Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4e07ed4d141cf5ca1af3f27f999104fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's Shadows of the Empire garb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Gecko ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Leia's Shadows of the Empire garb? Reply with quote

Has anyone done a costume of Leia's dress from Shadows of the Empire? I'm thinking about going for the one that she wears while Xizor is trying to "woo" her (for lack of a more appropriate word!)
All that the novel says about it is that she wears a green transparent dress over a dark bodysuit. It mentions a strap falling down her shoulder, and that she removes her slippers, but that's about it! If I remember correctly, the action figure that comes with Xizor and a comic is just wearing the bodysuit, and it's a blue-ish color. I don't have any of the comics, do they show this outfit in more detail?
If anyone has any reference materials, that would be great! Not necessarily trying to get this one approved, just thinking about doing a Shadows group theme with my husband as Dash Rendar and my brother as Luke.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find many images on Google but the blue body suit.

I think this is my favorite image:
Razz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I saw that one too! definitely shows her feisty personality Smile
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall if I've ever seen photos/artwork of her Seduction dress. I've seen like one person do her cover-art outfit, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the same dress.

"I dislike smiling. It contorts the face."
Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pile of fabric that you can see around her feet is the transparent dress. I have a picture showing her wearing it over the bodysuit, and I can scan it for you if you'd like... but honestly the image really doesn't show very much. It is clearly based on Leia's Bespin outfit, though, if that helps. The transparent "dress" is open in the front, and has the same quilted lines on the shoulders and the high collar in back. It looks white with a green tint, and doesn't show any embroidery in the area that is visible.

Pam :-)
Darth Gecko ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The picture isn't showing up for me, but I can get a pretty good idea from the description.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Padawan's Guide doesn't allow hotlinking of photos.

It's just the Bespin Leia outfit.

Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just" the Bestpin Leia outfit... yes, just. It was the best example of the dress that I knew of offhand without searching the internet. Sorry, I wasn't aware that they block links on that site.

Lori, I hope we can have a chance to meet in person someday, perhaps at Celebration? Your posts on the forum are very often hurtfully brusque, and I'd like to get to know you in person so that I can better understand your writing style and be able to interpret your posts better.

My new scanner isn't up and running yet, so I took a picture of the painting with my camera. Not the same quality, but you can see the picture, at least.

Daritha (Christian)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're very good with the reference to her Bespin clothes Pam.

I scanned two panels from the German SotE comic. They differ a lot from the Hildebrandt pictures but I can assure that they depict the same situation, ending with Leia kicking Xizor in the crouch (ouch!).

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above one looks very much like the action figure that is available with the comic that I have seen at Target. Amadalia
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the action figure most closely resembles the comic version, which is a lighter blue all around, including the Bespin-like cloak, but it is not a full coverage jumpsuit as the Hildebrandts depicted it. The comic version sports a sleeveless jumpsuit with opera-length gauntlets and flat matching slippers.

The Hildebrandts version is not only a full-coverage jumpsuit but is of a deeper, darker color - not quite black but either a very dark blue or even a very dark inky purple, with a transparent bluish-greenish Bespin-like cloak. As for the shoes, artistically they are non-existent but I would expect a flat matching shoe would be just as good so you don't feel like you're running around in your socks.

There's also a distinct difference in hairstyle between the comic and the Hildebrandts version. The comic sweeps her hair almost completely to the left side in a rather awful 80's style (which is the problem with comic artists - they don't always make the best choices when it comes to fashion Razz ) held to the side by a gold curved pin and the thin decorative blue headband.

The Hildebrandts also used the blue headband (though it seems from the cover of SOTE that it's darker like their version of the jumpsuit) but kept her hair in a simple basic braid down the back.

I guess it depends on which depiction you like best - the Hildebrandts version, which seems to echo the novel's description a bit more closely or the comic version, which is more stylized.

Either way, there is enough visual depiction to do either version rather completely - I would not combine elements from either version, as each one is rather distinct from the other on many points. Though, of the two versions, the comic version probably has the 3 resources to qualify for Formal - the comic itself, the action figure, and I would bet it's been depicted in a couple other resources as well, such as the Encyclopedia.

Costume Portfolio
Daritha (Christian)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically spoken, we have two versions (like Visas Marr). A comic/action figure version and a novel/Hildebrandt version, if you will.

And I think that 80's hair style looks neat on Leia. Cool

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
JediMom3 (Andrea Samulewicz)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a gal from Brazil who has done this costume. I have talked to her many years ago via email.
I know her through Thomas Spanos because of his Xisor Costume and my Guri costume. Here is a pic of her.

I would love someone to do this costume for CV!!!!!

Darth Gecko ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much you guys!!! I am really getting excited about this one now!

Pam, Daritha - the pictures are great. The dress really is just like the Bespin outfit!
Jedimom - Aweseome! Thanks for posting that, her costume is superb!

Now I just have to decide which version I want to do! Time to hit the sketch pad Smile
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twi'lek Pam wrote:
"Just" the Bestpin Leia outfit... yes, just. It was the best example of the dress that I knew of offhand without searching the internet. Sorry, I wasn't aware that they block links on that site.

Lori, I hope we can have a chance to meet in person someday, perhaps at Celebration? Your posts on the forum are very often hurtfully brusque, and I'd like to get to know you in person so that I can better understand your writing style and be able to interpret your posts better.

When I said "It's just Leia's Bespin outfit", I meant that that's what the photo you tried to post, that didn't show up, was showing.

"Brusque", huh? I imagine that there's another "b" word that some people would use. Yes, I'm blunt, maybe too much so, at times. I think I get tired of being forced to be all nicey-nice on some of the message boards I post on and I over-react. I'm basically a nice person.

I'd like to meet you too, some day. I won't be going to C5, though. And I didn't really know who you were, back during C4.

I used to live in Modesto, but moved back to Anaheim before I discovered the Rebel Legion. If I'd stayed up there, I would have been trooping with you.
Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: