Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a0abc737d60253626c024560b623b32fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Force F/X Sabers - Dooku, Obi TPM, Ventress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm thanks Chris I had been wondering why hasbro would reduce quality. Good to hear
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Obi TPM is light but the box says that it is made of metal construction and it feels very cold to the touch like metal would feel and not plastic...

my guess is that it is lightweight metal...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base
KJO/Nexus Temple
Docking Bay 94/Mountain Mist Hangar Bay
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed the Obi-Wan last week. I really think it's in terms of scale one of their better ones granted it is still slightly big however looks quite nice, not a fan of the aaa batteries and the sound seems less loud and the blade slightly less bright but it overal is a nice saber. I had a dark spot on mine halfway up when I bought it, not a big one, but it was still there. I took it to the store and had them switch it but this new one too seems to have a slight dark spot halfway up on one side. Am I just lucky or have others seen this too.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Dooku one about 2 weeks ago. It is a bit heavy but very nice. Now to get it modded so I can remove the blade. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this site (first post); does seeing you folks talking about this meen that a potential Jedi *can* use these for their costume?

"There's no 'mystical energy field' that controls *my* destiny."
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. People have been using different FX sabers with their costumes since they came out.

Some get them convertered to have a single LED inside the hilt instead of the LED string in the blade. That way they have a removeable blade and cah hand the saber on their belt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear.
A) the Hasbro kind are appairently not 'allowed', and
B) Park Sabers (tm) are too expencive.
So these look like a nice alternative.

Any of these designs that are/soon will be out look good for a 'generic' Jedi?

"There's no 'mystical energy field' that controls *my* destiny."
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these are based off the movie sabers, so there isn't one you'll get where you won't hear someone say, why does so-and-so have *insert name*'s saber?
unless of course you are portraying that character.
Also the Force FX sabers are currently being produced by Hasbro, but I believe you were speaking about the cheap plastic sabers, yes those ones are not allowed.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:
I grabbed the Obi-Wan last week. I really think it's in terms of scale one of their better ones granted it is still slightly big however looks quite nice, not a fan of the aaa batteries and the sound seems less loud and the blade slightly less bright but it overal is a nice saber. I had a dark spot on mine halfway up when I bought it, not a big one, but it was still there. I took it to the store and had them switch it but this new one too seems to have a slight dark spot halfway up on one side. Am I just lucky or have others seen this too.

the dark spot halfway up the blade is the point where the 2 halves of the LED ladder are joined together. this is normal.

I have a luke ANH in pieces on my pool table, I took the LED ladder out, and you can see how they made the joint where the 2 halves join together. its not a dark LED. its just, at the joint, there is a bit of extra 'space' between 2 consecutive LED's. nothing to worry about

p.s: where did you get the obiwan? did you buy it locally?
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall if it was mentioned in this thread, but the cheapest place online seems to be http://www.redfordfilms.com/
if you sign up to their email blasts you get, I think a 5% discount and then any purchase over $50 is free shipping.
I purchased mine through the Star Wars Shop (I know the question wasn't directed at me but figured I'd share anyway) and had I gone through the other place I would've saved close to $30.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt yes I did buy it locally. At collectors edge in WEM which was like 10 dollars cheapier then comic king in WEM
Obi-Jeff Kenobi (Jeff Hoyle)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually to test if its plastic or metal i use my tongue lol. If its cold its metal and if its not cold its plastic. The TPM is made up of Metal and Aluminum and there are 2. I could say that they could use Carbon fiber for making light weight but that would be expensive, lol and if you go to the TSS site forums you can see a how to convert it.

Also next year in 2010 I have been hearing rumors that a Qui-gon Jinn FX Saber will be coming out in the fall.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, TPM Obi-Wan is metal, I was wrong. It was just so light that I didn't think it was since I figured there was no way it was aluminum.
Oh well, it's still great to have the correct saber that lights up while I wear my Ep I outfit. Heck, even when I'm just sitting around the house, heh.
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:

True Ky, the Obi TPM is metal, light sure, but metal at the end.

I've just got mine, it was a VERY long wait (I know I know, but just consider that here in Mexico everything arrives sooooo late!!!) but well, at last I have it and I can gine my appreciation, so here I go:

1. There is that "blind spot" at the middle of the blade, and I'm thankful to know that it is "normal" Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

2. For my taste, and I've been able to hold all the FX hilts till now (but Assajj's and Dooku's) and this is the most accurate both Mr or Hasbro. The size is obviously little bit bigger, but not so much. I have an ep. 2 LE Obi Wan, and the difference is "nothing" really, so if you have manager to get this beauty, you're a lucky guy really, cause this hilt just rocks.

3. The disappointing thing here is the sound and maybe a little bit the brightness of the blade, which I do not consider primordial regarding the quality of the hilt. The sound is "deaf", I don't know if the term in english is rightly used, but it just seems to be like hearing the AM band at the radio hahaha!!!

Overall I would buy it again (which I will hehe), from my point of view it worths!! Wink

Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

Medals: 8 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine right after it came out. Didn't care much that it was a bit big as I have others that are plenty more accurate. The things that got me was obviously it had the bottom 1/4 of the blade the led ladder is dead out of the box. The sound is very faint and what I've seen on things to improve it are rather poor.

The dooku weighs more and its bigger than any other FX made to date, even the Mace Windu. It also isn't as load as it should be either.

Only one I don't have is the ventruss which I haven't heard a lot of good about either, but we'll see. Got to have it to round out the old collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: