Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1a7a56a1ffed795cc353e15e082e4ecdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WonderCon 2010 - Yes or No to Booth Charity Raffle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we do a charity raffle at our booth this year?
No - it's too much work
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Yes - it is fun!
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Users Voted : 17
Total Votes : 17
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results/Undo Votes

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: WonderCon 2010 - Yes or No to Booth Charity Raffle? Reply with quote

I'd like to get the input of our membership before making a decision on whether or not to hold a charity raffle at our WonderCon booth again this year. We've done this two years running so far. The first year earning roughly $300 for Autism Speaks, and I believe last year it was about $650 for Boys and Girls Clubs of San Francisco.

I want to know, is this something you all would feel comfortable donating items to, helping sell raffle tickets, and contacting winners to give out their prizes each day this year (or maybe just Saturday?) It does take some effort to keep track of the funds and selling tickets through the day, and keeping track of who won which prize so they can be handed out before the closing of the con.

I found it takes at least 3-4 people at the booth the hour we do the raffle winner announcement drawing. (one chooses tickets and announces winners to the crowd, one writes down the winning ticket information next to the prize on the tally sheet, one calls cell phone numbers to notify winners, and another tapes the winning ticket number to the prizes with the name written on it if people are not there to pick up the prize at that moment!)

I encourage you all to cast your vote. And if you feel comfortable speaking about it, chime in here with ideas. Thanks Smile

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll contact companies for prizes again, and see what we get. I think depending on that will determine how big a raffle we have. A couple years ago, we had just 3 figures from Sideshow Collectibles. Fast forward to last year - WOW, what a difference!

With WonderCon falling on Easter Weekend, some members might not make it Sunday, or just show up one day of the con. So its a toss up. If we were to do it, maybe just on Saturday, with tickets being sold on Friday too. The raffles have been very rewarding raising funds for great causes. But at the same time, it takes a toll - especially on you, Kathy.

If we get prizes and decide not to do a raffle, I wouldn't mind having just donating the prizes for the raffle at the dinner instead.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kitfox (Karen Katich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will abstain on actually voting for this one, since I won't be there at Wonder Con this year (will be in Oklahoma for training Crying or Very sad). Otherwise I would vote yes, since I had been planning on helping you out Kathy for that day. If you decide to have one I would suggest just a one day raffle. Limits the amount of time and amount of headache, but still gives us the opportunity to continue to raise money to support our charity. Also it allows "others", which is other than our own members, the chance to win. Since the dinner is all 501st & RL members, the dinner raffle seems to be only what our own people donate & win. And though we are all the ultimate Star Wars fans who love to win Star Wars stuff, it would be nice to extend that to the outside world in the hopes to bring some additions to our group. But ultimately it is up to the person that has to take care of all this stuff and run the whole thing! I know the amount of work involved and amount of time dedicated to watching stuff and running the thing having done that for five years with the 501st table. Yeah, I didn't see much of the con those years because of that. I do have a couple of items that I would donate for the raffle if you decide to have one. I will let Tami know what they are and should you decide to have a raffle, she can bring it in to you (or get it to you prior to WC) as she plans to go to Wonder Con.

So good luck on whatever you decide. I know it is a lot of work, but it does reap some great rewards.

Karen Katich
Maris Brood
Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also going to abstain on the vote since I never participate in raffles even when I'm working at a table that is holding one. I can't ask the parents of my students to donate needed supplies for my classroom, much less ask total strangers for money at a con. Even when it's for a good cause, I'm never comfortable with asking... so I don't!

Pam :-)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Pam! I always have a horrible time asking people for money myself.

I'm really torn on this question. I love the idea of doing something good for charity, I really do. However, having said that, I suspect things are going to be a lot more more time-constrained this year. I think a lot of people won't be at the con on Sunday due to the holiday, which in turn means a number of our members will be fitting their con experience into just Sat (or perhaps Fri as well if they have the day off). Given that, I find myself considering that it might make more sense to skip the raffle for this year.
Taeriel's costume page
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we probably wouldn't do the raffle on Sunday (if we do it) since it sounds like we may barely have enough people just to man the table Sunday with it being Easter.

As for selling tickets, I never expect anyone to go out of their way to ask for money if they are not comfortable with it. I find for me it is 50/50. Sometimes I mention it, but last year in particular most people came to the table and asked ME about it. They asked what all these things on display were for, if they could buy them or enter the raffle so it was just a matter of explaining it to them once they asked. No hard sales pitch. Wink

Just some things to think about.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Master Mina (Robin Parker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted and recommend we bypass this year, mostly because it's Easter Weekend and, as Kathy has pointed out, the lack of members to work the raffle.

This club does a lot of other fund raising events, besides WonderCon. Barbie is holding a raffle with the 501st and since we are its sister club, we are with 1 degree of separation, participating in a raffle this year. Very Happy
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin, don't forget that is not just a 501st dinner. it is the 501st/RL dinner so the raffle at that dinner is credited to the RL and all the members who contribute Smile RL members donated raffle items last year, and bought raffle tickets.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wont let me undo my vote Sad
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I have the option selected to allow people to undo their votes... I don't know what to tell you Sad

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... it is tied right now! This feels familiar... you all have until tonight to vote Smile We need some people to break this tie.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you could extend it by a couple days?
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I think I'd just have to make the final call unfortunately. This poll has been up for weeks.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it was a very close vote! But I think given the fact that there are quite a few people who would rather not have to worry about the raffle this year we will not do one at the table. Maybe next year when more people are in town and we feel more confident about supporting it Smile

This year, we will put our donation focus into the Rebel Legion 501st dinner Friday. Be sure to contact Barbie to with any donations you have and coordinate getting your items to her Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: