About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8cc130557214c45ff1c63553ed710183Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Male twi'lek jedi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Pete (Peter stringer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Male twi'lek jedi Reply with quote

My better half has just brought a new sewing machine so i wanna out it to the test with another jedi costume, this time completly my own design, old republic still, but a male twileek, i cant recal seeing any in any starwars films maybe i just missed them so i am turning to the professonals for help...

Is there anyone with linkor pix or anything that will help me that would be great....

And i am a member of the KJO if i have another costume do i have to resubmit it to the KJO to allow that costume in...

Thanx and MTFBWY

A Jedi whose lightsaber is guided by the Force need not fear the outcome of any battle."
Kirah Sylvian ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bib Fortuna;

Orn Free Taa;

Shado Vao;
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shado_Vao

Surely these aren't all Jedi but maybe they can give you inspiration on Twi'lek clothing?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Twi'lek

I believe there is one or more male Twi'lek in one of the Old Republic Games, but I can't recall his name.

Good luck Smile

Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been fond of Tott Doneeta, from the Tales of the Jedi comics.

Pam :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!
I'll be watching this post close.

I have been researching the same thing in the lasts' days, and all the Twi'leks Jedi I have found are all females. But saw of a guy that made a Bib Fortuna Costume and it looks awesome.

I suggest that you look around in "Rebel Supporters" forums, there are some posts of twi'lek building (in relation to the lekkus). And as the same of not finding males in the jedi order (old & new) every person that has recreated this species are all females.

I will continue looking around for male twi'leks, so I can have an idea of how the lekkus go around. Maybe I'll end up submitting my jedi outfit as a Twi'lek.

I have seen different styles on making the lekkus; one is of latex, they look great and will be durable depending of the use and maintenance; and the other is of fabric ( saw one of a lady who made her Darth Talon lekkus this way and looked really great.

The Jedi Photographer...
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have mission Vao as a party npc in KOTOR, but there are numerous generic Male Twi'lek NPCs through-out the entire KOTOR series.

as far as costuming goes:

you have about 3 choices in which to make Twi'lek Lekku (head tails) when costuming:

1- the Nylon-head method- stuff a pair of ladies nylons with wadding and coat with liquid latex, then paint.
the good- you have head tails... good job.
the bad- the latex soaks throught the nylons and wadding adding tremendous weight to the appliance as well as not having a natural looking skin texture.

2- the sewn Lekku method- sew the lekku out of the same material you make your body stocking, and stuff with wadding.
The good- You have head tails, they are much more comfortable to wear and matches the costume. if done right can appear to be perfect at long distances. the chosen method for those without FX makeup experience.
The bad- its a stuffed sock on your head. up close the texture of the fabric is different from the texture of skin. it looks more like a hat than a living part of your head.

3- The professional method- take a mannequin head, or if possible a life cast of the person intending to wear the appliance, sculpt using oil-based clay the prosthetic appliance. once the sculpt is done, make a multi-piece mold using plaster in order to fill the mold with foam latex (and in some cases pour liquid latex into the mold). then paint appropriate color(s) in order to match to the wearer using makeup.
the good- this is the general method of creating proessional movie effects makeup. from zombies to aliens, they have been using this method since before movies had color or sound. this was also how they made Lekku for the twi'leks of Star wars... even the prequels.
the bad- when in foam form, latex appliances are much lighter, but less durable and harder to maintain over time. Liquid latex is much more durable and lasts longer, but is less able to blend with the skin. both methods will degrade over time... like a decade or so, but you get the texture you need to create a convincing prosthetic appliance.

Also note: unless you can cover over the makeup lines, the maintainence for prosthetic makeup appliances are very high, and you will need specialized adhesives to make it stick to skin for long periods of time.

I hope this helps.

I've been thinking about doing Twi'lek Lekku for a while now, but I don't have the money to make the mold for just myself.

being commissioned to do it on the other hand... raise eyebrows perhaps a lekku appliance run maybe in order? like how some fabricators do armor?

just a thought. Mr. Green
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam latex lekku would be pretty cool. I've got Pam's liquid ones, which are amazing. But foam would be cool because they move so well.
I am sure that if you did a run of them, people would be interested. Also, if you look at the close up picture of oola that appeared in a recent Star Wars insider, you can see the edge of her lekku prosthetic sticking out from under her headpiece.
Jedi Pete (Peter stringer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we got a mission on out hands lads, i was more thinking about a black and red lekku and having my face painted in some freeky way along the lines of darth maul and darth talon, but having the costume more earth tones as to not seem to sith but its a look im very interested in...

i have emailed pam who has made the lekkus for chantel who we all know does fab costumes, but its all about cost at the momment so if there is anyway we can get a bulk ordered them im up for that.....

Great feedback guys and gals, keep it coming

A Jedi whose lightsaber is guided by the Force need not fear the outcome of any battle."
maycol ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be interesting to watch, good luck with this project Wink
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if these are foam latex lekku, I would be interested. It will have to wait until after I am back from San Francisco this november, but it sounds good.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick is making the mold. that is the most expensive part of the project.

I did the numbers and for me to make a single mold made would be in the $400 range. this would be custom sculpt by me and I would retain the mold for future runs which will be possible due to the mehtods used. it would also be just the "skin" appliance. none of the costume bits (headresses & such) would be included.

that doesn't include the Liquid latex for casting and Appliance paint to do up finished pieces. I do airbrush work on the side, so painted Lekkus would not be out of the question. Very Happy

If there is enough interest, think I should set up a thread in the Sell/Trade section as this is beginning to be a bit off-topic?

secura
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a turban/cap like Tott'doneeta's be considered canon, on another Jedi than Tott'doneeta?
If so, then only the lekku themselves need to be made, and they are basically tapered cylinders. The rest of the headpiece could be some kind of construction out of plastic, fiberglass or something else that just holds the lekku to the head.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Lars wrote:
Would a turban/cap like Tott'doneeta's be considered canon, on another Jedi than Tott'doneeta?
If so, then only the lekku themselves need to be made, and they are basically tapered cylinders. The rest of the headpiece could be some kind of construction out of plastic, fiberglass or something else that just holds the lekku to the head.

that's the idea. the headress is seperate from the appliance so that you can customize the costume as you see fit.

usually, the Aayla Secura styled appliance (lekku) fits to the head similar to a bald cap or hat. the headress just covers the makeup lines providing a seamless effect with a minimum of fuss.

you may want to think about stocking up on makeup adhesive so that the appliance will stay in place as long as possible. Convention use might warrant periodic touch-ups to the adhesive depending to the type of adhesive used & how much you sweat.

just things to consider when deciding to go alien. secura
Temple ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have plans on building a tott donetta light saber and just sent pam and email about lekku... was thinkin of doin a donetta costume
Draco ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Twi’lek Jedi I made a while ago. I haven't submitted it because I’m still not completely happy with it. I will keep working on it and eventually put it in for RL approval.

I made the Lekku myself with latex over material.

My belt was having a bad day.

Last edited by Draco () on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about making a Tott Doneeta costume, or at least a male Twi'lek with a similar turban. A few years ago, I bent some sheet plastic to make this, but I did not go any further. (sorry for the bad pic)

The idea was to attach lekku where I have drawn circles and hide the headpiece with a turban. The headpiece is held on the head with velcro, which should be strong enough.

I intended to make the lekku out of supple leather: Simple triangular shapes. Instead of stitching them closed, I would glue them edge to edge to get a flat seam that is very narrow. Then I would try to hide the seam even further with makeup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: