About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=52cbc1bec1aea12635ac48fae31220d8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Original droid builder for ANH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HKiller (Jim Hunter)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Original droid builder for ANH? Reply with quote

To all droid historians:

I am acting as a mentor for some high school kids through my job, and one of them said his aunt's father designed and built both C-3P0 and R2. Does anyone have any info to verify this claim (I don't think the student would intentionally misrepresent the facts) ... and are there any questions anyone would like me to ask that you haven't all already gotten the answers to long ago?

Thanks,

Jim (who would one day like to build an R2 but has no time nor money at the moment)
DroidWelder ()

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Original R2 units and some of 3PO's suit parts were built by the people at Norank Engineering Ltd. in Elstree under the supervision of Special Effects Supervisor John Stears in 1975. Norank names said to work on R2 were Malcolm Page, Harry Hankin and Geoff Burnstein.

More info here: http://norank.co.uk/

And here: http://www.elstreeprops.com/page20.php

If I remember correctly, Nick Harrison (one of the original Norank builders) who currently owns Elstree Props was a member of R2 Builders, but was banned due to his commercial use of the droids and other props.

For Empire, They desired to have several droid bodies built in fiberglass for which Tony Dyson did the work. It's likely that Tony also worked on some of the 3PO suit pieces as the suit has some fiberglass parts and some 3PO parts were seen in the background of pics at Tony's shop.

There are probably other members on R2 Builders that may know more than I do about it.

David L.
HKiller (Jim Hunter)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers ... and fast, too! Cool

Awesome links, those pics of the 3PO arms all racked up are really cool (and, of course, the shots of the designers digging around inside R2). Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: