About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=75b4f633f9595efc22c19006ba01cc6cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Hard Pack ...pic heavy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimE2 wrote:
Oh, no! Shocked

Well, that part on a real AR15 is pretty weak too. One of the things the Special Forces guys do is attach a doo-hicky on the spot, right where your broke, and attach the sling there. That will relieve any stress the stock gets put under while slinging your blaster. As for re-attaching, we too are tough on our props, my suggestion may be to not only glue the parts back on, but to also use screws or maybe a dowel rod to reinforce the weak spot.

The Well's MR722 airsoft gun has two slots the stock slides in to, and can be removed, did yours break there or behind this spot?

lol.....
yeah...
I am tough on my props...and basically a klutz...

One of the slot's itself actually broke off...so...it don't slide anymore...
lol...

I do plan on using the expoxy ....with a screw...
and..
will try to remember to carry it more rather than utilizing the sling all the time..

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

"stuff happens"

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Any help...

Here is a link for the Hoth Pack! The pick is pictured in the bottom of the Table of Contents page!

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Dictionary-Star-Wars-Episodes/dp/0789434814/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244683897&sr=1-1#reader

Look at the handle on the top box...this is the piece...the Endor handle looks a little different more like a handle...Any objections in using this piece as the handle?

These pics look like them were studio creations has diff pics w/ a diff top box! I painted the top one black!

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic of the tubes Jim made

And here are pics of a Mock up of the Back pack frame. I thought as we discussed the fabricator would bend the frame more but he didn't! I may have to make one out of pvc even though I showed him all the screen pics. He bent it based on the frame I currently have.

Overall I think it came out great as he made it from scratch! It is made from 3/4 aluminum. It is very strong and light. I am very pleased!

It is very nice and smooth...so once painted it would look better.

The two middle pieces(bars) will be redone so they run through the middle tube and connected to the top and bottom tube so its not tacked to six different places.

The straps will be fairly hidden once fully strapped and in place so the straps do not slide.
The two middle pieces will be redone so they run through the middle tube
and connected to the top and bottom tube so its not tacked to six different places

The Velcro in the back of the boxes will have to be redone to to support the boxes. I will be going with two inch Velcro.

A closer look at the bottom of the frame.

Any Suggestions or ideas let me know as I am starting to make 10 kits and plan to have them by the end of the year.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, simply amazing!!!!!

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff

Very Happy

JediZabrak (Lloyd Mira-Fuentes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice backpack, Angelo! Very Happy Also, a BIG shout out to Jim (we wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't for you, bro!)!
DS Boom Dance Chewie DS Boom

"These Rebels were different. They were organized, they were growing, and they were everywhere."―Journal of the 501st "The Rebellion is spreading and I want to be on the side I believe in." -Biggs Darklighter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a bit of minor feedback... (you asked for it).

This is based on the assumption that he has just made the prototype only and that changes are still possible for future builds:

In this picture, the upper strap attachment points are near the outer edge:

According to Studiocreations, the Upper connection point for harness strap (connects towards center of pack, not the sides) . it is part H in this pic:

Could you have him tack these in an inch or so to the inside, next to the two small vertical spars, instead of on the outer ones?

Studiocreations also mentions point D as being 12 degree angle on rigid frame, and possibly a padded plate in this area for comfort . Is this the curve you were asking about?

It's a small detail, but if it could be corrected in future builds, then that 12 degree bend in the frame would be a great detail... but IMHO, not a dealbreaker. And yes, I will definitely look into adding some form of padding into the back of this as Jeff suggests... Wink

Also, you had mentioned this:

Quote:
The Velcro in the back of the boxes will have to be redone to to support the boxes. I will be going with two inch Velcro.

Are you talking about using velcro to hold the boxes onto the metal frame? If so... you might want to consider using large zip ties. Just drill small holes into the boxes (possibly reinforce the holes with washers), and then thread some zip ties through the boxes and the frame. it would be solid.

Oh, BTW, I put together this spiffy comparison pic:

Hehehe... I want. //drool//

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks William,

That's the feedback I need...I did mention to my fabricator about the straps in the inside of the back and the bend is should be at 12 degrees...b4 we even started this and he has all the picks including SC's pics and some better Hoth pics. I just have a hard-headed fabricator.... Evil or Very Mad

I will print your pics and show him...he is talented and I don't think he will have any problem doing this! As you see the bottom of the frame...it is curved toward the bottom and then has the curve base, this is actually three pieces and as smooth as can be!

I Actually do have holes in the back of the boxes and did this after I glued the boxes together at the seam! I wasn't thinking!

SO to achieve this process with the zip ties I would... have to drill the holes, then insert the zip ties, glue the seam(top and bottom box together), then add the cover(cloth over the box), Stretch the cover, hand sew the side and then cut a whole in the cloth so the zip tie could go through. It takes careful planning but Achievable!

Also with the 12 degree bend the top box should set on the bottom box eliminating the space inbetween the boxes
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonescout wrote:

I Actually do have holes in the back of the boxes and did this after I glued the boxes together at the seam! I wasn't thinking!

SO to achieve this process with the zip ties I would... have to drill the holes, then insert the zip ties, glue the seam(top and bottom box together), then add the cover(cloth over the box), Stretch the cover, hand sew the side and then cut a whole in the cloth so the zip tie could go through. It takes careful planning but Achievable!

Surprised

Ok, that is doable, but I'll mull over some other thoughts as well. Velcro doesn't sound so bad now.... especially if there is a vertical strip of cloth going up and down that it'll attach to...

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok!...here is the second version.... of the HARD PACK FRAME. It has the right bend and looks great. As you can see the pack will fit better on this frame!

Version I on the bottom....VII on the top. The VI was to large and wide for the boxes.

Here is the bend in the frame.. Laughing

The straps can be place near the inside or the outside so I decided to go this way since each individual size may vary.

Pick with the boxes.

Once I have the straps position correctly on the back of boxes the top box will set on the bottom box correctly.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, that looks freaking awesome!!!

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW....
and again...
thank you for putting all of this effort into this very important piece...

it is so helpful to have someone take on this piece and share all of the information as they go through the process!

KUDOS again!

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments! Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabricator adjusted the original frame so VI & VII are basically the same. He has the dimensions set.

Boxes attached to VII as VI has the same cross bars.

Reworked the velcro. Velcro was not long enough but they hold better than the original ones due to the width. They will be painted green.

Boxes attached to frame

painting and straps are next.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheerleader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: