Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6106fadd65a58cd3479a96baad7cb769Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Alright! Something new!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmc2291 (Dennis)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Droid forum Reply with quote

Queen Amidala wrote:
bmann wrote:
I am also part of the R2 builders club and there has already been some discussion about trying to get our own droid room for next years Dragon*Con. Actually it would be droids and other robots such as C-3PO, Daleks, K-9, B-9, Scrubber droids, mouse droids etc.

I still can't belive that D*C
a) set up a table next to the exit door to art show
b) got all in a twist that the R2 Builders had their droids at the table
c) made them move the droids
d) took away the table completely

Who ever set the floor plan didn't check with the powers that be that freaked about that floor plan and then made it seem like the R2 Builders were in the worng. Hello that is what they do every year, bring the droids to show them to the public.

bmann wrote:
The requirements for having your own room at DragonCon is that you must have a "FanTrack" which means you must have programming for the attendees of the con.

They should be able to figure out some way to have you display the droids w/o making you come up with a full weekend of programing.

When I heard the fan table coordinator say "We were getting away with it at the Marriott, but the Fire Marshall won't let us get away with it here" (meaning having droids around the table) my first thought was "Why are we "getting away with" anything, why hasn't the issue been resolved or better planned for...

Last edited by dmc2291 (Dennis) on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my R2

I will go on record here as stating that R2 Units and thier handlers should be full RL members regardless of what the wrangler is wearing...

feel free to beat me up on that...

But seriously...
The RL is letting a great opportunity for some of the most awesome characters around slip though their fingers...

I have had my R2 unit to a lot of events...
and he can upstage just about anyone...
and mine is a very simple version...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
JediMom3 (Andrea Samulewicz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:

I will go on record here as stating that R2 Units and thier handlers should be full RL members regardless of what the wrangler is wearing...

Wink

I agree Phyllis and tryed to push for this but not everyone was in agreement Crying or Very sad

Samurai ()

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:

Not to mention the fact that safety is the number one factor and wearing a costume can cause issues with that. Helmets can limit vision and long draping material can get in the way of controls. They can also bring too much attention to the operator when they need to give 100% attention to the operation of the droid.

Of course then there is the issue of droids being on the rebel side and the empire side. They are on both. Should Clone troopers be in the rebel or empire side?
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe some droids...

But R2-D2 is most definitely Rebel...

Very Happy

Samurai ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
maybe some droids...

But R2-D2 is most definitely Rebel...

Very Happy

Then what are clone troopers? R2 was on the same side in that time period...
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...
let's not go there..

Very Happy

Samurai ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
lol...
let's not go there..

Very Happy

I know... Cool
Voort saBinring (Jon Stokes)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank the Maker!*

It is so good to have a haven here in the Rebel Legion.
"At last we can reveal ourselves", erm... I mean there certainly do seem to be a lot of familiar faces popping up.

I hope My Mouse Droid and my R2 will start to become a regualr sight around this forum.

*I honestly can't beleive I'm the first one to say that!
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off let me say that this forum is awesome!!! It has already blown up with posts and the Droids look friggin sweet. I was thinking about building an R2 at some point to tag along with me while in pilot garb and this is pretty sweet that we have a forum for all droids, well the good guy droids at least!
Now back to the topic at hand. My two cents is this…: I agree that building an R2 or other good guy droid, should grant (Formal) submission into the RL! But being that we are the RL and have some guidelines set, “wranglers” should have a dress code, yet to be established by RL’ers in charge. Maybe the droid would be a “formal” costume and the wranglers could wear an informal costume, like what Phyllis was wearing (Kind of an informal Jedi, right?? Still Star Wars-y).
I know when I get mine done many light years from now, my pilot costume will be perfect for wrangling because (A) I will have an “R2” unit and (B) the pilot costume is one of the most comfy and non-hazardous costumes around!
Either way, I hope these are the droids we were looking for! Haha, couldn’t resist!

"Never tell me the odds."
FloridaRobot ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an R2 and would love to bring him along to RL events in an official capacity but I can't see myself wearing a costume while wrangling.

To safely wrangle a 200 pound droid, you must be focused on the droid and keep an eye on the people surrounding it. I like to blend into the crowd and control the droid with my hand in a leather shoulder bag that has the controls. The more you blend in the better the effect and also once people determine you're controlling the droid they often come over to talk. And that takes away from the concentration so R2 usually stands still while I talk. I think putting on a costume would call attention to the wrangler and make it harder to blend in.

http://floridarobot.blogspot.com
Samurai ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaRobot wrote:
I've got an R2 and would love to bring him along to RL events in an official capacity but I can't see myself wearing a costume while wrangling.

To safely wrangle a 200 pound droid, you must be focused on the droid and keep an eye on the people surrounding it. I like to blend into the crowd and control the droid with my hand in a leather shoulder bag that has the controls. The more you blend in the better the effect and also once people determine you're controlling the droid they often come over to talk. And that takes away from the concentration so R2 usually stands still while I talk. I think putting on a costume would call attention to the wrangler and make it harder to blend in.

Exactly... I am working on a controller that will blend in even more. How safe it is in a crowd... I will see after testing.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMom3 wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:

Wink

I agree Phyllis and tryed to push for this but not everyone was in agreement Crying or Very sad

Seems maybe someone should pose this as a question to our new council hopefuls, see where they stand on the issue to help inform who we pick for the next year's administration Wink I think allowing R2 as a 'member' is a great idea, if done correctly!

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarthMoose74 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bring R2s to 501st and rebel legion events all the time to help out. Some of us dress up in costume as well while driving the droids around. Driving an R2 around with a helmet on is a bad idea though LOL.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaRobot wrote:

That is actually a really good point for an RC droid. Makes it seem "real". I can dig that. I guess it should be up to the wrangler, but if they are currently not accepted, R2's should be considered for RL! It makes since, and 501st can follow suit with Deathstar droids and mouse droids and so on! If we (RL) and they (501st) already do accept droids (R2's), my bad and please disregard...

On a side note, making the controller out of a camara, no one would think you are the operator...just another picture taker...nothing to see here...move along ...move along...

"Never tell me the odds."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: