About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6ca5b3d539ae73166e2dd2acdcdf141eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han ESB shirt question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Han ESB shirt question Reply with quote

Hello all, question for you on your Han ESB shirts, how do you have the front bib/flaps anchored? I just made my shirt on Sunday for a parade Monday night and I couldn't decide how I wanted to do that, so I just safety pinned it for the parade. I was thinking velcro, but one of the other costumers there was saying that velcro might not allow it to hang that well.
Also, the way I constructed mine is basically two flaps that fold over each other...so I also need to figure out how to get the top flap to stay the whole way down...zipper, velcro, snaps, other?
(I'll do pics of it after I fix the sleeves, but another costume has priority currently...so not sure when that'll be)
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my shirt tacked down with a few small stitches.

Bob
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...I'm not positive I'd be able to pull it on like a t-shirt if I stitched it closed. I'm not the most skilled tailor, not even so much as to be called an unskilled tailor, heh. And I designed and sewed this one myself...but that is a though, I could pin it the way I would want it and see if I could pull it off, if so, stitching might be my best answer. Thanks!
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about snaps or buttons?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snaps were suggested to me by someone local, but the thing I'm worried about is, that they would then be visible...at least to my knowledge. But I do have the flap double layered...so I suppose I could just undo those stitches, attach the snapes so the backing is on the inner layer, then redo the stitching...but sewing the flaps together like I did was a pain, so I'd rather not repeat it if at all possible.
But if I'm completely wrong about how snaps attach, then that would be the better option.
from looking at the pics, there's nothing that you can see on the front of the flap that shows how they had it attached, so I'd rather just keep the front free and clear of anything, even stitches if at all possible.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to unstitch the flap to add snaps, just sew them onto the bottom layer of fabric so the stitches don't show on the outside. And they make small clear plastic snaps that are all but invisible.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In true reality there is no need for snaps/ velcro or anything fancy. There is no need for the flap to be a movable flap. Its not a movable flap in the movie, its stitched down and rather permanant positioning. Its not like a Luke shirt in ROTJ where he has it open at times or something like that. There is plenty of pictoral evidence that shows that the "Bib" is sewn closed. Make it like in the movie and put it on like normal shirt IMO.

KISS method FTW.

Bob
defyitall (Christian Evans)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah with the bib and open collar in the front unless your head is like 50 inches wide you can get it on just fine.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...I'm not entirely certain what I was worried about. I just stitched the overlapping bib panel down near where I want it to flap over and then a stitch near the bottom just to keep it closed in a close to straight fashion. Rather than stitching the whole thing down the whole way...which probably would have worked.
I've decided to eventually redo this shirt as I just kinda made it with no clue what I was doing. But it'll get me by until I can work with someone that actually knows stuff to remake it.
I'm going to be in a parade tomorrow with it, so I'll try to get pictures. Thanks for the advice everyone!
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing the pics. Have a blast in the parade!

Phoenix 17
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright...so I did get pics that weekend I had posted about trying to get them...but they weren't with my camera and that person hasn't given them or posted them, heh. So...I HAD to dress up as Han for another event, while I was waiting for the princess to finish up I decided to snap a couple of me in the shirt. Of course that was a couple weeks ago and I just finally got around to photoshopping them...

After speaking with some people, I think I figured out what I did wrong...sadly that means I have to start over. Basically, I didn't make sure the sleeve holes matched for the front and back panel of the shirt. So that completely threw off how the sleeves sit, which made it impossible to fix. But hey, he always pushed up his sleeves anyway, so until I get around to remaking it, no one will know Laughing Wink
Oh yeah, and I think when I go to sew down the front bib, I'm going to sew a straight line from the bottom of the shirt up to where I want the flap to anchor. I tried a line on the angle and as you can see that caused a bit of a pucker in the shirt that I don't care for. After I finish with the belts, I'll come back around to the shirt as this will totally work for now.
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that about the sleeves but it looks great regardless for your first time around with it. It's not an easy shirt to make to begin with.

But when you are ready to remake the shirt, might I suggest a different way to anchor the bib-front layers?

On the original shirt, they were anchored with a line of stitching across the middle front from one side of the bib layers to the other, then a simple tack was made at the top about level with Harrison's underarms (see below). I did both with Bob's shirt and not only does it match what we see in the film with the top of the bib point falling open properly, it lays nice and flat. Additionally, if you don't like the position it's tacked in, it's a simple matter of snipping the tack stitch, repositioning and re-tacking.

Hope that will help! Smile

Costume Portfolio
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, I never thanked you Beret for the reference material in here. I keep meaning to use it to resew my flaps on my current shirt.
But I was able to get some pretty good pics in this outfit the other weekend so I thought I'd share one of the profile pics:

by my estimation all I have left to do/get is to modify the pants to put in a riding seam, ESB blaster and gun belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: