Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=722f27825b0b6447600a5d7060d5f78bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mace Windu FX repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allycat (Ally Bock)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Mace Windu FX repair Reply with quote

I just bought a lightsaber from someone off ebay, and I was wondering if it would be possible to fix a part of the blade where the lights flicker? From what I can tell, it seems like the led bulbs are just loose. If it's possible, does anyone know how I would be able to fix it? If anyone has any information I'd appreciate it.
Sidd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want I can take a look at it after the new year.

if its just a loose LED that should be a pretty simple fix.

Also if you take the time to polish up the hilt it will look really nice.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well technically.........

Light Emitting Diodes aren't bulbs, per se.

And they don't "get loose", the solder connections break when people try to duel with them.

But you probably don't care if you can get someone to fix it for you.

At least this saber is easier to remove the blade from than some of the other FX-sabers that have to be completely disassembled in order to do so.

Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, Lori beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing, if you do it yourself you just need to remove the blade and resolder the bad connections. Pretty sure you can find Youtube walk-through's on how to disassemble it, but if you're looking for someone else to do it, the logistics don't matter to you Wink
allycat (Ally Bock)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that much this kind of thing, or I probably wouldn't have gotten it...It just said that it could be fixed by pulling out the led strip and pushing the "led bulbs" back in...hopefully it isn't as hard as it sounds. Thanks for the info.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller lied to you then, or more likely, he doesn't really even know how the blades are actually made.

There are no "sockets" that the LEDs seat in, they aren't like incandescent bulbs. The solder joints are probably broken, which means re-soldering them is the only way to fix them.

Hopefully, the narrow circuit board strips that they are soldered onto aren't broken.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I talked to the seller and he agreed to give me a refund. (Phew). So I'm back on the hunt for a purple lightsaber lol (just have to remember not to make that mistake again Smile )
Sidd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My offer still stands to build one for you.

or

I have the plastic toy hasbro saber lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: