Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c5bb86512abbd9f4af34d9c0fb689b2aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

my next costume...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully during the clone wars cartoon they will show more non clone human republic starfleet officers because those officers on the bridge next to tarkin, palpy and vader (at the end of ROTS) couldn't have been commissioned and trained in a couple days. Moreover, i hope they show tarkin in the cartoon for some continuity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all.

stopping by to see how this is coming!

there are very very few CW officers in the legion. there was 1 before me, and I've made three now for folks in my base, and working on a few more now that I have the pattern down easy.

I am definitely curious to see how someone elses turns out.

You can use the McCall's Civil War pattern view B (as noted on the Imperial Officers forums) its a perfect match, just have to do the applique on the front and or the black or dark grey piping, depending on which officer you are doing.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.imagedump.com/image.cgi?file=558057.jpg
http://www.imagedump.com/image.cgi?file=558058.jpg

this is just an update on where I am with this costume. I will probably be done with it in time to wear to C5. My main concern in this costume was to try to match it as closely as I can to the cartoon version of Admiral Yularen and I completely ignored any assumptions on how this uniform is related to or is a precursor to the Episode 3 Imperial officer uniform. Due to creative differences I have with the costuming standards with this uniform, I will not be submitting it for "approval" and will mostly use this for unofficial events and conventions. Yes I know the epaulets are not there yet, and the rank is crumby. This is just to show my local friends what I am up to, so if you have any criticism, please keep it to yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually this is very good.

the only things that you'd have to take care of to get it approved would be the collar and the pen pockets form the original trilogy uniform that I'm spying in there. they are not used or on the uniform at all.

you already mentioned the rank. its just a bit large, but its correct other than that.

other than the collar, and the large rank, you seem to be good to G.O.

how are your admirals boots coming?

how did you do the s-seam? I'm about to post up pics of my tutorial, but curious to how you did yours, as I'm sure Donna is as well.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no S-Seam on my costume, but to me it doesn't matter because the black lining stands out so much you can't tell in the first place. Like I said, I based my costume on Admiral Yularen as he appears in the cartoon not on the episode III version of the officer uniform everyone assumes this costume is based off. Can anyone honestly say they can see the S-seam behind the lining while watching the cartoon? I didn't see it when I watched it on the Lucasarts' digital projector 2 weeks ago. I dont plan on doing anything to the collar, i think my main problem is that my neck is too skinny and it makes it look weird but whatever.
I disagree with the costuming standards RL has for this costume. They overemphasize the S-Seam whilst making the black lining "optional"; while anyone watching the cartoon can clearly see the black lining stand out. We dont even know there is an S-seam on his uniform! has anyone seen it? no because IT DOESNT EXIST! and dont bring up the pictures of of the episode III officer uniform taken from the star wars in concert props because that would be making an assumption that the 2 uniforms are the same or one is based off the other. I think the RL costume standards of Wullf Yularen should be as he appears in the cartoon. I've disagreed with the costuming standards the minute they were first made. When the standards were first made, it was a requirement for the uniform to be gray... In a PM, I told aurabesh that it was infact OD green but he insisted that it was gray. Eventually the standards were changed to green, probably because more people like me chimed in. My bottom line is that I will not be submitting this costume for approval because I dont agree with the standards. I posted the updates in my bases forums to show my friends what I was up to, not to open my hard work to criticism. I know your motives are true of heart, but I know what I want to do with my costume.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I agree with most of your comments.

You DO have the S-seam. no arguments there.

the tunic is INDEED a green.

I think the words "S-Seam" should be changed, but I'm pretty sure everyone means the s- piping running along the sides and middle of the chest. However there HAS to be a seam in there somewhere to hold this piece on, weather its appliqued like mine, sewn INTO the bib, like the Yularin I made recently for Andy.

I've personally NEVER agreed with the ROTS uniform being used as a reference, as its completely wrong.

I like the fabric choice, but not the color.

The collar should be mandarin however (closes on the side). Its seen in the cartoon this way as well as the figure.

To me it looks like your tunic is grey, not green. but than again, the flash plays funny tricks. the best way to tell, and best way to take pics is outside around noon. best lighting, and never get flash/camera issues. I've done stuff inside and thought it looked awesome till i got outside and the color was all wrong.

I'm not telling you how to do your costume, Just saying you're very close with what you have.

Did you get the tunic, rank and belt from Costume Base? It looks like an imperial tunic of theirs.

just curious.

That all said, you're doing an excellent job, keep it up.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a Costume Base tunic. I got it from a company in Hong Kong called "cossplayying", but I've heavily modified it with the cuff rings, the black lining and also the split skirt in the back, and the soon to be epaulets. I'll admit that the color looks wrong because the picture was taken in my kitchen which has flourescent lighting and I also used a flash. In reality the color is a light OD green. For the boots, I'm attaching black pleather to some black boots to make them the kind that Yularen wears. I guess i could just sew on a strand of OD green fabric attached to some velcro for the collar...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool.

either way its def. an imperial pattern.

the color idea sounds good, but you'd have to take off that collar and attach a longer new collar. pretty easy to sew in. if you don't have a machine you can do it by hand as well. My officer is 90% sewn by hand. Took forever. the admiral i just did took a few hours for the major parts, and about 3 more hours for the proper fitting of all the snaps and etc.

You have black lining? thats pretty cool. mine has gold and the admirals has white. took a page from capt. kirk.

When you take the tunic in to match up the fabric, it will be tough to get a fabric match. look for gabardine, unless that tunic is just 100% cotton. the ladies in most fabric places are pretty helpful finding a match. don't settle for something, make sure you get the right color and type or fabric. It will look better in the long run and you will not have to take it off to upgrade later.

Your stripes are black? I have black on one tunic and a dark brown on the other. they both look great. cant decide which is better.
SpaceWolf (Jay Zarecki)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did check out that eBay store. it notes "screen accurate"

take a look at the back of the tunic. the seams are very NOT screen accurate. they do however look just like the star trek patterns they use.

Personally i would stay away from these types of stores in the future. nothing they have is even close to being approve-able with out severe mods, like you suggested.

the belt looks the same as costume base. way too rounded at the corners.

If there is a Tandy leatehr store in your area, for about 2 dollars you can get a proper 2" or 1.5" rectangular buckle, and swap it out and it will look much better.

I look forward to your progress.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they require lots of modifying, it gives me something to do while watching TV. Also, I wont need to buy more fabric for the collar and epaulet because I have alot of excess I had to cut off the bottom of the pants, because the ones they gave me were wayyyy to big and long for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCORE!!!!!

dont forget the collar is double sided, not one piece of fabric. take the old one off, putt it apart at the bottom and trace it onto the pants excess. and add enough to go to the right side of your neck.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is your costume now finished Tom? I saw photos with your piping above. You should submit it!

nebelwerfer wrote:

I disagree with the costuming standards RL has for this costume. They overemphasize the S-Seam whilst making the black lining "optional"; while anyone watching the cartoon can clearly see the black lining stand out.

Eh, I'm glad the black piping is optional. I've been studying some photos from the show since I have been updating the standards binder. In my opinion, some of the 'black' we see is a shadow effect to give the uniform a more 3-d look. On the gray clone uniform, at best it looks like a slightly darker charcoal gray piping.

See this image of a gray clone uniform to see what I mean.

However, if you are going to be Wullf, it appears he has thin black-ish piping. It looks thinner to me than the stripes on his cuffs for sure. (So it looks like you got the scale of it right Tom!) I don't think it should be over emphasized, as some of the thickness you see in the show is also the shadow effect you see on his shoulders and other layers of the costume. I'd have to watch the show again to see if other 'OD green' officers have the black piping, or if it unique to Wullf.

The Wullf action figure shows a thin black piping too.

http://www.clonewarsactionfigures.com/figureDetails.aspx?Figure-Name=Wullf%20Yularen&id=198

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpaceWolf (Jay Zarecki)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently i haven't seen any other green officers.

my piping is approx. 1/8" thick.

my sleeve stripes are just about an inch with about an inch or less between them.

and yes the clone officers (all of which for some reason are ALL Lt. Comm) would have a darker grey piping. this will be my next project if i can get the right material.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my costume wont be ready for at least a month, so i wont be submitting any time soon. also, I think the reason the rank looks so big on me is because of my small stature,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big are your rank color boxes each?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: