About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e2630810e93b7da14568498a61d20aadMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My new project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montee916 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: My new project Reply with quote

I figured I'd post some pics up here of the costume I'm working on at the mo and see what you guys think.

We have a con coming up at the end of October that we are planning to do an ESB theme for, which works well - we have a Vader, a Fett, a few stormies and even a princess or two. Unfortunately there was one in particular that we don't yet have, and given he's always been a favourite of mine it is a natural fit. Here's what I've got so far:

I started out with the boots which was easy enough, as I had bought a pair last year for a Grand Admiral uniform I had done.

I managed to find this belt on a local auction site and got it for next to nothing.

The latest step was finding a pattern I liked and putting the Jacket together.

I've also managed to find a pattern for the shirt and hope to start on that over the weekend, and I have the trousers cut and ready to be put together once my Bloodstripes arrive from the U.S.

Of course that still leaves the biggest hurdle, the holster, but I'm hoping I can find a local to help me out with that as well. At the very least I should be able to get the buckles made up for free.
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montee

Looking good with the jacket and boots. Would be curious to see how the shirt and pants turn out.

As far as holsters, unless you know a local who can help you or get luck finding one on line I would suggest www.mpfilmcraf granted he does take 5 - 7 weeks and is $350. His work is excellent. Tell him what is going on.Matt is very professional and he will work with you.

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to have another Han in the works. If you need any pic references... let me know.

Belt looks a bit worn. With a little bit of dye and some pollish you can bring it back to look like new I think.

Bob
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wouldn't he want it to look worn, like it has been well used for a number of years?

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
But wouldn't he want it to look worn, like it has been well used for a number of years?

- Bill

I agree worn is a good thing... but it looks a bit more worn than the norm. Even saddle soap would bring it back to a more natural look.

Just my advice... thats all.

He did ask for our thoughts on it after all....

Bob
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
Looking good with the jacket and boots. Would be curious to see how the shirt and pants turn out.

As far as holsters, unless you know a local who can help you or get luck finding one on line I would suggest www.mpfilmcraft. Granted he does take 5 - 7 weeks and is $350. His work is excellent. Tell him what is going on.Matt is very professional and he will work with you.

Hey Steve, thanks for the kind words. I picked up a pattern I plan on modifying for the shirt today - it's a McCalls Chef Uniform pattern, 2233. The only hitch is I found out after I'd gotten home they'd given me an XXL and I'm only a Med. <sigh> Confused Guess I'm going back tomorrow.

I'm hoping I can source the holster locally, even if I get it made from scratch. As much as I would love to have one of Matt's rigs, by the time you factor in shipping and the exchange rate I'd be paying circa $650-700 to get it to me, and that's far more than I could justify on it. And believe me, I've tried to. Wink Mr. Green

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Nice to have another Han in the works. If you need any pic references... let me know.

Belt looks a bit worn. With a little bit of dye and some pollish you can bring it back to look like new I think.

That'd be great Bob, much appreciated. I'll pm you my email and if you could send some through - the main concerns I have are with the shirt and holster. Yeah, I see what you mean about the belt - hopefully it'll just need a little TLC to get back to good as new.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Aramys Strael wrote:

- Bill

I agree worn is a good thing... but it looks a bit more worn than the norm. Even saddle soap would bring it back to a more natural look.

Just my advice... thats all.

He did ask for our thoughts on it after all....

Bob

Too true... I was just offering up my own, as well. No worries, Bob!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, please feel free to chime in on the comment I am about to make (Your pics and tutorials are the bomb), but when it comes to the shirt (ESB I’m guessing by the jacket) there is a horizontal stitch line about belly button level across the front of the “bib”. You can see it in the picture where Han has his arms up when they land at Bespin. (I call it the “icanhazcheezburgerz“ Han picture or the “Who? Me?” picture, lol).
I’m sure there is a pic floating around in the ESB shirt Thread or somewhere in the fringe area….
Anyway, hope that helps. Figure tell ya before you get the shirt done…

"Never tell me the odds."
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him a ton of pics on it allready, but I can post them here too as well. In a rush or I would post more pics... mayby later.

Yes you can see here, the stitching holding the flap together, around the belly area…. Does not look like it goes all around though…. Just across the chest., Note as well that the shirt is not tucked in…. lol, kills me every time I see it.

This pic shows the jacket color better... more of a charcoal... not a blue like 80% of the Hans wear.

Good showing of the color as well… IMO… charcoal.

I think this is the pic your talking about...

This pic shows the fabric really well... not as thin as people might think.

This shows the seam going up past the tacked point and meets up with where the Bib fold would be if closed... hard to see it in any other pic..... more than likely there is a seam on the other side that matches... no pic of it though.

Bob

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Bob, you nailed it. You should publish a book! i love that fact that there are other people with such attention to detail out there!
Great Postings!

"Never tell me the odds."
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the earliest form of technicolor(tm) was done using three strips of black&white film stock -- each shot through a different filter (blue,green,red) -- giving a 'ratio' of black&white exposures, for each portion of the color spectrum.

then, each strip was dyed to the exact color of the filter used to expose it -- so this 'ratio' could (recombine to form a color image, and) be projected onscreen.

to this day, technicolor(tm) is (still) a process of "colorizing" black and white film stock.

--> using the early process.. there was NO WAY to represent "gray" on screen.. since all shades of gray were "colorized" in this method, the only way to get true "gray" would be by (the sheer fluke of) recombining the blue/green/red ratio in the exact proportions needed to cancel each other out and appear "B&W" again.
(if that makes any sense).

-=========-

the only reason han's jacket appears blue is because it appears to us in technicolor(tm).

that pic which bob posted of the jacket on the hanger is the actual jacket worn by harrison ford.
(the one with the watermark from "props store of london")

thats not a replica. its the actual screen-used garment. and its not "blue",
in real life(tm).

only in technicolor(tm). Razz hehe

[/$0.02]

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of looks like he has a folded handkerchief sticking out of the top of his pants in those 2 shots outside the Falcon on landing pad at Cloud City.
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
It kind of looks like he has a folded handkerchief sticking out of the top of his pants in those 2 shots outside the Falcon on landing pad at Cloud City.

I have heard from more than one source that Harry had allot of issues keeping that shirt tucked in... I just assumed it was part of the shirt not " tucked in", however without more evidence... it could be a hankie.....lol

Bob
Tig West ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting

I'm thinking of maybe doing this costume.

This raises the question, do you go with the costume acurate or presentation acurate?

I can understand wanting to be spot on costume acurate but if people don't know what you are portraying, then wouldn't the person be better off going with the color that is widely recognized?

The same thing effected the TOS Captain Kirk Costume. If you were to make a green Captain Kirk shirt, people would think you made a mistake, so I think you'd be better off with Gold recognized shirt, but that's just my 2 cents.

I smuggle anything but slaves
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are acceptable Wink thats a matter of preference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: