About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1e602bde5158bbbcca283e50ac89015eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Our RL display at CV- who want's to help??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Celebration Anaheim (VII) -> Past Star Wars Celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Our RL display at CV- who want's to help?? Reply with quote

EDIT/UPDATE 7-15-2010:

Our newly redesigned layout (now with 100% more snowspeeder!):

The original thread:

(click on the above illustration for a larger version)

We're going to be building some things, and buying some things to put together our 'Rebel Base'.

The builds:
Computer consoles (as seen in Hoth Echo Base)
Tactical Screen (as seen in Hoth Echo Base)
Pilot Transport (as seen in Yavin Base)

The Modifications:
Display table
Shelf units

The things we'll need to buy multiples of:

Storage totes for cargo containers
Other 'Star Wars-y' containers
Shelf units
materials for the above builds

We are going to need all the physical and financial help we can get! If you would like to donate some $ (could even be small like $5) please contact me as I am the Ra Kura Base Prop Desgner/Builder for this set/booth

The physical labor and materials will needless-to-say have to come from local RL'ers. (Ra Kura Base) However, if you are somewhere in the far-flung regions of the Rebel-sphere and you would like to help, a financial contribution for materials would certainly be appreciated!! (We are working out a way to accept donations).

At the time of this writing, we don't have confirmation of what space we'll have, but our contacts at LFL are enthusiastic about our idea and the elements of our display can be arranged to fit any space.

The most ambitious items are the computer consoles, tactical screen, and the pilot transport vehicle. I have some pretty clear ideas of how to do all these; I'll just need help!!

We are hoping to be able to incorporate or be next to other fan displays to expand the 'Rebel Base' idea.

To see the progress of the build, go here:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319711#319711

More to come

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Last edited by Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley) on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark i wont be back til june but whatever you need me to help with i will be glad to once i return.
miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff -good luck RaKura base! There are no doubt lots of people like me who are ready to help however they can!
Mike
Elitediver ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what I can do for physical help and I will see about financial along the way.

Rick
Warhawk 25
Ra Kura Base
AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to help with this.
I have access to a laser engraver and can make all sorts of things. As long as they are no larger than 24" x 12". I was thinking the Tactical Board screen could be make it sections. Maybe 6, 12" W x 24" H sections of ¼" Acrylic.
Or I could just send a few bucks here and there as the budget permits.
Very cool stuff here!

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Locomotiva (Fabio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lathe and a Milling Machine
So I may help for small machined parts.
I have some iron and plastic PVC material handy, I can find some alluminium and hard wood, too.

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the Pond, So I can't do anything too big.

If you need something made on design, I'll do it and ship to Florida (I'll pay shipment)
And I sent a contrubution in money.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you doing the builds, please shoot some photos and/or video during the build, so that we might write up some tutorials for other bases to use at other cons.

Is the Rebel pilot transport going to move?

What about the shelving units and the cargo containers? These sound like items that many people could build given some basic guidelines and some parts lists.
crash (Jeff Goldin)
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some access to a wide bed printer(up to 42") so I might be able to help out with some signage.

I may be in NM but I've lugged stuff before cross country and if given a shipping address I can send stuff ahead. Or as I always say I can send some monies.. cause its always the right size and the right color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bluegrrl ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to lend a hand with construction - just let me know when you are setting up build days. I can do anything with the right directions, and I can even bring my own tools!
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good plan. Are you sure you can't borrow props from SWW?

Wink

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JRHermle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrrl wrote:
I would love to lend a hand with construction - just let me know when you are setting up build days. I can do anything with the right directions, and I can even bring my own tools!

Really... yeah, I'm thinking this wouldn't end up well. But hey, that's just me.

Cargo containers? I smell a trip to Skycraft!

Bluegrrl ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I can assemble shelves and furniture better than Ken can!

Also, what about large tupperware-type containers painted silver or black and modified a bit? Would that pass as cargo containers (and be great storage for other items and super light?)

Oh, and I really want to see that pilot-transport move! That would be so awesome!
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal.... Back in December per my converstaion with LFL we proposed to do this booth (set) Within the last week, the official proposal went out with the diagram above along with the floorplan, that Mark drew up. This was forwarded to LFL. They are very excited about this and it seems like a go, but I have not got the official confirmation yet. On March 13 at MegaCon, I will be talking to Sansweet more in person along with Ra Kura command staff.

Rachel & everyone: as far as the bins and such.. Mark & I have had extensive phone calls over the last 2 weeks with regards on the construction and components to be used for this booth/display. The actual totes are black & yellow and are at Lowes, They'll obiviously need to be painted silver.

Anyways..thats in brief what is going on now. We still need to figure out $$ contribution system (paypal) yet. We will post it as soon as we can.

Thank you all for stepping up on what we hope to be the best booth yet to be done by the Rebel Legion and which will make the RL truly shine at CV Cool

Elitediver ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance we are going to have our booth set up near the scale X-wing that is usually at the Celebration events? I think running the troop carrier between the booth and the X-Wing would be a really nice touch.

Rick
Warhawk 25
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone for your support- we'll certainly let eveyone know when/where the work will happen, etc.

Tony, Fabio, and Jeff: We would love to take avantage of your skills/access to equipment as we get farther along. We'll be in touch!

As far as borrowing props from Disney/SWW goes, they really don't have anything useful for what we want to do. Most of what they have is costumed characters and the Star Tours ride.

We are indeed hoping to incorporate LFL's big X-Wing since RL usually ends up doing the caretaking of it at the show anyway. We just need to get their approval/cooperation for this if they thing its a good idea; we don't want to step on any toes if they have other plans.

Right now the plan is not to have the pilot transport move; that would make the build a much larger project and then you have safety issues if we were to operate it in the convention hall. My plan is to construct it so that it could be motorized later for other events.

For the cargo pods, we need to stick with a particular style or two of storage tote to keep the look consistant. The vast majority of these kind of containers available today look very similar and scream 'rubbermaid container'. There are just a few types that are a bit more angular and could be made 'Star Wars-y'. I have picked out one particular type that Lori has mentioned; the idea would be for as many folks as possible buy as many of these as they can afford and then we'll come up with some guildlines for painting them. Everyone could paint theirs individually or we could do it on a build day. When the show's over, everyone who bought the containers could retain ownership of them for their own use.

There are some other types of containers that are useful- they are mostly military type boxes that are available at surplus stores and at the aforementioned 'Skycraft' store in Orlando. Again, we need to have some painting guidlines for these.

The shelving units are a similar story- there are a couple types that I have scouted out that I think can be made look more like 'Star Wars' and less like 'Garage'.

More to come...

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Celebration Anaheim (VII) -> Past Star Wars Celebrations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: