About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fe7b070f171d4d4619cc18c365d073fcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Soft costume workshop with 501st Saturday 01-16-10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (2)

(0)

(1)

User Registered Confirmed
KitfoxThu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 pm
nebelwerferFri Jan 15, 2010 3:43 am
TaerielFri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 am
Kitfox (Karen Katich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Soft costume workshop with 501st Saturday 01-16-10 Reply with quote

Greetings, Just wanted to pass on to our group here that I was having a soft costume workshop this Saturday Jan 16th. I had it posted to the 501st GGG, but so far only three people have sign up that say they are coming. I would like to open it up to our Rebel Legion here as well if anyone is interested in coming to work on projects. I know it is a little short notice, and sorry I didn't think to address our group before! It is in a club house and there will be several tables and electrical outlets available. Anyone is welcome to come and work on any projects they have.

Thanks!

Karen Katich

Here is the info from the GGG boards:

Event Name: Soft Costume Workshop
Venue: Clubhouse
Venue Address: 2822 Parkway Drive, Martinez, CA
Event Date: Saturday, January 16th, 2010
Event Time: 11:00am to 4:00pm
Comments:
"I will be hosting a soft costume workshop. There will be tables & electrical outlets available for those who wish to bring their own sewing machine and/or projects to work on. I will have two of my own sewing machines there for use as well as a couple dress forms. My friend Liz & I will be going over utilization of patterns and being able to mix and match them, some sewing problems generally encountered, and other tips for getting your sewing project off the design board and onto your body! I will be going over the Imperial Officer costume and how I utilize and modify certain patterns for that. We will try to answer any questions you have and will be available to assist you if you wish to work on your own projects while there. There are electrical outlets available outside as well and we can set up some tables out there if anyone has any minor armor projects they want to work on (weather allowing!). We are required to clean up any mess made (both inside and out) since we will be using a public housing club house. I would appreciate your understanding in this as any type of painting on a project may not be possible in that area. I will have a couple of ice chests and some drinks will be provided. And some Pizza can be ordered if anyone wants to help chip in for lunch! There are rest rooms on site as well as a microwave, small refridge, and sink.

Directions:
Hwy 680 North or South to Hwy 4 West
Take Pine Street/Center Avenue exit
Turn slight right from exit toward Pine Street.
Turn right (by gas station)at light onto Howe Rd.
Go straight past one light down the hill to stop sign.
Turn left at stop sign onto Parkway Drive.
Turn right at Bayshore Street.
Turn right at Parkway Drive.
2822 Parkway Drive will be a short distance on the right side next to the pool.

Take Hwy 80 North or South to Hwy 4 East.
Take Pine Street/Center Avenue exit.
Turn left from exit toward Pine Street.
Turn right at Howe Road.
Turn left at Parkway Drive.
Turn right at Bayshore Street.
Turn right at Parkway Drive.
2822 Parkway Drive will be a short distance on the right side next to the pool.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!" Cell Phone: 925-265-3046
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be driving through that neck of the woods, i'll stop by for an hour or two to network and socialize.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love costume workshops! It's always wonderful to work on projects around other people doing the same, and it's great to learn new things. I'd like to come, but I'll have to see if it could work schedule-wise with the other stuff I have planned for the weekend.

For now I'll put myself down as "interested in one later", and switch over to confirmed if it turns out I can make it this time.

Thanks for extending the invitation! Smile
Taeriel's costume page
Kitfox (Karen Katich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great for anyone that just wants to stop by and check it out or to ask a few questions. We will be there until about 4pm or 4:30pm. If anyone is interested in doing this another time just post your interest and we can try to set one up later on perhaps in May or early June before all the major conventions kick in!

Karen Katich
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to the costume workshop today. I think it's a fabulous idea, though, and really look forward to attending next time!
Taeriel's costume page
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the workshop went well - thanks for opening this to the Rebel Legion Karen. Sorry I could not attend or offer help, I just got back from a week long vacation and have not even unpacked or gotten my land legs back Razz

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Kitfox (Karen Katich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the workshop went really well! Weather was nice enough to hold out on the downpour so travel to the workshop wouldn't be a problem. We set up the club house with six tables for people to use. I brought two of my sewing machines in case anyone wanted to use one of them. My friend Liz Phelan was nice enough to acquire the clubhouse for me to use and hung around to help with questions as well.

While I did a run to the store for some ice & drinks, Liz manned the clubhouse waiting for members to arrive. Chris Richards & Michelle Bassig arrived. While I brought in the chips, ice, & drinks they brought me up to date on what they brought to work on. Chris brought his notebook full of patches and tried to decide which of the multiple ones he wanted to sew onto his flight jacket. Michelle had a pair of riding style britches that she was planning to use for Imperial Officer pants and needed help with the "puff" parts. Trying to get them to stay in shape with use of some boning down the seam. Anthony Tse arrived with a huge tub and we all wondered what costume he brought! No costume! That was his sewing tub! He brought his sewing machine which he dug out of the black hole in order to figure out how to work it! Tami Ashford dropped by for a brief time to check out the workshop. She didn't have anything to work on, but wanted to see some of the points on sewing.

I went over some basic points on the sewing machine like:
threading the machine
loading a bobbin and threading that into the machine
tension settings and the difference in the stitches when tension is off
types of sewing needles for different material
machine settings for stitch length & width
how to stitch patches on using a machine and stitching by hand
how to look at patterns for individual parts that match your design
how to draw or cut out a pattern off a costume part
Pattern used and modification of for the Imperial Officer.
The bikerscout cumber bun and vest and making a pattern off the actual costume.

Tom Ray arrived with his girlfriend (and please forgive me if I get this wrong - I am so bad with names!!!) I believe her name is Betty? Tom was working on a helmet for one of his costume projects and was able to hang out for a short while. Thanks so much for dropping by!

But they were not able to stay long enough to enjoy the pizza that arrived shortly after that! Domino's special pricing for football playoff weekend!! Oh yeah! Good pizza, good friends, great stories on costumes and conventions! And I actually got the zipper installed on my sweatshirt! Anthony got all the different sewing machine foot attachments in order, if not actually figured out! Michelle got her pants problem taken care of, Chris got one of his patches on, but at least knows how to put the rest of them on! And from what I could see of Tom's project, he got his helmet taped. And I am sorry to say that I didn't really get the chance to ask him what exactly he was doing with it! And I wish I could have gotten the photo of him wearing it! But it is hard to be photographer along with everything else! Hopefully Tami got some questions answered, but she shows up on my doorstep more often to sew and private questioning ensues then! I did manage to take a couple of photos though! They can be viewed here:

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/KittFox_1126/costume%20workshop/

Thanks again to those that were able to make it:

Liz Phelan - host/clubhouse procurement
Karen Katich - host RL/501st
Thomas Ray - RL
Betty (friend of Thomas)
Anthony Tse - 501st
Chris Richards - 501st
Michelle Bassig - 501st
Tami Ashford - 501st

I hope Liz & I were able to help out and answer all the questions. And I hope I can get another workshop set up for those that are interested in attending one, but were not able to make this one. I will be posting an interest thread for one perhaps in May before all the Conventions start up.

Again, thanks to all those who were able to attend and also to my friend Liz who was able to get the clubhouse for us to use and her help in answering questions as well.

Karen Katich
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thankful you invited RL, and will continue to attend more of these if they are planned Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: