About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ff428a382afe81537241d32d9d1ee857Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X Wing pilot helmet kit assembly tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Jedi 78 (June McCallum)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tutorial, that should help a great deal when I start putting my helmet together. Like Tina I'm new at this stuff, fabric is my favored medium; so I'll definitely be referencing these pictures during the entire putting together process. Thanks Mark! chickpilot
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helmet turned out great (so far anyway). Now I'm just waiting for the visor part. I haven't a clue how to attach that thing.
Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering the same thing. Mark, do you have any close up pics of how the visor is attached with the velcro? It seems like my helmet is curved more than the visor so I'm not sure exactly where it should attach.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went to Michaels to find a strap for the chin, and they didn't have anything except white elastic ribbon.

Can anyone show me exactly what to use and where to get it? I assume I'll have to order online somewhere if I can't get it at Michaels.
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a fabric specific store like Joannes or equivelent. They are bound to have multiple types and colors of elastic.

"Never tell me the odds."
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that doesn't help me much. I went to the Joann website, and there are so many things to chose from, I have no idea which one is right.

Also, does everyone who wants an 8 inch strap have to by 30 to 50 yards of the stuff?

If so, would anyone like to sell me a couple feet of their lifetime supply?
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A couple of feet!" LOL, I don't think you need that much for a helmet. Or are you needing enough for your RFT and X-wing helmet. Funny thing, as a Base, we used 3/4 elastic for our RFT's and Richie's uses 1 inch for his helmet. If you have a fabric store [like JoAnn's] near you, they would have it by the yard. If not then send me a PM and I see what I can do.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just saying "couple of feet" in contrast to the 50 yard bundles I found on the Joann site. All I really need is enough for 2 straps.

So which is it? 3/4 inch or 1 inch? Which is correct?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen both done.

I use the 3/4 for RFT and the 1 inch for X-wing. So it's your choice. Either should be available at most fabric stores. I won't bother to tell you that there are 2 types of elastic either, because both are ok to use. Let me know if you can't find anything.
Jedi Assembly
maboot38 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since I'm talking X-wing here, I'll go with the 1 inch. Another idea I had was that I would rather glue a snap the inside of the helmet, rather than velcro for the strap.

Has anyone else done this?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will see a bump on the side of the helmet that might have been a snap. I have know pilots who actually replaced this with a painted and weather snap to attach thier straps. Since I already have velcro in place, I am going ahead with that. Again, there is no set rule for this.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just measure the length of the slots in your chin cup to determine the width of the elastic you need. Is that so difficult to figure out? Razz If they aren't cut out yet, there should be marks or indentations in the plastic to show you were to cut.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added visor attachment pics. I used an existing helmet of mine, so don't let the paintjob throw you- hopefully you can make out the velcro installed in the helmet.

Mark

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the chin straps were more of a nylon strapping, as opposed to elastic.

Either way, if it is real elastic that you are looking for, I would think that any variety store would have it, not just craft shops like Michael's or Joann's.

Another thing you can do (I learned this through some trial and error with my Mando armor) for that snap option (I am assuming you mean where the straps adhere to the inside of the helmet?) is to glue the male end to the inside of the helmet. (I used CA glue with the accerator) It did take quite some time for the glue to properly harden and cure. The female part of the snap you would just attach to the chin strap material as you would when attaching the snap to a garment, or belt, or whatever.

Just make sure that the glue and accelerant doesn't hinder the two snap pieces from connecting properly.

Another thing I did for some of my snaps was to add a little bondo around the edges of the snap. But unless you have a way to apply a small amount around a very small portion of space (the edges of the snaps don't boast much area), it may be more trouble than it is worth.

At any rate, this was the painstaking process for me when attaching my snap system to my Mandalorian armor. It may, or may not be quite the same as what you are after, but maybe there is something there that you can use. Just be sure to singe the holes, for the snaps, that you punching into your strapping material. Not doing may cause the material to unravel.... kind of like how if you don't cauterize a wound, the poor sap who is wounded could bleed out.

I hope this helps... otherwise, my post was useless. Mr. Green

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's suggestion is a REALLY good one- the only thing I would add is try using Plastic Welder rather than CA to secure the snap inside the helmet shell.

My instructions are very basic for the builder who just wants to get the helmet together. Anything can certainly be augmented with suggestions like this! In fact, like every other element of your costume, you'll likely find ways of changing/improving your helmet as you use it.

Mark

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rebel Pilot Tutorials, Templates & References All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: