About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4df0710a3cbb5084de8243fc0be11fb8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chancellor Palpatine - standards correction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Chancellor Palpatine - standards correction? Reply with quote

I'm not re-writing all new standards for Palpatine. So I'm not sure where to bring this up since Becca has told me all of the standards are being re-reviewed.

I was reading the standard for the Ep III Palatine Opera scene robes, and the fabric description for his outer robe is incorrect. I saw this fabric at FIDM and seeing in person is quite different than what the camera shows.

Here is a photo from FIDM on Maggie's web site:
(you may have to copy and paste if she disabled linking)
http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/palp2.jpg

I don't believe the outer robe and yoke mantle were actually velvet. Yes, I think Velvet should still be considered a viable substitute and accepted by the legion. (An iridescent velvet with black pile and gold backing could look excellent! Or vice-versa.) It would be awful if someone was working on this costume and chose that fabric and we turned around and totally 'changed' the standard on them.

But in actuality it should be noted that the V shaped yoke and the floor length outer robe are more of an iridescent taffeta (or Heavy Habotai) type fabric that was treated to be permanently 3 dimensionally shaped into a crinkled geometric pattern. So in actuality, that sort of fabric choice should be noted and acceptable since as I recall, it is what was used on the screen used costume.

Just wanted to put it out there for any LCJs or LMO to be aware of Smile

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post a link to this in the proper forum, Kathy. Thanks.

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I'll post a link to this in the proper forum, Kathy. Thanks.

Thanks Smile I knew there was a forum for submitting new standards but since this was a standard that already existed I wasn't sure where to post my thoughts/notes on this garment. I just remember staring at that fabric every time I walked through that Sith room at FIDM because it was so cool! I've seen some synthetic fabrics in the stores recently that have a similar 3-D treatment but I don't think I've ever seen that dark iridescent bronze color. Usually blues and purples and such.

I can't say that I actually TOUCHED the fabric, so there is a chance it could have some very slight nap to it like a velvet, but it certainly wasn't like a traditional velvet and my memory is actually that it was more of an iridescent sort of fabric (Black combined with bronze) in a 3-D molded pattern - more along the lines of a taffeta.

The male senators have some fabulous garments. I suspect we don't see any of them in the legion yet because in most cases, a woman would have to spend a lot of time making such elaborate robes with lavish nearly impossible to find fabrics (not to say we don't have men who sew, just seems to be the women who take up that hobby more so). And well, we have too much "fun" putting that effort into our own Padme/Handmaiden garments! (I use the word "fun" in a slightly sarcastic way. The fun can sometimes be a year or two of frustration - lol!)

Oh, if it helps I found one of my own close-ups of the fabric:

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like shot velvet to me(just like the Padme Naboo robe) that has been gathered to make those designs in the fabric. I would say that the pile is dark brown or black and the backing is gold (again just like the Padme Naboo robe but only that had blue pile) You can see here from the pic of the Padme robe(copy and paste): http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/robe2_med.jpg

And I know you had pics too that showed the gold backing of the robe and I think they used similar fabric just a different color pile and a different technique to gather the fabric.
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, my recollection is that it was more of a shot non-velvet type fabric. Maybe it will be on display again one day or one of us will have a contact at LFL archives we can chat with Smile

It's definitely more of a permanent 3 D mold treatment to the fabric. Those little squares in the center are just so defined and sharp. Not smocked. More like one of those groovy pre-pressed 3 d fabrics I've seen around. I'm not working on the costume, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me honestly. Maybe my strong memory of the fabric is off, I am getting old and it was a few years ago. LOL! I just remember it being more of a shimmery non-velvet every time I'd walk by and was drawn to the unique 3-d pattern Smile I was so intrigued I did make an effort to photograph it but I really doubt I took notes on the fabric because, you know, you think you'll just remember. LOL! And well, the Padme, Leia and Han costumes were more important Wink

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what it reminds me of, it makes me think of the trapunto that they did on the Queen Amidala Senate address gown's sleeve cuffs and neckline.

http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/senate/senate23.jpg (copy and paste)

I do agree with Becca that it looks like shot velvet, but of course, seeing something in person is totally different than via pictures.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: