About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=52eee7b6666bf0a85734f4b055ddb037Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question regarding boots, ROTJ Luke vs. Generic New Republic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fordfun ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Question regarding boots, ROTJ Luke vs. Generic New Republic Reply with quote

Hello, I am finishing up my Luke ROTJ/ Generic New Republic Jedi and I am in a quandary over which boots to purchase. I like the look of the synthetic riding boots that I see several of the "Luke"s wear, but as I read the standards, it seems that they arent suitable for a generic new republic jedi. Leather boots arent in the budget at this time, and while I intend on going with a formal new republic jedi, I'd like the option of going with the Luke costume if I ever have the nerve to shave off the moustache.

BTW, the standard for Luke ROTJ mentions " no buzz cuts or beards, so I assumed that I didnt have to shave the moustache to meet the requirements. Are moustaches allowed, or does the standard need to be more clearly stated ( "no facial hair")? Just a bit confusing as I thought that the standards were "the law". Unless beard and moustache are synonymous in some far reach of the galaxy...

Thank You, Gary
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the standards say "no beards", its safe to assume that means no mustaches too. Luke didn't have one.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fordfun ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that , it just seems that the costume standards are often quoted as bible, and it would seem that a simple "no facial hair" would be more accurate. When I first decided to join the RL, I carefully looked over the different costumes to find something that I liked, and something that I could afford to do. I assumed that as long as I met the listed "standards" criteria, I wouldnt have any trouble. If moustaches arent allowed than it should be listed there. The only thing that I "assumed" was that the costume standard allowed me to keep the moustache, because it wasnt specifically mentioned, only beards are. Irregardless, my main focus right now are the boots, and finding out if boots like your rubber riding boots are a definite "no-no" for a generic new republic jedi. I think they look better than the costume boots and I would rather use them if possible.

Thank You, Gary
Dacen Salu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check some of the online military surplus stores
for the black military boots....for my one costume i have a pair of
german officer parade boots that i picked up for about $60...something
along those lines would go with a ROTJ Luke i believe.

The Force fights WITH me!!!
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of the LCJs have an opinion on the boot question? I talked to Gary a bit about his project yesterday and what he's looking at are the synthetic material riding boot-style, which is what many folks wear for their ROTJ Luke, or the more generic 'costume boots' which (while also synthetic) look a little more leather-like. His concern is that while the synthetic boots might be OK specificically for ROTJ Luke, he's going for a Luke-'inspired' generic NR Jedi (because he doesn't want to shave the facial hair) and likes the synthetic riding boots but is afraid that the wording of the Generic NR Jedi standards they'd be disallowed (I think it's the part about no rubber boots he's worried about).

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe one of our Endor Base members got approved as a New Republic Jedi with black rubber boots.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fordfun ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bump Bart and for phrasing my question more concisely. Matt, I appreciate the heads up.

Gary
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:
Although the standards say "no beards", its safe to assume that means no mustaches too. Luke didn't have one.

this is correct, it is assumed that no beards also means no moustache as Matt said, Luke didn't have either a beard or a moustache.

THX-1138 (Billy Soto)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the "quoted as bible" sentiment. Just assume, that if you're doing a face character, your facial hair and hair styles need to be the same as the character you're portraying. (i.e. no 6-inch spiked hair if you're Han, and no moustache if you're Luke)

Hope that helps.
Scout Trooper- I have the gun...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: