About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=03fc08d5f412b87faf1144defd016085Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Technician Arm Tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Technician Arm Tools Reply with quote

I know there's nothing in the Standards about needing arm tools for these costumes (do Hoth hangar Techs even have them?), probably because you don't see every on screen Yavin Tech with them in their arm tool pocket, unlike with the X-Wing pilots, so I imagine that most who do this costume won't bother with them, especially since they look different than the X-Wing tools. Phyllis carries one thing in one of her pocket slots, but I can't tell if it's a pen, a tire pressure gauge, or what. Razz

But since I'm the kind of person who like greeblies, gadgets and props, when I do this costume, because I'll have an arm tool pocket, I intend to have something in those slots.

I was at a friend's place a couple weeks ago, watching the Yavin Hangar scenes in HD at 1/16 speed and I noticed the Tech's arm tools, there's a good look at one guy's pocket in one scene. The tools reminded me of quick connectors for air compressor hoses, so the next time I went to my local Ace Hardware for some parts for another project, I picked up a quick connector for a couple bucks. It looks like the DP301 in this pic:

They also carry aluminum tubing, so I'm going to see what else I can come up with to make 2 more arm tools. The rest of what I saw at Ace was either too big, too expensive, or made of brass and smaller. I'd like to find one that looks like DP201 in this pic, I also like the way it looks:

DP203 has an interesting look to it too.

What I'll probably end up doing for the end of at least one of the others is putting pieces of hardware together like different washers and spacers, similar to this old X-Wing arm tool tutorial. But I'm going for a unique look for mine.

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/tutorials/pages/xwingcylinders.html

I will also look at some other hardware stores to see what kind of male quick connectors they have.
I often like to work on the prop parts of my costumes first, because I enjoy that part more than the sewing part, so when I get my tools finished, I'll post pics of them and maybe do a little tutorial, if anyone's interested.

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always Lori...
this is awesome information...

I noted no tools in the Hoth Tech's pockets that I could see...
I did see tools in the pockets of various personnell in the "Command Center" on Echo Base though...
and this information would be helpful for those folks...
and
for Yavin Techs to be sure...

And..
I will never tell what is in my pocket...
that is "classified"...

Laughing

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Jedi_Boyer (Michel Boyer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

Thank you so much for the posting the link about the x-wing code cylinders. I wanted to make some as I am currently working on 3 x-wing pilot costumes and really didn't want to shell out $75 for the machined ones. This is a great help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: