About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=78f8994c0e708661b16efc77c4844d8dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie build beginning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Bob. What is this business of blending hair on a board you mentioned? Could you elaborate?
WookieeGunner ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board is calle a hackle. Here is a video on making a lace wig that uses one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWs79J4pUY
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great video, and yeah... I couldnt remember the name of it at the time, but "Hackle" is the correct term... thanks WookieeGunner.

Bob
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow now that was neat. Cant believe I missed that episode Shocked Laughing If anything, that would make getting the tangles out easier. The thing he used to separate them was even neater. Will have to find one of them today. Very Happy
duck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, hackles are expensive and hard to locate. I just made mine (actually, I made 2). If you have access to a small drill press, just get a 10"x12" board of 1" thick pine board and draw a grid on it, with lines being about a quarter inch apart. Then drill holes at the intersections. I can't remember which size drill bit I used, but whatever the size was that was slightly narrower than the 2" nails I was using. Then I just tapped in nails (I maybe used 3 boxes of nails for 2 hackles that size). It was fun and only took about 45 minutes.
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, interesting.. I wonder if I could just draw the grid, and shoot them in with my air nailer... Hmmm. Wink Perhaps...
I wonder where or how to make the other thing that they used to hold the hair an pull some out of. The last part they used when they were pulling strands and not getting all tangled up... Rolling Eyes
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah haaaa, Hair drawing cards.
I just purchased a set from manedepot
These should help with that part.
Thanks for the info Very Happy
WookieeGunner ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 99% sure I used 1/8" bit on mine (I keep a supply of them for rivets and a supply of 1/16" for minis, I know it was one of my supplies and 1/16" feels too small). I did my squares at 1/2" so I'll be seeing this weekend if that is to large.

And by expensive he means between $65 and $75 before shipping for the hackle and around $40 before shipping for the hair drawing cards.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you all very fancy with your hackles!! Very Happy

Unfortunately I had to just mix mine by hand because I'm working out of an office and didn't have a workbench to secure the hackle to.
duck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tossed my hackle on the arm of the chair I was working in the living room or on my knee, didn't need to clamp it down. But I never really used the hackle to blend, per se, more to just sorta hold and spread the brown hair on one side and the gray/black on the other, then just grab a few strands here, a few there. I found it really only helpful to just keep the damn hair in place so it didn't just clump all up.
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small update.
One lower leg complete, and the other under way.
Toes will be here soon to finish that, and mask as well. Cool Foot assembly works great with the high density foam, and rubber bottoms, and already gave the foot a hair cut. well thinning cut, and a brush job.... LOL
J
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch that with sound, since I am at work. But visually speaking, that was very informative. It definitely gives me some ideas on how to pull off my mask making project!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: