About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b2e477066d040a3e892d5b3f0699386Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Vest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would like to mention for you and all other costumers, do not look through what other people have been approved for to try and make your case. It is just sadly not a good basis for the arguement and will only upset you further.
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been writing an informative "memoir" if you will on what I have been discovering about Han Costumes. I assure you my research has been painstaking and even a little costly (Hence why I have had to research so much). But at the end of the day, I am self admitted perfectionist so I had to get it right! I will gladly post what I have written without the pics if anyone would like to read it. The final draft will have pictures inserted to give a better description. But when it comes to the vest, Cobalt’s is about spot on.
The best way to describe the ROTJ vest (for the front pockets) is make the ESB jacket black and remove the sleeves. Pockets are dang near identical in layout. That’s why Dawn Andersons Falcon jacket pattern can be modified and works great!
For my ROTJ vest, I bought two CB vests and had my seamstress remove the pockets from one vest and mirror them, then had the back pocket removed. Now I have enough extra material to Frankenstein an ANH vest!
Anyway, my two cents, as long as this can stay friendly; it’s a great topic and discussion!
han shot first

"Never tell me the odds."
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some facts on approvals:

One, you must keep in mind when standards were revised. If you look at the standards revise date (in green) that is the date that effects current approvals. NOT every new frames has been judged by the revised standard dates.

There is suppose to be legionwide review of all RL costumes, unfortunately there is still no definite date on that. This is to be done legionwide. We did start somewhat with 2 bases as of this date. Still its a long process and understandably so.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ROTJ vest

[/img]
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
The ROTJ vest

[/img]

Great ref. photo! Surprised

"Never tell me the odds."
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are here, what fabric choices would be recommended for the vest?
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good quality suiting material

Phoenix 17
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a cotton twill for making the vest from scratch.

If you are doing the ROTJ vest, the vest had been lined with a lightier weight cotton material than the outer shell of the vest. Its not required for you to do this, but I just wanted to mention it.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, both of my vests are made from Cotton Twill as well.
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotton twill is used most commonly in khaki pants (aka chinos) and can usually be found alongside the denim fabrics in most fabric stores as twill is essentially a slightly lighter form of denim (the word twill refers to the type of diagonal weave used for heavier cotton cloth). You may also use cotton poplin, a bottomweight evenweave (straight not diagonal), which is also usually found next to the twills and denims.

As for linings, it is not certain what the original ROTJ vest was lined with and while lightweight cotton broadcloth is fine, it can stick to your shirt and restrict movement so an alternative is to use an inexpensive acrylic lining. Acrylic lining is used in most professional and retail jackets and vests from casual to formal as it is slick enough to not restrict movement. For Bob's vests and jacket, we felt it best to go with most professional choice and line them in a matte acrylic that is slick for movement ease but not shiny which we love and was picked up at our local Joann's.

And while lining your vest is not a requirement it is what I highly recommend for any garment that needs some structure like a jacket or vest. It not only adds to the body and strength of the garment so that it lasts through repeated wearings, it protects the main garment itself (it's easier to replace a lining in a garment then to have to replace the whole thing when it becomes worn), but also gives a garment a clean professional finish, hiding raw seams that would otherwise peek out. So if you can line your vest, do it - it's worth the extra effort. Smile

Costume Portfolio
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCLAJediMaster wrote:
After more research I found these GREAT GREAT pictures done by Cobalt. These pics are great. Good job Cobat. thank you.

I've made new vests since that pic was taken LOL. Razz
here's a new pic. these pockets are more accurate. (I updated my profile with new pic as well)

the material I used said "Docker Twill" on the bolt. (cotton pants material).
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I knew you had upgraded, I am glad you posted those pics. I was actually worried for a sec that someone might think that the other vests where..."Spot on".
Those new pics that you have posted are a lot more accurate and I feel really do give a newcomer a great idea where things go...and where to start!

The only thing I would add if you ever do the vests over is that they need a yoke. I know others may say it, that an inner lining is just an option... but does make a difference.

Bob
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job! Did you use a store bought pattern? Make your own? Would you be able to make copies if you did make your own?
Those vests look great and I would love to have the pattern since the ROTJ vest I do have, although love, is kinda big on me.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right Cobalt decunstructed the costumebase ones, and modified them into a more accurate pattern... correct me if I am wrong Cobalt.

Bob
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob I believe you are correct

Phoenix 17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: