About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9db0b9543169cd66069fa8ba6b8b5781Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blaster / Prop Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Jason, I am always on the look out for new blasters.

Phoenix 17
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
Please Jason, I am always on the look out for new blasters.

I was going to post a link, but it was an ebay purchase and the guy seems to be sold out for the time being. I have him saved in my favorite sellers, so if he posts more I'll definitely link it.

The blaster is made from a plastic airsoft (so of course it has the fake selector switch on the side); the flash hider, scope, and Revell pistons are plastic (They are definitely molded, but I"m not sure if they're resin or just plastic) while the scope mount is metal.

The scope is close to screen accurate but not quite--the lens on the front juts out too far, and there are two smaller lenses on the front that I haven't seen in a film version. Also, there's a (non-functional) dial on the side instead of the sideways-"C" shape you usually see. As a nice touch, he put a red plastic disc in the back of the scope, which gives it a nice look when the light hits it. The scope looks really slick, even if it's not 100% perfect to the screen.

The paint job is top-notch; my only issue aside from the scope is that there's a bit of flashing on the flash hider that wasn't sanded down enough, and if I sand it down I'll have to re-paint the hider. I may eventually but for now I'll let it stand.

The flash hider is hollow, but for some reason he epoxied the clip into the gun, so you can't fire airsoft pellets from it (though the cocking mechanism still works if you want a pop and a burst of air).

I'll try and get a few pictures posted by the weekend if I can. I'm also waiting on one of Mark's lightweight trooping blasters, which I will probably customize from here till doomsday when it arrives Smile.

[EDIT]Looks like he has a few more ready to go!
Blas-Tech DL44

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grey Elf wrote:

I was going to post a link, but it was an ebay purchase and the guy seems to be sold out for the time being. I have him saved in my favorite sellers, so if he posts more I'll definitely link it.

The blaster is made from a plastic airsoft (so of course it has the fake selector switch on the side); the flash hider, scope, and Revell pistons are plastic (They are definitely molded, but I"m not sure if they're resin or just plastic) while the scope mount is metal.

The scope is close to screen accurate but not quite--the lens on the front juts out too far, and there are two smaller lenses on the front that I haven't seen in a film version. Also, there's a (non-functional) dial on the side instead of the sideways-"C" shape you usually see. As a nice touch, he put a red plastic disc in the back of the scope, which gives it a nice look when the light hits it. The scope looks really slick, even if it's not 100% perfect to the screen.

The flash hider is hollow, but for some reason he epoxied the clip into the gun, so you can't fire airsoft pellets from it (though the cocking mechanism still works if you want a pop and a burst of air).

That looks like a cast of a fan made tank scope, not an original. Those "two smaller lenses on the front" are actually hex head socket screws, instead of recessed slotted screws, like the real ones have.

Kind of ugly to see those on there, IMO.

That "sideways-"C" shape" houses a hex head adjustment screw, instead of the knurled knob on the fan made version.

That's also the reason that the front lens it too long and a larger diameter. Not a bad fan made scope, but I've seen ones made that look more accurate.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually looks pretty neat close up when you have it in hand. The interior of the front lens (the part painted silver in the painting) is actually a convex piece, and the front lens extends past it. If I had a mind to, I could probably use my sawzall to cut that lens down, but I'm just going to leave it. I think it makes for a neat variant, if nothing else. The two hex screw heads look kind of "sciffy," if you'll pardon the pun Wink.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't get these airsoft guns in canada anymore. Crying or Very sad
I bought an extra MR blaster for costuming. it's nice and accurate, but it weighs a ton.
you can get Luke's MR blaster from starworld for ~$220+shipping.

for the price, this looks like a nice lightweight alternative. its not a perfect replica, but it could be altered.
--> (bought. thx for the heads-up) Razz
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mail him about his "Rebel Legion appreciation" deal. Essentially, he sends you a $5.00 rebate if you e-mail him a pic in costume holding the gun.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciation for Rebels, nice!

Phoenix 17
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are photos of the actual blaster. He did a minimal amount of weathering (though you might be able to request more). I'm debating whether to leave it looking new or weather it. Weathering it, of course, is more screen accurate, but DL-44's just look so slick when they look "new."

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the flash suppressor plastic or metal? it looks like the scope mount is metal, judging from the engraved numbers. how heavy is it overall? thx
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
is the flash suppressor plastic or metal? it looks like the scope mount is metal, judging from the engraved numbers. how heavy is it overall? thx

Scope mount is metal. Everything else is plastic. It's exceptionally lightweight.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grey Elf wrote:
Scope mount is metal. Everything else is plastic. It's exceptionally lightweight.

Very important to keep the weight down, for most holsters will not handle a heavy blaster for long periods very well.

Looks good so far!

Bob
MasterIstari (Chris Parker)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone is looking for a Luke Blaster, but I found this on eBay whilst I was searching for some DL-44's. I'm not sure how the whole posting links to eBay works, but if I'm doing something wrong by posting an eBay link here, I apologize.

I just know that you guys like looking at Blasters, and $299 doesn't seem like too bad of a price to pay for a MR Luke Blaster. If I had the cash I would definitely have bought it, but I just commissioned good ole Jay-Gon to build me a lightsaber, and there's another saber from the FX-Sabers forum that I have my eye on, and the girl won't let me blow too much money on sabers and blasters without giving me a hard time about it. So, without further ado...here is the link to the MR Luke Blaster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Master-Replicas-Luke-Skywalker-Blaster-LE-NEW-169_W0QQitemZ250580867103QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a57c8981f#ht_3362wt_1165
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's an even better deal here: $225 for the same blaster (new in sealed box)
http://shop.ebay.com/starworldtoys/m.html?_nkw=blaster Cool
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Looking good. Keep up the great. If you are thinking of weathering it I would agree it might look like a more "used" blaster

Phoenix 17
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
there's an even better deal here: $225 for the same blaster (new in sealed box)
http://shop.ebay.com/starworldtoys/m.html?_nkw=blaster Cool

Def. Cool, though once I found out about places like Blas-Tech and Unique Canes, I never looked back. Their blasters are just as good (IMO) as the MR ones, and half the price! Though for $225 it's worth it to get the plaque, display stand, etc...heck, it's not much more than a BT or UC one would cost!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: