About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=59538a48952ad8d50f61890dc8e0797aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Base Suggestion Box
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Base Suggestion Box Reply with quote

Sorry guys, we sorta had one of these for a while, then the name was changed to warn about upcoming rule changes and then changed back to Base Ideas but it was then archived do to being thrown off topic.

So here it is again. If you have any ideas, things to add to the myspace or facebook pages, things we can do at tables or make for tables, things we can maybe do with the forums, things you think need to change or be addressed... please do so here Smile

An example of things that have come of this are our table participation growing again, and the events thread (which I at first wasnt sure we needed, so bring it on! even if I dont agree at first, if its good for the base it WILL happen because I work for you!)
JRHermle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greeblies!

No seriously. Manning a booth or any type of participation event is made more memorable when the people who visit a booth have something in hand. Business cards and flyers only go so far and get discarded quickly. Buttons and pins are decent, but the more useful and memorable the item is, the more the charity or company sticks in the mind.

I admit I'm guilty of sitting at a booth waiting for people to come up and ask about the group, but truth be told there's an intimidation factor as well as a curiousity (or lack of) factor.

Would you approach the Disney/Universal/SeaWorld booth at Pan-galactic-lumwrym-drink-a-thon-Con? They're trying to gain interest from passers-by, although it's for potential sales rather than membership, but still... They have big displays and pamphlets and 8 by 10 color glossy photos with descriptions on the back. But c'mon, why would I need to check them out?

We're essentially trying to drum up "business". And since our selection of "booth girls" is limited (I really don't want to see Mark Bradley in a slave Leia outfit... again...), then "swag" is the next best thing. But not just crap to hand out. anyone can do that. You have to make it special. Appeal to the children. Give them the swag and when grown ups ask, we can tell them that's who we're doing it for, the kids. Sure, we can have some swag for everyone else, but honestly... as much fun as dressing up is, do we do it for parades and Conventions and movie stars? Or do we do this for Katie and Make-a-wish and hospitals?

There's a place for both ends of the spectrum. I'm suggesting simply knowing our goal.

Second: Costuming

We've got more pilots than most bases have Jedi and I'd like to see this base become more diversified. Suggestion? RFTs and Endor Troopers.

The RFT is probably the best Cross-costume for pilots. Boots? Done. The rest is fabric and that bike-helmet-on-speed. So I'd like to make a goal of seeing how many RFTs or Endor Troopers we can get by 2010.

Third: A Base review

No, not a review like "Cabaret", I'm talking "inventory". Where are we lacking, where are our strengths? I know North and South FL is not as built up as Central FL, so are we missing out? Or is the reason because of lack of Cons? Where does the base need to build and how.

ok, I've said enough.

Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, and there IS a box of stuff for sell for handing out at cons but I wasnt presenting that until after SWWs but I will go ahead and talk a little about it. We would need donations to buy a box of stuff for 75.00 I think it was that has Pens, Buttons, etc in it. 50 of each thing, for a total of 200 items that say Rebel Legion on them. We can buy one of those for the base, or go out on or own with something.

Lance is working on some I Trooped With Ra Kura buttons we will do on our own. I am very pro these. I have some from Florida Garrison I gave out occasionally.

We did attempt a group project of Endor troopers and it went ok, it ended up with 5 (now 4) but we could attempt to do better and go at it again Smile

Chad has been working on an RFT for forever. He has his belt boxes now and we just need to get to a freaking Tandy and he'll be done. (and redo his helmet , its been tossed around so much, lol) and Tallahassee cranked out 6 RFTs, so those numbers went up a little. I hate that costume, I think because it reminds me of standard issue Navy wear and how crappy I looked in it, but I can take one for the team LOL We're just running out of places to put helmets Shocked

We could start a costume of the year follow along type project. or costume of the half year. Highlight something and do a work along for those who are interested.

There are things I would like to work on once things calm down a little. for sure.

Last edited by Wolfie (Crystal Bass) on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elitediver ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do several trade shows each year for my company and one thing that works well is water bottles as give away items. Now I am not saying to put out a ton of bottles and waste a lot of money but give them out to those who are really interested with a brochure inside with more info and the RL logo on the outside. Nobody wants to throw away a water bottle today so it sit in their home and serves as a reminder about our group. You put a few on the table and when someone asks how they can get one you start talking to them about the group and if they seem really interested you say something like "I am not supposed to give these away to just anyone, but you seem really cool and we would love to see you join our group" and then kind of sneaky hand them the bottle. This makes them feel like someone special and we get a possible new recruit.

On the diversification side of things, Q has gotten the ball rolling for clones of the Republic so we are adding to those ranks. And I would be willing to work on an Endor trooper with several others so that we could get out numbers up to 10-12 of these as well.

Rick
Warhawk 25
QuiSim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I like this. I can tell you what I have been doing at the events I have been going to, as I have done events almost every weekend since MegaCon.

First I try to make a pleasing display. If I can get 2 tables, I have one of helmets and info sheets, and the second with weapons. I try to make available plenty of the children's activity booklets(when I can, printing prices are hard as I am not working right now).

I bring a camera, so if other people forget to bring theirs, or theirs is full of pictures already, I can take pictures for them, take their email addresses and send them to them(or at a minimum the link to the pictures)

One of my best interest-gaining lines is "Do you have what it takes to be a Rebel? Do you enjoy meeting new, interesting, and sometimes strange people? Do you enjoy travel(at your own expense)? Do you enjoy creating a screen quality costume(at your own expense)? Do you enjoy helping others have a great time and sharing your time to help others? If so, the Rebel Legion is recruiting!" yadda yadda yadda.

The kids love it when you hand them a lightsaber to play with while their picture is being taken, and the adults love it when they can hold the "big" guns.

I try to make us as loud and sideshowy as possible, and it brings people to the booth, where after pictures, we talk about what the RL actually is and does.

When I have them, I try to have small fundraiser items available for donations, proceeds going to whichever charity invited us, or in the case of cons, the Relay for Life(American Cancer Society) charity.

None of the proceeds go to me, except when the charity allows me to recoup a portion of the expense for the items for donation.

I also volunteer at the events, either setup or cleanup or in the case of cons, any area that they need, so long as I can be in the area by the booth, so I can keep an eye on our stuff.

I also run the SW movies during the events on my laptop, so kids can be entertained. In fact, during one event, I played babysitter for a neighboring booth, setting up an extra table behind ours, where kids could color and watch the movies.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the laptop thing, Chad bought a netbook on the deal that he would let me bring it to Cons , so I have a couple of the Powerpoint files saved on it on a specific Ra Kura sign in, with the homepage set to RL so we can have access to things at events, especialy when there is wifi available and when not, we have preprogrammed things to show.

Its not a huge screen but it can be plugged into a monitor when we have that available. And we can help people sign up then and there if they already have their camera full of photos in costume or can take them while standing there.
QuiSim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! think you could email me a copy of those? Then I can have them available for upcomings that you guys aren't at.
Q (Markus Zimmerman)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costumes:

As Rick mentioned, we've got a decent contingent of Clones going. I think we outnumber the RFTs and maybe the Endor Troopers *buffs knuckles on chest armor* Laughing I'm working off and on with Tom, the COR Det. Leader about getting some COR Swag going. Nothing big like patches and shirt, but things like stickers, tattoos, buttons, etc. Once SWW is over I'm going to throw my propaganda sig back up and help show that clones don't HAVE to serve the Empire.

I would like to do an Endor Trooper myself. The Rebel Pilot is one I've been wanting to do since joining back in 2002, and I even remember mentioning it to some of the pilots my first SWW. I even think Herm was the Base CO at the time, lol. The Endor Trooper is another on that line, and eventually the RFT. Goes along with the DS Gunner I was going to work on before Trooper-Rat left the 501st Sad

Swag:
I for one thing it would cool to have car magnets. I threw this idea around with Gen. Fidelis a little bit. A nice 12" COR logo (or RaKura logo in our case) that you could put on your vehicle for Cons, then remove after. That way, you don't have a permanent sticker if you don't want one, but when we all go out to dinners, or park at a con, or SWW, hotels, etc it creates a cool effect. "What's that? Something cool I can buy? No, I'll have to check out RebelLegion.com and see what new stuff is going on with Star Wars!"

Tables:
We had a great table set up for FX. I would love to see a quick video done up of our base that we can show at the booth, similar to what the Wolf Pack Elite shows at their booths. Perhaps even think about posting something on a youtube site that we can give people the link to, or handing out DVDs.

One thing that hasn't been done in a long time is to have an are where people can take pictures with us. The 501st used to do that when they had two tables. It was a hit. It would be awesome to set up just a small area so people wouldn't have to stand in the aisles to take awkward pics. We could set up a few mannequins and whatever else (like a droid) and then, if people were hanging around and felt like it, pose with people. Working the FLG table at MegaCon, I'm constantly walking from around the table to the aisle for pics when I'm in my armor.

Forum:
Maybe a cleansing of the forum? Move all the threads from 2008 into a 2008 Archive forum?

Base:
Something that is really popular with just about every 501st Garrison (I haven't had a chance to tag up with RL Bases, yet), is to get together and do Garrison Meetings. By meeting it's generally a Quarterly or Semi-Annual gathering at a restaurant or someone's house where they talk about any issues for about half an hour (in person, which eliminates all of the problems of talking on the boards) and then spend the next few hours just hanging out and bonding. The nice thing about having them more than once a year, or once an event, is that they hold them all over the state if the state's large. Like ours, we wouldn't want to only have someone in Central Florida all year. We could do something in South Florida, then the next one in Central Florida, then the next in North Florida. Everyone carpools to save money that way.
Phoenix 10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, we've attempted on several occasions to do Game Works in Tampa and the like but the RL was so spread out in previous years. But with newer numbers coming in, and the possibility of cross posting invites to things I would like to see that happen

Maybe a trip to Hard Knocks even.
Elitediver ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if we could find someone with some good photoshop skills to work the table, I have a portable green screen and we could take pics with people and depending on what costume was being used, photoshop in a background. This would beat the hell out of just a simple snap shot posed pic and then we could either get a small photo printer or agree to email the pics to people. Just a thought.

Rick
Warhawk 25
HKiller (Jim Hunter)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On new costumes - I have my EC rifle and started the EC donut kit (barely), and I think I would benefit a lot if we had a group of people working on that specific costume all at once similar to the X-wing pilot helmet fest that Rick had a little while back. Speaking of which, X-wing pilot is my next choice for a RL costume (and clone is third due to cost ... rock on Q for all your hard work!)

If we're serious about recruiting (which it seems like we SHOULD be), then I would humbly suggest:

1) We schedule AP's and invite interested people, with a focus on the most popular/recognizable/easy-to-manufacture RL costumes ... whether it's clones or pilots or basic Jedi (you can't have too many Jedi ... can you?) If you make the cost of entry to the hobby LOW and have expert help available, then the people that just want to have fun and help charities will have no excuse to stay away.
2) We need to find a way to get the benefit of having RL people and 501st people work together to really give a FULL experience to people of seeing the good guys and the bad guys together at the same time ... preferably in a playfully antagonistic way. It's totally sad that this division exists, because the fans only suffer for a lack of joint events. I for one would be happy to wear my TK at any RL troop just for diversity and the opportunity for hostage shots. Laughing Even if it didn't count as an official troop for me with either group, I think the fans (ahem, US) would win.
3) Mock battles or silly droid hunts or anything else that draw the crowd in and convince the kids that we are "real" only make people have a better time and want to join more (right? right???). I can't believe that LFL has basically banned choreograped lightsaber battles ... how many people have honestly sued Lucas for kids playing with lightsabers? If Wal-mart is allowed to sell them as toys to children, I don't see where adults who are dedicated to spreading a love of the characters should be prevented from controlled, ESPECIALLY planned routines which I again think are huge crowd pleasers, as Lord Vader and my Luke have proven conclusively out by the road in Leesburg (people honking, waving, cheering).

And I just want to say thanks to Wolfie for bringing this suggestion box thread back (not that I remember it lol), since it's something that I asked about on the 501st side during their elections (though over there I suggested it might be bettter as an "anonymous" thread for the sake of preventing political backlash for ideas unpopular with CS). Great to have a truly open door policy and engage us members in our own club.

Yikes, giant post! Embarassed
QuiSim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of lightsaber battles, and Leesburg....

Next year Bike Week in Leesburg, which includes a HUGE TV presence, btw, has invited us and the 501st to join them on stage for a "reenactment" of Star Wars. I am still awaiting the final info before I go ahead and post it as an event.

If there can be LARPs of LoTR, Pern, and other Sci-Fi/fantasy realms, as long as we don't use the wording of SW, why would LFL have a problem with this?

We aren't making any money on it, our involvement is SOLELY volunteer, LFL isn't making the costumes or weapons, etc.(as such we cannot sue them for damage occurring to us through said weapons use)
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elitediver wrote:
Now if we could find someone with some good photoshop skills to work the table, I have a portable green screen and we could take pics with people and depending on what costume was being used, photoshop in a background. This would beat the hell out of just a simple snap shot posed pic and then we could either get a small photo printer or agree to email the pics to people. Just a thought.

Rick
Warhawk 25

That I can help with Wink I own a kodak camera with a kodak printer (it prints glossy 4 x 6 pictures without the need of a computer) The only problem is Photoshop is on my computer.

(PS..sorry for my lack of input, being going dizzy with last minute SWW prep. I probably won't be able to bring more to the table until after it)

Sledge (Jim)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKiller wrote:

If we're serious about recruiting (which it seems like we SHOULD be), then I would humbly suggest:

1) We schedule AP's and invite interested people, with a focus on the most popular/recognizable/easy-to-manufacture RL costumes ... whether it's clones or pilots or basic Jedi (you can't have too many Jedi ... can you?) If you make the cost of entry to the hobby LOW and have expert help available, then the people that just want to have fun and help charities will have no excuse to stay away.

Yikes, giant post! Embarassed

well on that note I will be posting Honkers weekly armor party soon in the events area for all RL, 501st, any type of costume you want to work on.
we are currently working on ghostbusters but that will not stop us from helping the new person to costuming out.
I also think for newer members their should be people in their area assigned the task of helping them pick and choose the supplies and suppliers for their costumes so to help them do it right the first time and not throw needless money hand over fist into something that wont be right.
Bluegrrl ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about good charities? My parents donated all of my grandmother's teddy bears (after she died) to the local firemen. The idea is that kids can have something to hold onto if God forbid their house burned down or they were in a tramatic situation.

Other thing is adopt-a-minefield. Ken and I have the address for them.

Or we could always donate to my favorite one.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: