About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=036634f61478eb2166025895bcb9570aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Han ESB Blaster Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: My Han ESB Blaster Project Reply with quote

So, I've been slowly gathering pieces and ideas of how to go about making this.
The last bit I was stuck on was the flash hider, I tried looking around for some sources without having to drop major credits and did find out from a local prop builder that you can make a good looking one using a cake decorating funnel, a battery post cleaner from Walmart and a washer to close up the end.
And then just when I started looking for a good cake decorating store to get said funnel, I ran across a local person that was trying to off load his machined aluminum flash hider for $20.
So I picked up an Airsoft Mauser all metal one for about $25. And then they've just been sitting because I came down with a cold and have been just trying to get over that. As such I haven't felt like doing much, but I am feeling better, so in hopes to inspire myself to do something with it this weekend, I decided to start a thread and figured I'd just document my build.
If you didn't know, for the scope I'm going to use the build tutorial I posted a link for in the stickied post about blasters. Or at least, I'll start with that one.
My goal is to make a nice looking blaster for a reasonable price. Currently all you get are my intentions and thoughts though Laughing
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are feeling better.

Looking forward to seeing the blaster develop. I will sticky this thread for you.

Phoenix 17
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!
So, I dug up the link to the tutorial I'm going to use for my scope: http://www.tk560.com/jegner/M19-scope-tutorial.pdf

Here is what I currently have gathered:

And then individual pics of each item starting with the airsoft mauser:

The Flash Hider made out of aluminum:

for some reason these guys didn't want to photo well, but they're the Revel V8 engine parts, the actual plastic parts and not a resin copy:

so now it's deciding what the next step will be. Since the tip of the gun is painted orange up to where I'd have to sand off anyway, I'm thinking of just throwing it in a vice and taking a hacksaw to just cut the nose of the gun off. When I held the flash hider next to the gun, I think it looks better with at least that much taken off. But, I have to hem and haw about it since sawing a piece off is permanent, I don't want to do it and then realize later I didn't want to do that at all.
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea about the sawing. Flash hinder looks good. The tutorial should help you. Please post your progress here as I am sure we would all very much like to see how the progress is coming along.

Phoenix 17
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to use the same Airsoft Mauser for my ROTJ "Bunker" Version blaster but that dang Selector drove me too crazy!!!
Are you going to try and grind it down? I decided I am going to go with a replica Mauser. Outside of the scope, I have the rest of the parts for it (Pistons, scope mount, flash hider).

Keep us posted on the progress. Also Lori has a great tutoroial on how to add a light to the airsoft.

"Never tell me the odds."
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selector switch, the thing right next to the trigger, on the actual mauser I would assume this changes it from Full auto to single shot. Is that the switch you're talking about?
I have yet to look through reference photos to try and determine what to do about the actual gun. I have decided to use a hacksaw to take off the nose that's colored in orange. I will possibly do that next week, depends on whether or not I can get access to a vise like I think I'll be able to.
Most likely though I will do nothing about the selector switch (if it's the item I think you're talking about) as it's part of the mold of the gun and not something removable. I suppose I could open it up and see if it's solid, if the metal is flush under it, it might be something those that want super accuracy could grind off. But my personal feelings right now is that no one will notice or care if it's there and when I hold it, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Last night I went to get started on the scope and it turns out that some of the items I purchased were not correct, oops. One of the items I was able to fix with a lot of sand paper last night, but I need to go looking for a new funnel. But I had a feeling that was going to be the case, so when I had purchased it I made sure to buy one I would use anyway in case it was in fact wrong. So addition for the kitchen rather than a prop, lol.
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I bought two of these same Mausers. One to rip apart and get my measurements, and one to use for the build-up. The selector you referred to is the same. It is not located on any of the Mauser bases for the Solo blasters. I did some research through all the known channels and talked to quite a few people on the RPF. Got to look at some decent ref. pics. But this was also for an ROTJ blaster, where parts are not as available.
For the most part you can see most of the pics you will need for an ESB Han blaster through the PartsofSW and Google images. Plus there are a few producers of parts (Scope mounts and scope) like blast tech.
After I took apart the first blaster (remove the barrel first!!! it slides off with a little effort). I could see that the selector could be ground off it you felt so inclined.
Keep me posted on your progress. Also I think Jedi Mickey has an air soft blaster kit he is selling over in the pilot section and maybe in the for sale thread. Really cheap too!
Good luck and keep us posted!

Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, a machined flash hider for $20? That's a steal, since they go for around $75, normally.

You're going to have to make your own scope mount, obviously.

You're going to find that you'll need to saw off more than just the orange barrel tip for the flash hider to seat solidly, since the barrel is kind of tapered.

I ended up having to cut mine twice, because I was afraid to take off too much, at first. Some how I was able to use a tubing cutter, which shouldn't really work on a tapered tube, but it did, and twice. Razz

My post about my DL-44 isn't really a tutorial on how to put an LED in it, more like just showing what I did. Wink

Since I wasn't doing the Solo blaster, the rate of fire selector doesn't bother me on mine. I didn't feel like trying to cut it off and fill it in.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I couldn't believe it! Well, he did tell me he was selling it because it wouldn't fit on his Denix. He said it would just need to be bored out a bit then it would work. So...it may be $20 but it might also require a lot of elbow grease Laughing
Either way, I'm going for a nice looking blaster without spending a ton for it!

I did see Loreen's show off thread about the LED addition and I do love the idea, but I really don't think I want to do that to this blaster. I might possibly do that with my plastic blaster that I have left to modify.

Also I checked over the pics for the ESB blaster and yeah, although there's a panel over the switch area of the blaster I'm just going to leave it the way it is. I'm sure on the real gun they just removed the switch and then put on the greeblie that's there. But since this switch isn't real and is just a part of the mold, I'm just going to leave it be.

For mounting the plastic scope, I'm thinking I'll just pick up a sheet of plastic somewhere/somehow and cut out a mouting bracket. My other thought is wood, since I do not have the tools to work with metal to make a bracket and it won't be that heavy so metal would be overkill anyway.

I also I noticed a couple pieces of the gun I hadn't seen before, they kinda looked like, clock hands or something...not clock hands. I'm sure I've seen them somewhere before and in my mind they're red. Here's a pic from Bob's archive he put together:

It's the piece in the middle of the gun, to the right of the two V8 pieces and just above the trigger. Any thoughts?
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about adding those parts to mine, it wouldn't be that hard for me to make a couple rounded tear drop shapes from a scrap of sheet styrene and screw them on and paint them, but I decided not to bother. But it's not something I can't still add, if I change my mind.

I wouldn't recommend sheet plastic for your scope mount, it could snap at the bend, whether it's bent or glued there. You wouldn't the hard work on your scope to get damaged if that happened.

If I were doing it, I'd use some aluminum angle and cut it to shape with a Dremel, since that's the tool I have at my disposal.

I'd get something like this:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1023&step=4&showunits=inches&id=63&top_cat=0

Also, if you're going to use proper size bolt to attach your scope to your mount, I'd recommend 3/8" bar, instead of the 1/4" in the tutorial. That's the width on mine, which is molded off the real tank scope. My resin copy has threaded inserts molded into it. I'd thread the square bar and the PVC coupler is probably thick enough to hold a couple of threads.

But I realize I'm more of a prop builder than a lot of people in this costuming forum.
Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info!

Oh, I just thought about what I think might work for those pieces, window screen holders. I'm not sure what the actual name is for the item, but it's just a little piece of plastic that has a screw or nail in the center so you can secure a screen onto a window.
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:

Also I checked over the pics for the ESB blaster and yeah, although there's a panel over the switch area of the blaster I'm just going to leave it the way it is. I'm sure on the real gun they just removed the switch and then put on the greeblie that's there. But since this switch isn't real and is just a part of the mold, I'm just going to leave it be.

Actually it was different model Mauser. The C-96 (1896 design) did not have a selector switch. Later models (after widespread military use) did however have a selector and these airsoft guns are modeled after those later versions. But if it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother me!

Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerftheherder wrote:
The C-96 (1896 design) did not have a selector switch.

Yeah, that selector switch is a real pain in the asteroid...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't updated lately because life has kind of gotten in the way. And when I did have time to work on this the things I tried doing failed...
Currently on the gun the top sight flips about. I attempted to glue it down but the glue didn't want to stick to the paint, so all the glue I put under the sight, which isn't painted, is doing just fine, but then on top of the gun where there is paint it didn't stick at all. I haven't decided if I want to move to the J&B weld to try and hold it down or take some sandpaper to the top to get rid of the paint and give it something to stick to or what.
I bought the wrong funnel for the scope when I was at Walmart and I have not yet made another trip to get the correct one so no progress on the scope either.
The other day I had to run into a hardware store with a friend and I found the stuff Lori suggested for my scop mounting, but I didn't expect to find it so I didn't have any info on me for exactly what I needed Crying or Very sad
someday soon I will get back on this project.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. This project was put to the side for a few other things I had going on. I have now circled back to it.
So here are the pics of the scope and V8 engine pieces primed

I took Lori's advice about getting the aluminum angle, which you can see the big bar of it. The aluminum bar I couldn't find in the measurements of the tutorial, I just picked up what I could find and I think it worked out. For the tube at the bottom of the scope, I used a bic pen cap.
I wanted the flash hider to sit further down the barrel, however I was running into issues while trying to widen the hole, so I just stopped where I ended up. So..it's kind of a dirty Harry Han Solo, hehe

Here are a couple pics of them painted. I have not yet put a finishing coat because sadly the scope fell over as it was drying, stuck to the newspaper and I ran out of spray paint so I couldn't do the angle bracket. So...I went and picked up a new can of spray paint and then picked up some acrylic paint to touch up the parts that ended up stripping off. But I'm hoping after I do the clear coat, the different shades of black won't be as noticeable.

I was hoping to have the gun completely built by tonight and maybe start on the belt...but I slacked off too much this week Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: