About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2c0b04d4120aa9406de2b3ba4212d0a9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Commanding Officer (CO) Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Wolf (Fred C. Parsons III)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darzu wrote:
What exactly are you implying with this statement

Implying nothing. Just stating what I have seen dealing with different companies.

How about you ask some companies about using company equipment for personal use like making personal copies (over 100 copies) and see what they say.

But right now, I would hate to hear about anyone lose a job or get in trouble over something, like an indiscretion they made.

In a fanclubs or real life one must follow the rules.

"I'm only a simple trained killer, but something tells me never to eat in a restaurant with a bad pun over the door." Sev

Last edited by Dark Wolf (Fred C. Parsons III) on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesper2112 wrote:
SO... what are your ideas about bringing a sense of camaraderie to our Base?

I am open to ideas from members if they have any idea for it is your base.

One thing Alex and myself was looking at was a meet and greet in the Nashville area for it is about middle of the base. Where 501st, Mercs, and etc… could come and have fun eat and getting to know others away from a event/event weekend. I think the issue, we was having trying to find a place (cost, location, and size) to have it in a short time frame that we laid out for us to get setup. So, it did not happen.

If I get CO, I would like to try to do this in middle to late March. If you all would like to do it.

Another thing is Base Pride, to get members to feel good about our base. Where other bases and group know about our base in a good way. How to do this? Be active where one can and try to not cause problems. And welcome other potential members with open arms.

"I'm only a simple trained killer, but something tells me never to eat in a restaurant with a bad pun over the door." Sev

Last edited by Dark Wolf (Fred C. Parsons III) on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-TN wrote:
Not every member needs materials, but we need to do a better job of getting something in the hands of our most active members.

But something, I have learned being in charge of people is a very or most active does not cut it. There is other things one must look at. For example, can they work well with others, can they get stuff lined up and done, if something goes bad can they deal with it, and etc ...

Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
I agree they dont have to answer anything they dont want to, but I think the question falls in with the ability to organize since events are a huge part of the organization of the base *shrug*

Organize, I think, I learn that at TTU in Cookeville while in Engineering School what fun that was. To kill the stress walk on a strip and have fun going full speed with a saber. In Engineering School and in fencing one had to learn to make plans and follow them thru but ready to change at anytime.

I have a planner and I live by it to know what dates things have things done. When one get word of an event. One should have a list of things to get done and find out for the members. For Example:

1. Time Date Location?
2. What costumes are need and how many?
3. Any rules, laws, or other issues we need to be worried about?
4. Who is the contact person and information?
5. Will there be a place to change clothing?
6. A safe area to lock up our gear?
7. What groups are going to be there? If yes, see about working together for a better show. If not see if we can ask other groups to join us.
8. Post the data on the board.
9. Is there an local member or officer that can be a point man to set it up?

Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corellians and guests,

I was not going to comment about this, but honestly I think some of these questions are getting a little too heated. I am asking you as the current CO to stop bickering because this area can be seen publicly by everyone who is a member of the RL forums. Please stop the bickering because it can do damage to the base down the road with future members and even the council.

Thanks,
Alex
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Wolf wrote:
1. Who is going to be your XO?
3. What leadership positions have you been in?

Having been in a leadership position in the past only matters if you've accomplished something while in that position. That's why I have chosen Crystal Bass, the current CO of Ra Kura Base, the second largest base in the Rebel Legion, to be my XO. Crystal has been instrumental in the continuation of Rebel Legion involvement at Star Wars Weekends as well as numerous other accomplishments. Anyone can feel free to visit the [url="http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18"]Ra Kura Base forum[/url] to see how busy they are.

Additionally, Don Enck will be a key member of my command staff. He will be second in command until Crystall arrives. At that point, he will become Corellian Squadron Leader as we will have enough pilots. Further, he will lead the base costume project as we work to add even more pilots to our ranks.

Dark Wolf wrote:
2. How do you feel and plans on dealing with members that causes problems for the base and legion?

What?! I don't know that I can or should speculate. There are numerous ways that members could be troublesome and how persistent they could be in causing problems. I hope that this won't be an issue, but I will adhere to the charter and follow the procedures outlined within it. If it comes to it, I am not adverse to involving the criminal justice system.

Dark Wolf wrote:
4. Care to explain how you and the current CO of the Midsouth Garrison do not see eye to eye? For as CO of this base you have to deal with him. And would that get in the way of you dealing with him?

It's not relevent as I do not expect that our past issues will interfere with any future projects.

Dark Wolf wrote:
5. You have some good idea how to you plan on getting it paid for?

I think I've answered this already. I expect to pay for some of it myself, I hope that we can get donations to cover some expenses and that some members will also donate to the cause.

Dark Wolf wrote:
6. How do you plan to deal with people that ask you about stuff but you can not talk about it?

I'm tempted to just say "I'll tell you later." I work in a hospital and one of my projects uses the electronic medical record. I do my best to avoid seeing confidential patient information. As such, I would hope that members can understand that others have the right to privacy and I would use appropriate discretion to determine what information can be revealed to others.

Dark Wolf wrote:
7. What kind of PR work do you have in mind for the base and tthe legion?

I made a video slideshow for AdCon a couple years ago, but my computer died during the event, and I haven't really made progress on it. I thought there was something similar in the works as Alex asked for permission to use some of my pictures, but I haven't seen anything. I could certainly complete that project. There are plenty of PR materials available from the Legion, but I'm not well versed in what they are, so I need to do that before duplicating something that's already been done. I've stated before the need to get PR into the hands of the right people and then having them distribute it.

Dark Wolf wrote:
8. How do you feel about members bring their kids and etc... (for me my 11 year old brother) to events?

Do you mean just bringing them along? Or bringing them to costume as jawas or young Anakin or something? In general, I don't have issues with it as long as those members take responsibility for watching them and controlling their behavior. But I don't expect our other members to babysit for them. This is really something that needs to be determined on a case-by-case basis in regards to the child and the event.[/url]
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-TN wrote:
The Rebel Legion trading cards are actually less than half a cent each, which is far less than even B&W copies would normally cost, but it's a lot to pay for a large quantity of cards. However, the legion is doing much more affordable business cards. The price per card is about the same as the trading cards, but you can buy a much smaller quantity. Our own FallenJedi has bought some himself. I think VistaPrint or other online sources will print 250 business cards very cheaply. If we did have to send fliers to a member, it's less than $3 to send 100 sheets of paper. I wouldn't be averse to paying out of my own pocket, but I think we could either get some donations to pay for some costs or that members would be willing to donate a couple of dollars each.

Dark Wolf wrote:
I know for some companies make personal copies would be looked at stealing from the company.

I'd be a little more careful about making what could easily be seen as an accusatory statement. Different companies have different policies. Some may allow unlimited copies if you supply the paper. Some members may even work for printing companies and get unlimited free copies.

Dark Wolf wrote:
What are you wanting for all members in this base to get trading card? The trading card are nice BUT you need other stuff to hand out too. Like the FAQ sheet.

You totally missed the points, which were that the per item cost for a trading card is the same or less than any other PR material and that at most events, we don't have a table to lay out a variety of items, members are on their own. Most costumes have at least one pouch where you could keep a few cards to hand out to interested parties. I would think the Rebel Legion business card or, even better, the Base CO's trading card would be well suited for that purpose. I've got over 2000 cards in the closet.

Dark Wolf wrote:
You have rules you have to flow to get business card printed with the Rebel Legion logo on it.

I'm sure the rules are not that restrictive, but I don't need to worry about that because I've got cards already. I don't know how Alex got his cards made, but Derek used VistaPrint or a similar online company.

Dark Wolf wrote:
$3 to send 100 sheet of paper. Is that just for printing? And are you talking about mailing it to the members if so would that not run up the cost?

So what part of "to send" wasn't clear? For the most part, I would expect that some member from Nashville would be traveling to any event where we were having a table. If not, $3 is not an excessive amount of money to get materials to an event, or for a member to spend to get things printed himself (or herself).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alex. I was thinking about mentioning that myself.

People do need to chill out and remember we are all doing this because it is a hobby and we want to have fun while still being a socially aware group.

Stepping off my soapbox and returning to my little corner of the 'verse.

Lorri K

Orion knight-star wrote:
Corellians and guests,

I was not going to comment about this, but honestly I think some of these questions are getting a little too heated. I am asking you as the current CO to stop bickering because this area can be seen publicly by everyone who is a member of the RL forums. Please stop the bickering because it can do damage to the base down the road with future members and even the council.

Thanks,
Alex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesper2112 wrote:
No matter how this election turns out, I hope that anything asked or said in this Q+A will be set aside for the good of the Base. We're ALL here to have fun while dressing up in Star Wars costumes.

SO... what are your ideas about bringing a sense of camaraderie to our Base?

Well, camaraderie can only come from actually spending time together and getting to know one another. I think the dinner we had at AdCon was a step in the right direction, but one dinner a year isn't enough. If we put something together at ConNooga, MidSouthCon, and something in the fall (maybe GMX next year) then we might have something. I think creating a base identity with t-shirts so we can recognize members out of costume would be a positive step. Also, we might have meetings to work on the group costume project. Of course, we could go out to eat after any event, but we'd need to have an event.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darzu wrote:
2. Do you feel that good written and oral communication skills are necessary qualities for anyone in a leadership position?

It would depend on the position. The base webmaster might only need good written communication skills. But since we're concerned with the leader of Corellian Base, I would say that both written and oral communication skills are important to the position. While members reading in the forum may be able to overlook obvious grammar or spelling errors and still be able to get the gist of what someone is trying to write, it's a different story when you're trying to communicate with a company or a charity about an event. They're going to expect a level of professionalism. If someone were to inquire about an event and your response didn't quite make sense, it wouldn't reflect well on our organization and may cause them to reconsider having an event with us. Some events may require a phone conversation or even an in person meeting to go over the details. And once an event is actually happening you're going to have to deal with someone face-to-face, so good oral communication skills are going to be needed. Poor skills may result in some of our needs (like water or a secure changing area) not being met or jeopardize being invited back for future events.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closing Statement

What are my goals for the base:
1. To have fun
2. To have fun
3. To have fun
4. To get things together to have fun
5. To go back to reality (aka work and etc…) with a smile thinking about the fun we had.

To have fun, by doing event that the members of this base want to do. And to do this I needs your input as CO.

I am open to new ideas. As CO, I would look at them and see if they are doable by the rules and regs and see if we can accomplish them. Then ask for help to make it happen. And what help I do get, I would try to place people skills and talents where it would do most good. I am open to change if it can be accomplished.

I can remember back when we voted to break off from Freedom Base. I have seen good times and bad time but a lot more of good than bad. And I do mean A LOT more good than bad. And we shall have A LOT of good time.

Well I am out of here for the night. And do what I did in college a night before a big test. Go to a movie and chill out.

Do not forget to vote for CO. Vote for the one you think will be good for the base.

Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a few other things I wanted to mention:

While there was a question about other costuming groups, there was not one about Star Wars Fan Groups. While we obviously have significant contact with Chattooine, there are numerous other fan and collecting groups that we need to contact: Suspicious Mind Trick (Memphis), the Kentucky Star Wars Collectors Club, the Tennessee Star Wars Collectors Group, and Mandalorians: MSD (Mississippi). A lot of these groups have members with costumes who may just need a push or a little help to get them up to Rebel Legion standards or maybe they just need events to attend.

While I didn't do the art for the Centerpoint Temple logo myself, I did get the right person working on it (JediAgent) and provided direction. The end result:

I previously mentioned contacting Reserve members and trying to get them active again. I think we also have a fair number of Active members who haven't attended an event since the previous election and are in danger of becoming Rebel Legion Reserve. I would also make an effort to contact them so we can keep them as Active Members.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: