Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=92b138639e161441c9fcab88a4d58eb8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wash your Wookiee..... please!.. Pic heavy!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Wash your Wookiee..... please!.. Pic heavy!! Reply with quote

"Ok… time to wash your Wookiee sir! "
For many of the new Wookiees out there this is something you will eventually get to hear from people you troop with. There is no Fabreeze or deodorant in the world that can mask the eventual smell that your Wookiee will give off! So here are a few pictures that I took washing my mask with a little information to help you along the way.

First…. Remove the mask from your hard skull. This is important because of all the chemicals used on your mask you do not know what some soap will do to the “Other parts”. Between the salt from sweat on other chemicals you may notice bobby pins and other things can start to rust…. Another reason this should be done from time to time.

Remove hairpins where you can… you may fin some hair pins are actually encrusted into place! Do not force these, for you can damage the mask/ hair. You will be able to remove these once the mast is actually in the water.

Once removed you can do either the hard mask or the latex/silicone mask… up to you, both should be cleaned as some point though.

Once removed set up a sink or a basin of lukewarm water with a little soap. I suggest going with a very… very mild soap like Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo or something of that nature. Do not use a hard chemical because this is synthetic hair… mix the wrong chemical and who knows how much damage you could do.

Gently place the mask in the water…. And let sit for a few min, gently agitate the mask here and there to remove loose dirt and salt along with hair spray residue. Check the hair for Bobby pins as well that you might have missed when you first removed the mask.

Once your mask has gone into the bath for a few mins… go ahead and remove the mask. Replace the dirty soap water and repeat the washing.

Do this till there is no more dirt left in the water. Then do a rinse treatment where you have a basin or sink filled with just water… no soap. Rinse all the soap out of the mask.

Gently pull the mask out of the water and let drip for a few mins before placing on a towel.

Lay a few towels down on a flat surface that you can place your mask on. Lay down the mask and place another towel over the mask. Gently press on the towel to help remove any excess water from the hair, and help dry the mask… do this step a few times with fresh towels to get your mask dry!

Once dry you will be able to place the mask back on the clean hard skull that you washed as well. You will have to re-groom your Wookiee at this point!

I would advise anyone who has a Wookiee to use as many bobby pins and hair spray as needed to achieve the look your going for. When using Bobby pins I recommend doing so in layers… no in clumps.

You can easily hide the hairpins with 1 layer of hair sprayed over another. Its by doing the hair in layers that will allow you to get hair out of your eyes as well… do a little at a time, then add a bit more.

There are many versions of the Wookiees out there, and many are achievable with a little practice and patience. I tend to go for the scruffy looking Wookiee, not the smooth head. So more of an Endor look.

Hope this was helpful to some of the new Wookiees out there!

Good luck!

Bob
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob.
Great instructions!!
Any suggestions as to what to do with the suit??
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be allot of the same, gentle soaps and gentle agitation... nothing that would cause major issues with the synthetic hairs.

I would recomend a large tub or even the bath tube for your wooks. For those who went with a 2 piece suit you should have an easier time cleaning and drying for obvious reason.
There shouldn't be nearly as many chemicals and hairspray in your body suits so the cleaning should be allot easier IMO.

I did not go with pics of my suit because I doubt it would do the majority of the other wookies anygood because I do not have a latch hook system for my body suit. My suit is hair from NFT. The cleaning instruction I have are different from most of the other wookiees out there because of it.

I would however recomend buying allot of fabreeze and being diligent about leaving the suit out to breathe after events. If you leave your suit balled up full of sweat over a long period of time... not only can the sweat turn rancid, but the salt/sweat combination can actually eat thru metal fast via rust. So things like snaps can be turned into poweder in the mater of a few troops if you do not take care of your suit propperly!

take care of your suit, or your friends will not wanna stand next to you...lol.

Bob
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of what I thought. Thanks
My Vader suit has a prominent place in my garage!! Laughing Laughing
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful information

I smuggle anything but slaves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: