About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=59921655975f2ee65be8fcebee8e8d8eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

*Now with pictures* first time costumer, uk based.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
nerftheherder wrote:
...I emailed the person at CB and tried to tell them that there was an issue with the color of thier ROTJ vest (it was dark blue, like the ESB jacket) ...

um...are you sure it's dark blue? I know I'm bad with color, but this is the first I've ever heard of it being anything other than black. Also when the Star Wars exhibit was here in MPLS, that vest sure looked black to me. Not to mention the standards say black...

Depending on who you talk too, and if you have seen it in person... not to mention the lighting * cry* Lighting is a costumers nightmare. With all that said... I think most who have seen ESB jacket it will say it was a charcoal of somekind. I will not say its black... nor will I say its blue, but I do feel it has a charcoal blend for sure! IMO. I do not believe its blue... all depends on the lighting... and the scene your viewing in the movie.

FYI, according to Dressing A Galaxy, page 154:

"In The Empire Strikes Back, Han wore a gray sleeved flak jacket and brown britches with yellow embroidery down the sides."
- John Mollo

That pretty much says it right there - it's a dark gray/charcoal. Far too often I see this costume being sold as a blue jacket... sigh. Crying or Very sad

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=77692
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love these forums, I learn something new every time i sign in.

Thats a neat thred on the ESB jacket! i never knew.... The lighting was soooo messed up on that movie. I know it also caused issues with the "brown" snow jacket Han wore (making it look blue).

As for CB, A friend who recently got a Han costume said that the pockets have been corrected, however the one pocket is still missing the smaller pocket on it. Not a hard fix!
Falcon han solo

"Never tell me the odds."
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:

Never seen this pic before... but I think you can agree with my original statement ( light depending ) Its not really black, and its certainly not blue... more of a charcoal... would you agree?

Bob
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...you guys have completely broke me for the day...I think I need to go home sick.

Yes, I would say that's charcoal. My only hope here is that if the standards change to reflect this information, it's to include it and not exclude blue jackets.
My opinion is the same for the Han (Hoth) jacket, if that's even in the standards to begin with, in that either blue or brown should be accepted.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerftheherder wrote:

I know it also caused issues with the "brown" snow jacket Han wore (making it look blue).

Funny story,
Both me and my wife where at a convention.. looking at the original snow jacket ( think it was CIV in LA) and on the display for the Hoth Snow jacket it brought up the lighting issue for the jacket, and then asked what color you thought it was with the lighting change. They had set up a light that you could switch changing the appearance of the jacket... which totall made you wonder... is it Blue?, or was it Brown? As we where standing there Steve Sansweet came up from behind us and asked.. "So .... what do you think... is it brown or Blue?" My wife nudged me and whispered... "look at his name tag.". I said hello Steve.... I believe its Brown sir. He smiled and said..." it most certainly is". We talked about lighting for a bit... was a most interesting conversation.

Bob
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an awsome story!

It seems like everytime I get that one step closer to completing my formal costume, I hit some hiccup! I think I'm still at about 85% complete though, so not to far off.

Would be neat if someone could post a thred on a similar gray material. Would love to do a ESB Han ..... in the gray jacket! (Que the dramatic music)

I do agree that the standards should alow for gray but not exclude blue. I mean, even the old action figures wore blue!
Falcon

"Never tell me the odds."
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its BROWN Wink
Here's the pic I took at CIV.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I agree its brown. It apears to be so obviously brown though because of the correct lighting. If that same display had incorrect lighting it could easily look blue though. That is the problem with costuming and lighting.

I have a bunch of high rez pics somewhere of that coat.

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never seen this pic before... but I think you can agree with my original statement ( light depending ) Its not really black, and its certainly not blue... more of a charcoal... would you agree?

Bob

"gray" is an odd color to begin with. it can have elements of blue or brown in it.
if you put two different "gray" fabrics together in one eyeful, one might look more "blue" and one might look more beige, when compared to each other
(just like some "browns" have more red in them; some browns have more green; etc)

I would call this "denim Gray" , (or a 'blueish' gray).

either way, its a Shade of Gray Cool not "blue" Razz
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:

looking at this pic again, the material appears "flecked" with more than one color of fiber.
(like a sweatshirt). its not just a solid homogeneous color.

--> I bet if you got in really close with a 'macro' shot, you'd see dark-gray flecked with blueish-black
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Leia Organa wrote:
Its BROWN Wink
Here's the pic I took at CIV.

Hey Lori I can see you in your Slave Leia in the reflection.
Yep....brown jacket.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a result of this thread I've been reading a lot about the various "Technicolor" processes over the years.

Razz

I've learned that "technicolor" started as a process where they would film on 3 B&W films at the same time: each film was shot through a colored filter (blue green red). then, each print would be Dyed (blue green red) to match the filter it was shot through. the final step is to combine the 3 "dyed" B&W prints, to form a single image for projection. in the early process (prior to 1955), the three dyed prints were just laid over each other and projected at once (heh). in the new process, they shoot a single B&W film instead of 3 separate prints, and the 3 colors are each applied in turn to the same print. and a problem with this process is.. *drumroll* ..the print fades to pink over time.

-->when they transfer an old movie to video they need to adjust the hue of the entire print..
since all three color layers are combined on a single print...
you can't just drop the red, you have to adjust the hue of the entire image.

(and I've noticed that with ESB on DVD (especially the hoth scenes), they may have gone a little overboard, as the screen is almost TOO blue)
(almost as if, george didn't want to see ANY hint that his movie had faded to pink. LOL. so he took it all just a little too far to the other side of the spectrum Wink hehe)

-========-

[short version] the colors that we see on screen are not true color, they are "Technicolor"(tm)

and I think that a lot of the "Blue" we see in hans jacket probably come from the technicolor process, more so than the actual costume/lighting.

(also, a bit of blue was probably added when they took the movie to home video,
just compensating for the fact that the print was fading-to-pink)

[/short version] Razz

--> the jacket is Gray in real life. (the jacket is Blue in the movies). Razz [/final answer]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: