Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1c2e23bccfe94808653f2bafab9f6f70Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

JDRF Walk - Roanoke, VA - Oct. 4th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Freedom Base Event Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (2)

(0)

(1)

User Registered Confirmed
Murray1134Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:33 am
JennFaerealityMon Jun 15, 2009 2:41 am
Bouri-PlwelTue Aug 18, 2009 3:25 am
Murray1134 (Paul)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: JDRF Walk - Roanoke, VA - Oct. 4th Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Andy Simmons the co-chair of Shevacon here in Roanoke has approached the 501st and Rebel Legions about doing a JDRF Walk on Oct 4th.

Andy wants to do this as an event to promote both Legions as well as the con itself. Shevacon has really been impressed with both the 501st and the Rebel Legion, and they really enjoy our presence at the con and what we stand for. This is a way to gain visibility in the region, as well as pull in more potential members.

A team has been created called the "Shevacon Legion Alliance" for those looking to walk in or out of costume. You can sign up for the team here http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=walk.walkeradd&chapterid=4690&eventID=4862

In addition to walkers, we are also looking for people to run a table, answer questions about the Legions and the con, attract attention, and generally look pretty for photo ops Smile

This seems like a great opportunity for all involved.
Jedi in Training
Moof Milker
Murray1134 (Paul)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up.

Donations are being accepted http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmID=87370418
Jedi in Training
Moof Milker
Murray1134 (Paul)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping up again. Just reminding everyone that any and all are welcome to join in on the fun.

Spoken to the JDRF event coordinators and they would really like to have some costumed people for photo ops in there Kiddie corner. The helmet and mask issue has been take care of. We are still awaiting an okey on having a fan table setup.

The walk itself is 2 miles long in Downtown Roanoke. Starting and ending at the Transportation Museum. There is also a 1 mile "family friendly" walk.

There will be water and diabetic friendly snacks for everyone, with a picnic to follow the event.

Just a reminder, any and all are welcome. If you can't make it, donations are always good too. http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmID=87370418
Jedi in Training
Moof Milker
JennFaereality (Jennifer DePaola)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon guys... there has to be some interest in coming out this way to help a 'home con' and a charity at the same time. Wink

We need to help make our presence known on this side of the state, and get out there in the public eye. The local TV stations will be out, and it would be great to have some Jedi's, RFT's, Pilots, Senators, and Allies out there to help us pose for photos with the children.

It's only one afternoon, and you don't actually have to walk unless you want to. We are working with the JDRF staff about setting up a table and such to be near the kids corner. So if you don't walk, you can just stand there and be eye-candy.

Plus, if you come out... you'll get a free patch for doing the event! Very Happy

Dacen Salu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenn

will put myself down as possible for right now, anything changes,
will let you know.

The Force fights WITH me!!!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken! Very glad to have you if you're able to come out Smile

Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys..I have a military obligation that day for the USAF Honor Guard

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sucks, Rick.. but is understandable. Do your duty, or you might be expelled from the Jedi Order. Laughing :jedi1:

Currently the 501st Guys are talking about having some sort of party or get-together either on Sat. or Sun. night. Not sure how that will pan out, but assuming that it all gets worked out, any RL members are more than welcome.

This is a joint even with the con, and both Legions. The more the merrier Very Happy woo hoo

JediMistressDragon ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still up to 4 hours away from where we live and I keep most of weekends open if not already filled for signings for my ghost books. And yes, most of the Saturdays themselves are already filled--since June. Sorry, but my writing deals come first. It's my job literally.
JMD
JediMistressDragon ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time is the walk that day (I know it's a Sunday)? Maybe I can convince a bookstore that way to let me do a book signing. Just not same time as when the walk is. Email me offline to tell me, as would need to contact the B&Ns and any bookstores one of the people that way know about now.
JMD
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobs come first... as they should Smile

Most of the troops/events that take place are at least 3 to 6 hours away from us as well. So I hear ya. Smile

This event takes place on a Sunday, for anyone who hasn't checked the calendars yet. Smile

The location is downtown Roanoke, at the Transportation Museum.
http://vmt.org/

303 Norfolk Ave.
Roanoke VA 24016

Check-in is at 12:30pm

Walk Starts at 2:00pm

Murray1134 (Paul)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one last update on this, if anyone wants to come out and play with us here in Roanoke!

We will be meeting up around 11am for any setup and last minute arrangements, check in for the walk begins at 12 and the walk begins at 2.

Any and all are welcome!
Jedi in Training
Moof Milker
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event was a total blast! I came dressed as a member of the Galactic Senate in my Padme costume, and was the only RL member out there trooping. I was also surrounded by 4 Stormtroopers, and 2 pending Imperial Officers, and members of the SheVaCon Staff.

We spent most of the day walking around, and mingling with the crowds, posing for photos with the children near the kids corner, as well as adults. And of course got some great shout-outs by the local radio station who were the MC's for the event. Then soon it was time to get down to business and walk the walk.

Since this was a joint event with GT, and SheVaCon - we had quite a large group walking the route through downtown Roanoke. The walk took a little longer than expected due to all of the people wanting to take photos with us. At one point, we actually stopped traffic when one car full of people got out, while still in traffic, and had to have their photos taken with us. It was great! Laughing

A great time was had by all, and the JDRF Blueridge Chapter was very pleased to have us, and are looking forward to including us on future events.

For anyone wishing to see photos, there are some posted on the SheVaCon site here: http://www.shevacon.org/Images/JDRF/index.html
(and will be posted on the new FB.org soon too!)

I hope that next time I will have some Jedi protectors, and other Rebels out there with me. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Freedom Base Event Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: