of the credit card machine).

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: