About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e78d759a97b31687044501f24ae10e99Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Base Costume Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Wolf (Fred C. Parsons III)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Base Costume Project Reply with quote

Sorry this is late but the evil beast of real life came around. This Base costuming project is Rebel Pilot. I would like all who want to work on this post links and update how far they got one this. I would like to see this done before Dragon Con 2009.

Last edited by Dark Wolf (Fred C. Parsons III) on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to the RL costume standard for Rebel Pilot.

http://www.rebellegion.com/about_standards.php?id=8851

"I'm only a simple trained killer, but something tells me never to eat in a restaurant with a bad pun over the door." Sev
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'l start the ball rolling here. After trolling the old rebel pilot message threads here's what I have...

X-Wing Pilot (Episode IV: A New Hope & Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) & Y-Wing Pilot (Episode IV: A New Hope)
Required Items:

Orange flight suit with altered collar -I actually have this on hand. I bought 2 orange flight suits when they were on sale from an army surplus place (I forget which one) a couple of years back with the intention to have them made into BSG mechanic uniforms. Never got around to it so I'm glad I have them to put to a better use now Luke I just have to get them to my tailor to alter the collar and add the pockets. I have zero sewing skills.

Mid Calf Black boots (or suitable substitute) -My Rebel Trooper boots can pull double duty here.

Leg flares -I think I can do this. The one tutorial I liked used wooden dowels and hot glue for the holder instead of sewing. I have a surplus army green coverall I can cut up instead of the duffel bag some threads suggest. However instead of hot glue I think I'm going to try this 'mighty mend it' I've seen on TV. If it works half as good as the commercials lead to believe this might be a good alternative. I'll let everyone know how it does.

Grey ejection harness-This also seems doable for me. Just straps and I'll try the Mighty-Mend-It on it instead of sewing.

Grey web belt -also looks easy

White flak vest with ribbing -There's no way I (or my tailor) could do this. I'm just going to have to watch the boards and evil-bay for a source.

Grey chest box with grey hose OR aviation hose and appropriate decoration (buttons, pin stripes etc.)-Probably do-able. It may just be easier/less trouble for me to buy one rather than spend a lot of time experimenting with materials and construction.

Code cylinders in left shoulder pocket-I'll just get these from Elvis Trooper like everyone else. They look to be great quality at a reasonable price.

Formal Requirements:
You must have at least one of the following items to be accepted:

X-Wing helmet with Star Wars-style decoration- I'm glad you only need one of these elements to be formal as I think this will be the last thing I get. For price and the fact there doesn't seem to currently be a real reliable supplier.

Mini-Flares on belt and Comm Pad-I like the look of the mini-flares but I may just skip the Comm Pad.

Black gauntlets- I actually just got a pair for my "Captain Hammer" costume so these can pull double duty as well.

Leg pockets on coveralls-I'll just have my tailor put these in.
Vesper2112 (Jeff Hickey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedimika wrote:
However instead of hot glue I think I'm going to try this 'mighty mend it' I've seen on TV. If it works half as good as the commercials lead to believe this might be a good alternative. I'll let everyone know how it does.

Yeah... I'd like to know if it does as good as they claim. I'd buy that stuff by the case if it's a good substitute for sewing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedimika wrote:
However instead of hot glue I think I'm going to try this 'mighty mend it' I've seen on TV. If it works half as good as the commercials lead to believe this might be a good alternative. I'll let everyone know how it does.

I would not waste my time or money with it. A family member got some and used it. And then called me to help fix it right.

"I'm only a simple trained killer, but something tells me never to eat in a restaurant with a bad pun over the door." Sev
Vesper2112 (Jeff Hickey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well... Too good to be true, I guess. What we probably need to have is a base-wide sewing class! Laughing (you think I'm kidding...) The X-Wing pilot always looked great, so I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's progress (and hopefully some of my own).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesper2112 wrote:
What we probably need to have is a base-wide sewing class! Laughing (you think I'm kidding...).

What a costume that do not know how to sew... say it is not true. Shocked

Vesper2112 (Jeff Hickey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a sewing machine and can somewhat use it (for simple stuff), but I've never learned how to do anything with patterns. Trial and error would probably work, but... now I'm just making excuses. Embarassed Besides, I'm sure the ones that can sew would gladly take commisioned work (I hope). Wink
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update

Arm tools on order from Elvis Trooper
Ejection harness (straps) on order from Strapworks
'Mighty Mend it' Laughing on order (I know this won't replace sewing but I'm hoping it will be a stronger sub for fabric glue and easier to apply than hot glue)
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the weather is like where you all are but next year I'm voting for a Hoth Trooper costume. It would have been very practical this year. Oi!

small update
My tailor is pretty busy so I may just get the jumpsuit from costumebase. Seems a shame when I have orange flight suits just sitting around though. Arm tools from Elvis Trooper are as sweet as everyone said they would be. Have the straps from Strapworks but I'm going to wait until I get a flak vest before I (try to) make the ejection harness so I can get the length of the straps just right.

I guess I could start working on the leg flares.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update. I ordered a jumpsuit from Costume Base and as soon as I did my tailor said she could alter the one I had. Oh well, that will give me a backup and now she can use the CB one as a sort of template. I was actually kind of impressed with the CB jumpsuit. My tailor is still busy so not expecting the alterations for a while.

CB threw in a chest box and flak vest as well. Better than I thought they would be but I've already ordered those from Mr Bojanges as well. On the list for the flak vest but got the chest box today. Very nice. Also got the flight belt buckle from him as well.

Started work on the leg flares. Cut and shaped wooden dowels. Still have to prime and paint.

Picked up a Comm Pad from the boards too. Still have to paint that as well.

I also got a black beret and ordered a flight wings pin. I know it's not cannon but I've seen pics around here of people wearing them in their "off duty" time and I have to say I like the look.

Starting to come together...
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job there jediMikal.
Vesper2112 (Jeff Hickey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how your costumebase one turns out. Especially on the sizing, as I've heard that it's hit-or-miss when it comes to what you think you're getting.

Hoth Troopers.... Hmmmmm..... That would be a cool one to do AND one that's not done often.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesper2112 wrote:
Let us know how your costumebase one turns out. Especially on the sizing, as I've heard that it's hit-or-miss when it comes to what you think you're getting.

Mine actually fit very well. I ordered a large and I'm 6ft 200 lbs average build. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that the zipper is just the single zipper while the zipper on my "real" flight suits is the double/two way zipper which should make potty breaks that much easier. Since I had a positive experience with the flight suit I also ordered a "demon barber" vest from them in a large (to use for a steampunk outfit) and it also fits me great.
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JediMika, as a friend I am honored by your spirit to get into this hobby. You have 2 costumes and working on a third, which is very honorable. However, I just ask you to becareful or your find getting tired of this hobby, and we do not want that to happenl; this is because you like all the members of the Corellian Base are awesome members and an asset to our base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: