About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cadc3ce0a5f7520b52edb251b87c6f4fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Egg size for Amidala throne room gown?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpe mindiem ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Egg size for Amidala throne room gown? Reply with quote

I'm looking for specs on the size of the eggs that line the bottom of the throne room gown. That mine are too small was one of the reasons for the denial of my costume the first time I tried, and I've fixed the other issues I had. The Standards don't define the egg size. I tried searching these forums and didn't find any results that helped. Can anyone help so I can get my costume approved?

Amadalia
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The egg size is about the length of your hand. You can see some pics here of the size: http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/redinvasion/bts2.jpg
http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/redinvasion/red_invasion1.jpg

It is not specified anywhere but if you look at the pics, you can see that the egg shapes are quite large. I was only able to find ones bigger enough around Easter last year. I found these eggs with clear tops and solid color bottoms that were the right size at the dollar store. The first ones I made were not large enough but were the only ones I could find not during Easter holiday season. Read the denial e-mail carefully as there are always reasons provided for the denial and it is usually more than one.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eggs are the same size as my hands, so that doesn't help me. And I read the rejection e-mail, but all it says is that they're too small without giving any indication of the exact size measurement. It's frustrating when the size isn't documented anywhere but we're expected to conform to it. Can you tell me how many inches tall/wide they need to be to get accepted? Just looking at pictures is a little too subjective for me, I guess.
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they look like they are maybe 7-9" tall by 5-7" wide. Try making a template from cardboard first and tack them to the dress to see if they look 'right'. I'm basing this on the measurement of my hand vs the ration of her hand to the eggs. I have big paws, so I lean more to the larger size when measuring.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benae brings up a good point. We can't just say "The eggs need to be X inches high by X inches wide" because it needs to be proportional to the wearer. I know I've had to scale things up a bit to look "right" on my frame when making Padme and Leia things because I'm bigger than Nat and Carrie (at least, at the time of filming).

Part of the reason the forums are here is so you can get help before you submit your costume. I suggest doing something similar to what Benae mentioned: Make a template, place it on your gown, take some pictures, and post them here to get feedback. If everyone thinks the egg template looks too small, you can try making a larger template before going to the effort and cost of making another set of eggs. That's what we're here for, to help each other out! Wink

Amadalia

carpe mindiem ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll figure something out. I assumed when I bought this costume from a 501st member that it was approvable, but that was my mistake. (You know what they say about making assumptions!)

My more exact, procedural nature gets the best of me sometimes, and based on experiences with 501st costumes, I expected denials to include more specific information about exactly what to fix if anything fell short. Now my expectations are reset. Smile I completely understand and respect the need for costumes to be accurate. I just need to tap into some creativity to interpret comments like "such-and-such is too small" and "the shape of the thingamajig is off" and turn them into actions I can take to make my costume even better.

Cheers!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we could help. That's what we're here for. Smile Remember, if you have any questions, ask! And good luck. Amadalia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: