About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=08e330f981f252bc82b28548956ca173Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

questions & FAQ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: questions & FAQ Reply with quote

questions about this forum:

a) What is this forum here for?

b) If you have an idea for a tutorial proposal, could it be posted here?

just checking... Thumbs up
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect they intend to gather the different tutorials that people have made and put them here.
Very practical since it would make finding good help in making your costume a lot easier. Very Happy

I suspect for a thread to qualify as a tutorial it will need descriptions of the process as well as pictures with explanations.
But again that is just my take on it.

I welcome the gathering of tutorials, since the forums can be somewhat hard to get a overview off and finding the 'good' threads can be tough(and very time consuming).

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, then I got a propsed one then for Generic Jedi Design:

ALERT:

THIS IS AN (as of yet) UNAPPROVED AND COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL TUTORIAL BASED UPON MY OWN RESEARCH.

color scheme tutorial

alternate link- Hosted by WookieeGunner

Here's the alt. Link

this is part 1 of 3:

I have been compiling and working on this in my spare time. the rest will be done when they are done.

#2- costume pieces
#3- wearing your costume

constructive comments and suggestions welcome! Ben

Last edited by Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour) on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
DragonStar (Rob)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another tutorial here! A lot of work went into this, thanks.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally,

I had to do tons of research in order get the color tutorial condensed like that.

Basic rule of thumb:

While collectively jedi are a colorful bunch, they wear their colors in a very specific way. they really only use two types of color harmonies.

any abnormalities to this are face characters... period.
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commend Mark for his research and published guide(s).

What is really an intrinsic "look and feel" in generic old-rep Jedi extras seen on-screen and in the EU, Mark's analysis explains the "why" of it. What makes one Jedi look like "yeah, (s)he's most definitely a Jedi" and another one look like "um...something doesn't look quite Jedi-ish about that."

There will always be gray areas (no pun intended) as to overall costume look and feel, especially as a scheme approaches the cooler tones, but those will be at the merc... er... discretion of the LCJ(s). Wink Razz

Excellent food for thought, and recommended reading.

~ Bill C.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koda Vonnor wrote:
I commend Mark for his research and published guide(s).

What is really an intrinsic "look and feel" in generic old-rep Jedi extras seen on-screen and in the EU, Mark's analysis explains the "why" of it. What makes one Jedi look like "yeah, (s)he's most definitely a Jedi" and another one look like "um...something doesn't look quite Jedi-ish about that."

There will always be gray areas (no pun intended) as to overall costume look and feel, especially as a scheme approaches the cooler tones, but those will be at the merc... er... discretion of the LCJ(s). Wink Razz

Excellent food for thought, and recommended reading.

~ Bill C.

thank you!

that's why I did it. that way, most major costume problems can be avoided BEFORE they cause an uproar or a headache for the LCJs. While not RL Costume Law, it is a way to explain why some costume ideas work, while others don't. it also is an explanation into the methodology of the design process regarding Jedi.

also, a solid third of a Jedi's costume is its color.

again it's my attempt at a solution. I'm not just complaining about an ongoing problem everyone wants fixed, but actually doing something about it.

I believe that design Tutorials are the way the RL as a whole can keep itself consistent and accurate to the SW universe. this is due to the individuality that is a part of the Good guy costumes in star wars. you can't regiment individuality, but you can quantify it.
Righteous Pugs ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, this is more for the FAQ section. What is the ruling on boots that have a zipper? Is it a no go thing or is it acceptable if it's covered up or is it just acceptable? much appreciated

Fight the Good Fight of the Faith
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually if the zipper is hidden in the instep, it's ok.

otherwise it should be covered over...

Thumbs up
mandosoldier (Tyson Bradford)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question, I have a robe made from fleece material, is this acceptable? It had a giant hood, raches the floor etc.. it's just made from fleece, I'd like to use it as right now with being jobless, college funds, and families funds I have very little left over for a new robe.
DragonStar (Rob)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pictures in the main Jedi forum and we can take a look.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Can I Jedi wear glasses? Reply with quote

Can I Jedi wear glasses? I've always wanted to join but I don't wear contacts. I have black frame 1950's style glasses. What do I do?
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I Jedi wear glasses? Reply with quote

troy7997 wrote:
Can I Jedi wear glasses? I've always wanted to join but I don't wear contacts. I have black frame 1950's style glasses. What do I do?

Yes, Jedi can wear glasses.

Generally speaking, the opinion is that, since Jedi aren't seen wearing glasses in any of the films or other media, it is preferred that our Jedi of the Rebel Legion (and KJO) do not wear glasses, when acceptable. However, if you need glasses to function, then you should wear them!

For myself (and many wearers of glasses), I do okay without them for general trooping. So, I don't wear my glasses. However, at night, it's a different story. I do wear them, but will pull them off for photos. I sewed a simple pouch on the inside of my outer tunic to hold my glasses in such situations.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
ZachLovesStarWars (Zachary Messer)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do we get our pants?
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZachLovesStarWars wrote:
Where do we get our pants?

Just about anywhere you want.

The pants you use should compliment your costume, both in color and texture. If you stick with this simple "rule", you should be good.

You can buy them or make them.

My first pair of Jedi pants were bought at an outlet store and cost me $10. They were khakis and on the lighter side of beige. My second pair of jedi pants I made by taking a pair of old scrub pants, taking them apart to use as a pattern, then using dyed onsaburg fabric. I put pockets in these pants and in total, they probably cost me under $10 to make.

Then...a friend of mine bought a pair of khakis type pants from a thrift store for $2.98.

My BIG thing about making Jedi costumes is...with some research and some desire to learn some basic costuming techniques (sewing, leather working), you can make a REALLY nice Jedi costume for really cheap (well...minus the lightsaber...and mabe the boots, if you go custom).

Take a close look at the costume on the right in my sig below...the fabric parts (inner tunic, outer tunic, tabards, obi, pants and master's robe) cost me under $150. To have the same parts made by a professional seamstress or tailor would probably run you well over $800!

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: