About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f1acec1a767596a170a385da187a6276Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lake Dress attempt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevenblades ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Lake Dress attempt Reply with quote

Hello lovelies!

I've been working on a version of the Lake Dress for Fan Expo this weekend, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. The wig is a bit messy (my cap and spray aren't here), and the dress isn't placed properly with fashion tape. The photos give a general idea, though.

Also, forgive my un-made-up scary face!

leiasolosinger (Teresa Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done a lovely job; thanks for sharing the photos! My only suggestion would be to raise the choker necklace so that it lies closer to your neck.

Enjoy wearing it this weekend! Smile
Maumi (Dena Maumi Curtis)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice so far. Can't wait to see it completely done up and I agree the choker needs to come up closer to your neck other wise nicely done.
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure it looks wonderful!

The best reference photo's can be found here - http://www.padawansguide.com/pastel.shtml

The choker does have to come up - seen in this photo best I think...

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/pastel/padme_pastel_large.jpg

With your wig cleaned up in to the conk shell nicer and the choker tightened up, it looks ready for approval.
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done.... it looks great
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did you make your wig out of? Or more specifically what did you use to shape the conch shell part in the back and how much does it weigh? I'm trying to figure out a way to drop weight off of mine before my neck really protests...
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padme of Hidden Lake wrote:
what did you make your wig out of? Or more specifically what did you use to shape the conch shell part in the back and how much does it weigh? I'm trying to figure out a way to drop weight off of mine before my neck really protests...

It wasn't for this costume, but I heard about using Styrofoam to wrap/glue extensions or a wig around/over to form the hair without having a lot of weight to it.

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rachel - I shall have to try to figure out a way to get that to work. Mine is wire mess and that just weighs too much... Even just replacing the back part would help alot.
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Lakeside Dress Dying Help Reply with quote

where are the instructions for the dying of this dress please?

Thanks

Cathy
John 3:16
Bespin Base
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the part of my tutorial on dying. let me know if that helps:

Quote:
To Dye:
Once I had the whole thing put together (as in I could have put on the under-dress and gotten married in it that day) I dyed each layer. I started with the yellow and moved through to the purple while keeping the pieces damp so the colors would blend on the edges. I used RIT Dye Powder in Golden Yellow, Rose Pink, and Purple. I used a 4-gallon stockpot to dye in, so I only needed half the dye packets. But since powdered dye does not save well and the pot was very crowded I would recommend a plastic tub twice that size. Follow the mixing directions on the back of the package – boil water and measure carefully to make the concentrated dye – then fill the bucket halfway with hot water from the tap (I mixed mine with the pot in my bathtub). I then added about a tablespoon of laundry detergent to improve the colorfastness in the silk. I used the Tide Simple Pleasures, which had the bonus effect of negating the smell of the dye. Then finish filling the tub with water making sure to leave enough room for the fabric.
Slightly dampen the material, then dip just the part you want yellow in the yellow dye. Mine took to the right color in about 10 seconds for the under-dress and about 5 seconds for the overdress using the hot water in a bucket method. If you let it cool a bit it will take a tiny bit longer but silk colors very easily. I rinsed it in cool (not cold) water immediately until the water ran clear which sealed the color in, then put just a tiny bit of the yellow dye on the edge where it needed to blend into the pink letting this bit stay hot and saturated (if you only have one dye bucket save a bit of the yellow in a small dish and carefully paint it on right before putting on the pink dye or it will get too dark). The pink goes on next the same way. Make sure to over lap the yellow by an inch or two (more if you want more of an orange color in yours). Again it only took a few seconds to get to the color I wanted and I rinsed immediately putting on just a small blending line right before adding the purple. The purple took the longest in the dye bath for me – but it was also the coldest and still took less than 20 seconds all together. Watch your fabric as you are dying it – it will look a little darker wet than dry and some of the color does come out when you rinse so let it get a little darker than you want in the dye (but only a little!). Once I rinsed out the excess purple I put the whole dress in the dryer for 10 minutes on low to set it.

Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much. Not that I will ever make this dress, but I have an idea for another outfit. Smile
John 3:16
Bespin Base
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. This really isn't a hard one to MAKE. Wearing it takes a bit more work, but it is so worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: