Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=34580a8ecc3e74ccf556a01d4bb31361Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Nar Shaddaa Website and Forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Nar Shaddaa Website and Forum? Reply with quote

Attention all Nar Shaddaa Members:

We are working on building a website for the base. It's still in the planning stages right now.

One of the issues that was brought up was if we wanted to have our own off site forums or to continue to use the ones here on rl.com.

I would like the input of all base members on what you would like to do. If needed, we can have a base wide vote on the issue.

Thanks
Beth
JediRacer8 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see us have our own forums away from these main RL.com forums.
Crix (Thomas Turner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be cool to have our own...but I am ok either way.

CO: OUTLAW SQUADRON - OUTLAW 13
CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can go either way...

I think it is important to keep a presence here...so that anyone in the area checking us out knows we are active..
I know when we had the Midwest Base boards...I often forgot to post things here at the RL...
and sometimes our forums here at the RL looked like we evacuated...
lol..

many people "just looking" would probably come here to the RL to see what WI and IL are up to..

so if we have another forum..

I know that these forums will be fairly abandoned...

and...
of course...
having our own would be very cool too because we could do whatever we want..

so..
as usual...
I am wishy washy and am good with what the majority wants..

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Phyllis pretty much summed up my opinion. I think if we're going to use it, I think we should have our own forums, but I'm cautious that work isn't worth it because it feels like we've only got a handful of people active here would that change if we had private forums?
Princess Dee ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Phyllis, I see pros and cons with another board.

I think if everyone understands that we will always have to come here for Legion business (Detachments, voting, merchandise, Legion issues), and that having our own site is for us to discuss and promote locally (group projects, workshops, presentation, ect.) And maybe we decide to keep the event planning to one board and not… like four. I think it could be a nice little ‘home’ for us.

I know that Beth wants it, and it would be good to have locally, but I really worry that we’re going to over complicate things, again.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what the best plan is at the moment.

I've talked with various base members and the general conclusion is that people do not have time to check more than one board per day. Our current membership is pretty evenly split with members who are also 501st members. Many of the members I spoke with tend to check the MWG board every day as that is where the majority of events are updated and here once or a week, if at all. The active members here are only a handful of individuals. I would estimate that about 1/4 of the active trooping members of the base even check in here the rest find information on the garrison board.

Ideally, when we first split the base, I was a in favor of taking the same approach that was taken in Alabama and Indiana, and share a board with the garrison, which would have solved the issue of needed to keep up with all the changes in events and update (copy/paste) the new information to the board here. Augie and I had spoken with the command staff of MWG and we thought that a mutual agreement could have been reached to share the MWG board.

Unfortunately, things were set in motion before we became a base in October to create a new garrison for the members in Wisconsin, thus, our idea of sharing a board would not really work as planned. At the time, I didn't see the point in starting to share a board with the garrison, only to have to re-think the issue again once WI broke off and we no longer were in the same area. If all goes as planned, WI will have it's own garrison by April if not sooner.

We had decided to use the boards here and see how it worked out. So far I have not seen a vast difference between these boards and when we had our own boards with MWB. The same members are actively posting here as were posting on the MWB boards.

The big difference that I see is that there has been more activity from Nar Shaddaa base members in other areas of this board which was not occurring when we had our own off site board.

A few have suggested to do all the event planning on the garrison board and leave the general chat here. I feel that it is not fair to expect members to check in here for general info/chat and have to go to a different board for event information. Half of the base members are not 501st members, and I feel that it is a disservice to them to require that they join a board for a group that they are not a part of just to find the event information or register for an event.

This is not a decision that I feel I can or should be making on my own. It is a decision that will affect all 43 members of the base. I see advantages and disadvantages to both leaving our boards here or creating our own. My goal in this discussion is to find the best solution that will be the least complicated for everyone involved.
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at least for the time being its best to just stake out our space here, this way it may help us to be more active within the RL as a whole. I think its probably for the best since we're not a huge base or super-duper active, at least on the IL side from what I've seen at least.

The main problem we need to figure out is passing down event announcements, especially because we are paired with one of the most active 501st garrisons in the world. I think this is our biggest problem and there's really only two feasible solutions, use the MWG boards (and IL & WI boards in a few months) for your area's events or replicate the events here.

Either is going to be a huge pain, but its a huge logistical problem with no easy solution. And that is going to be a problem regardless of what we choose to do about our forums.

Actually, I have an idea...

What about having an event rep or 501st liaison or something for each state whose job it is to pass along event info with their respective state and soon to be garrison. I think having it split by state lines would help keep the work from being too much as well as obviously being in place once the MWG splits. I think if it can be kept on top of, it shouldn't be too much work.

Whutchathink?
Princess Dee ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:

What about having an event rep or 501st liaison or something for each state whose job it is to pass along event info with their respective state and soon to be garrison. I think having it split by state lines would help keep the work from being too much as well as obviously being in place once the MWG splits. I think if it can be kept on top of, it shouldn't be too much work.

We have that, they're called Regional Captains, and last I knew we had one for both WI and IL.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Dee wrote:
iam8114 wrote:

We have that, they're called Regional Captains, and last I knew we had one for both WI and IL.

Well what exactly is their job description then? Because what I was proposing would be in addition to that position, but I guess if that falls under their direct responsibilities then that needs to be addressed because there's a lot of events not getting passed down through the food chain efficiently.
Jack Killian (Andrew Marsh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't really in the description but I believe both bob and myself can do that since we are both 501st members. It is a good idea but I have to admit it I do fall under the one forum a day one a week type person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After we get this all sorted out, my next task is going to be to create detailed job descriptions for all the base positions. Part of the big problem around here is no one really knows what their job entails, I'd like to make that a little easier.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
After we get this all sorted out, my next task is going to be to create detailed job descriptions for all the base positions. Part of the big problem around here is no one really knows what their job entails, I'd like to make that a little easier.

I am in charge of the latrine...and don't any of you get any ideas about taking my position..

Razz

But seriously...
we are soooooooooooooooooooo tiny that I hope we would all keep each other up to speed.

And...
I guess we really can't do much more than we already are...

we post events...
we get out to events so people know that we exist..
I know we offer as much help as humanly possible for anyone interested in making a costume too....I have offered to sew parts of RFT and ERS costumes for anyone seeking help...
and many of us offer insight and resources to anyone that asks..

but past that...we just can't force people to come here or to any website if they just don't want to....

In a way...even with 5 states...the forums at the old Midwest Base were rather sleepy too...
there wasn't a heck of a lot going on there either...

Actually....truth be told...early this week I sent an e-mail to all members of Renegade Squad to let them know that RAID T-shirts were available for a limited time...I asked that they all post in the Renegade forum even if they were not going to buy a shirt
..and...the only one I got a response from was Marlyn.
So even being prodded by an e-mail....I really didn't get any response...

And it is not just us....lol...I posted a request for RAID Squad Leaders to post their rosters....and only one Squad did it...I got no response from the others...

Quite honestly, there is no easy answer to the problem....
and it can be quite a juggling act to keep up with the forums....

I know I feel terribly guilty that I have not been putting much time in at The Jedi Assembly forums...and I am one of the 9 Council members...that is bad....
I have been trying to get there more often...but TJA too is small...and REALLY spread out...the Midwest Order covers a HUGE territory.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Cleopatramwi (Dana)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of keeping our forums here, it forces me to check the main RL forums, which is something I never, ever did when MWB had it's own forums. I am fine with whatever is decided however and will try to check in wherever the forums end up being located.

www.cleopatramwi.com
www.livejournal.com/users/cleopatramwi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: