About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e282a48bad0d0e6bf7794d44a3500580Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Dimensions for ESB blaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Downtown (Joe Brown)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
Sorry, but Dirty Harry had a .44 Magnum.Wink

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

I'm quite happy with my S&W 500. Evil or Very Mad

Back to the topic!

I've got a solid resin ESB kit thats been in my project box for a few years now. Looks like I'm going to have to get it out and start working on it.
Ohio Garrison/Original Midwest Base
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know he had a .44, but the thought of you with a giant hand gun like that was too much temptation for me to pass up! Laughing
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fired a friend's .44 Magnum, but it's a little much for me. I prefer my .357, thank you.

I've got the mod done on my airsoft mauser, my kit from Blast Tech came last Monday. It was very easy to do, bolt the resin scope onto the mount, mark, drill and tap one hole for that, and two holes on the other side of the magazine well for the piston halves and screw everything on.

It's only temporary, so I can get my holster made, then I'll be taking it apart to install a red LED in the barrel and a battery pack in the magazine well.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
Looks good to me.

My airsoft has a barrel that pulls off, so I might just go to where the seam is, for mine and have a shorter barrel.

You can see the seam in this ebay pic:

Otherwise, I'll have to JB Weld the barrel on, because it's loose, and maybe Bondo the seam and repaint the barrel.

Yeah, and bondo the screw holes. Repaint and you should be good to go. Gosh, even without a repainting that looks awefully cool for a 20 dollar airsoft gun. Good job.

The lightsaber is an elegant weapon, from a more civilized time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm going to go though the trouble of Bondoing the screw holes, like I did for my Hasbro Nerf Rebel Blaster. I don't think anyone will really care.

I will probably have to repaint it, because I'm expecting some of the paint to chip off around the seams when I take it apart to put the LED in it.

It's now a $120 blaster, the kit from Blast Tech was $100.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: length of the barrel

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5651071&op=6&o=all&view=all&subj=28119871842&aid=-1&oid=28119871842&id=792155172

check out this stunt version -- WTF!? Surprised
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a few of the known blasters we know did not fit in the holster... that I would say is one of them ...lol

Bob
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! This is my first contribution here! I'm Jose, from Argentina. I have the Airsoft Mauser too, and I found this blueprint that helped me to have a mostly accurate measure of the barrel lenght:

And you can see the work-in-progress of my DL-44 TESB Han Solo blaster here:

http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/JediKhalel/Han%20Solo%20DL44%20blaster/

See you soon!
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Jose, please keep us informed as to how your progress in coming along.

Phoenix 17
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you like me to open a new topic for my blaster? Because I've been working on it lately, and I believe that some of you have the same plastic Mauser, and may need some hints...
Bye!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose if you would like to you are certainly welcome to do so.

Phoenix 17
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've already posted about it in this thread, here's my finished metal airsoft Mauser conversion to a DL-44.

It started out like this:

Then I bought this kit from Blast Tech:

Unfortunately, I used this pic as an example when I drilled holes for the piston halves:
(click thumbnails for larger images)

Then later I decided I didn't like that position and filled in the original holes with JB Weld and drilled new ones in the center of that part. I also didn't like the look of the shiny, sort of irridescent looking grips. I know there's real wood that looks like this, but those just looked too fake.

I tried putting the flash hider onto the short part of the barrel that part of the frame, so I wouldn't have to cut down the end of the barrel that comes off, but it was too fat due to the barrel taper, I would have had to find some copper tubing or something for the set screw on the flash hider to screw down on.

I finally had some time to work on this after finishing some projects for other people. My intent right from the start was to put an LED in the barrel. I didn't want to do sound, because that would be a lot more work, I wanted to keep it fairly simple.

The first thing I did was take apart the magazine. I had the idea to cut it down and house the N cell battery pack inside. But once I saw all the metal I'd have to remove inside it to get the batteries to fit, I decided it would just be easier to make a new fake magazine out of some sheet styrene that I had.

After I made that, I took apart the Mauser. Fortunately, everything is attached to the left side of the frame, so the springs and parts didn't go flying everywhere like I was initially afraid they would. Here's what the inside looked like:

There's lots of empty space in front of the trigger to mount a momentary switch.

I made an overly-complicated mount for the switch using a cut down steel mirror bracket sandwiched between some pieces of styrene with JB Weld holding it all together. It's held to the frame by a black button head screw and nut, and even more JB Weld, I didn't want it to move.

After that JB Weld cured over night, I attached the scope mount (I added a second screw, because it kept pivoting on the single screw that came with the kit), reassembled the gun and used more JB Weld to attach the barrel tip and fill in the seam.

I borrowed a few bottles of acrylic paint from a friend to use when I weathered parts of the blaster. While the JB Weld on the barrel was curing, I went to work on the grips first, I couldn't wait to get rid if the shiny fake look of them.

I sanded the edges somewhat roughly, then took some finer sand paper to the areas where a right hand would be gripping it. Then took a fine paint brush and darkened the grooves and indented areas for the screw holes, then did a light wash of black over the hole grips. Now they looked like worn, old dirty wood, just the look I was going for.

The scope is a resin copy of an old M19 tank scope made in 1941 that's black painted brass. Here's a real one:

My resin one was a nice shiny black. I wanted to give it a look like it was so worn and well used that the black paint was now very thin and the brass was starting to show through, and pretty well worn off of all the high spots. I used a color called Molten Bronze to achieve the brass effect, putting a thicker layer on the high spots and giving the whole thing a light wash, except for the low spots that would get very little wear. Then I sprayed it with a matte clear once I was happy with it.

I wish my crappy camera could pick up the details of what I did. I may try and borrow a better camera for some better photos.

After the JB Weld for the barrel cured, I sanded the seam and filled in a couple spots with some glazing putty, did more sanding, then cleaned off the whole frame with alcohol, because I used WD-40 when I tapped a few new screw holes, then painted the frame a flat black.

While the paint was drying I weathered the flash hider using a little more thinned black acrylic paint in the grooves. The "business" end has real carbon on it, but I'm not telling how I did that. Then I also sprayed that with matte clear.

After I let the paint on the frame dry for a few hours, I sanded some of it off of the the high spots. It needs a bit more weathering to match the rest of the weathered pieces, but I'll let that happen more naturally.

Here it is fully assembled:

And the main reason I wanted a metal airsoft Mauser I could take apart:

It's just a 5mm Superbright LED. I didn't want it crazy bright and blind anyone like they were looking into a Luxeon lightsaber with no blade in it. Razz

And here's the fake magazine that holds the N cell battery pack:

Hope you like my project.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The "business" end has real carbon on it, but I'm not telling how I did that. Then I also sprayed that with matte clear.

ROTF

Lori,

Excellent job. Looks great!

Phoenix 17
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve.

The pics from my not-so-great camera don't do it justice. I wanted to make my blaster look very well used.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: