About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fdaa097e45fe6602fdaab46934e10949Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

From UberJedi to Uber-Pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: From UberJedi to Uber-Pilot Reply with quote

My CB jumpsuit and vest are on the way for moding, my leg flare holder is ordered, and I just sent the paypal for my compad. After wanting to do this outfit for some time now I am finally starting my Rebel Pilot.

So I have the items above on the way, but I have a few questions for you all!

#1: I have a pair of black rubber riding boots I use for my imperial officer. I read on a website... somewhere... (can't remember atm) that those would work for this costume, but I wanted to check with the pros first. Wink Can I trust this information?

#2: I am obviously still in need of a few things... some things I know where to go for, but the belt, straps and chestbox w/tubing and such I can use some help with finding. Any advice you guys have would be great!

#3: I am probably going to have to take in my CB jumpsuit outside of the other mods I'll have to do as while my height makes me a good fit for the jumpsuit I'm otherwise a women's small and so even though I've read that they run small the men's medium is probably going to be too big. If it is, do any of you have any tips on the best way to alter things a bit for a better fit?

#4: I'm not planning on getting a helmet right now, but I wanted to find out if I can get approval without one? If I need one for approval I'll get right on it... I'd like to do one eventually, but need to allocate my funds over the months so I don't tap myself out (too badly Razz).

Thanks all for all your help! Very Happy

dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray more pilots Very Happy
fist off , glad you decided on this . pilots get a great response from................. well everyone .
here's the standards http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8851
as for boots the ones that were worn in the movies were the shorter (12" 0r 13") german jack boots . there are places on line to get these .
link to Rl thread -->http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11207

the flight suit you'll prolly have to do some alterations to make it fit right on uou .
chest box hmmm a few people make them richies armour , tk560 ,and on the bay , ect.... try'n to think of others hmmmm
some of these kits come with a hose some don't , if not a lot of us pilots use a washing machine drain hose .
as you know don't be afraid to ask qusetions and directions .

and lookout for DS Boom
Ariel (Puck)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When yuo have done the alterations on the flightsuit i would be so happy to hear what you did. I have one too and it way too big for me. I have the exact same 'problem' as you.
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a costumebase jumpsuit; the medium was immense on me. I've heard people say they run small, but maybe that's for guys.

To take in the chest and waist, a couple of darts in the back would work. If you need to lift the waist up in the back to make the butt fit better, you can dart along the waistband/waist seam in the back. The front I left alone - I would rather pull out my teeth with pliers than have to rip out and reset a zipper.

The arms will be difficult to shorten without taking off the cuff, rearranging all the pockets and reattaching the cuff on the shortened arm. However, taking them in isn't too hard. Put the suit on inside out and have someone else pin material in on the underside of the arms until the sleeves are comfortable and the excess material is taken in. Then just sew along the pinned section. When you flip the suit rightside out, the excess material will be sewn inside and the sleeves should fit. I used this same technique for my legs, too.

I'm not that great with a sewing machine, and I know there are people out there who can sew circles around me, but this is what I did, and it looks pretty good.

As to the chestbox, Mr. Bojangles makes an awesome one that includes the hose. He also makes the belt and straps. I got my belt and chestbox from him, but I used old seatbelts cut out of a junkyard car for my straps - cost me all of $5 and I used Echo Base's tutorial.

You don't need a helmet for approval, as long as you have at least one of the other elements. I don't have one either (yet), but I've got the gloves, com pad, and belt flares, and I was fine.

Hooray! Another pilot! Make sure to sign up for Rouge Squadron when you're squared away. We've gotta make sure the Legion keeps looking good!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB flak vest isn't all that accurate. Check out maboot38's thread to see what he did to his.

Riding boots are pretty tall. If you wear those, you'll have to blouse the legs of your flight suit over the top of your boots to make them look shorter.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kat, here's the "semi-official" RLSC answers:

(BTW, good choice of costume. Congrats!)

1. Black rubber riding boots. We're okay with the riding, but the rubber part has me worried. As long as it doesn't scream "rainboot rubber", it should be okay. Generally as a rule though, we try to avoid rubber as it just doesn't look right. As a couple others have said, if you go with the tall height, be prepared to do a lot of blousing, and I'd recommend fitting your leg flares around the boot top rather than above to also cut down the height illusion.

2. "Other things": Everyone's chestbox/hose advice above this post is good. Don't have anything really else to add to it. If you can sew you should be able to do the belt and ejection straps yourself, you'll just need the buckle (Mr. Bojangles) and the mini-flares (Kenny/Elvistrooper). You'll also need ... compad (several types available in the For Sale/Trade forum depending on how much you want to spend - it does NOT have to be electronic), gloves (I recently got a pair from Leather Mystics and really like them, about $25), arm tools (Kenny again, or you can make some from scratch)

3. Jumpsuit Mods: Ummm ... I'm a guy and I can't sew, so I say that Julie's advice is the way to go. The slender gal pilots here in Hazard Squadron all custom made their suits, so we don't really have advice from over here.

4. Helmets: Always the big, bad question of the day. Easy answer is "NO" you don't need a helmet for approval. Having said that, it's the RLSC's opinion that every pilot should have one. So feel free to put it off for a bit, just not forever. Laughing As for makers, woo-boy, big ol' can of worms. how about you just PM or email me for all points of view so we don't have people go off tangent.

Good luck, look forward to seeing you in Orange!

Jon

Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also make your own mini flares.

I made mine from 3/8" wood dowel, cut into 2 1/4" pieces. I sanded them, beveled the edges, primed them and painted them silver.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katharine, if you need any assitance let me know...

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! I will definitely be keeping everything you told me in mind, especially about the boots... I'll look into getting some different ones.

As soon as I have updates on how things are progressing I'll give them and hopefully some pics as well!

Thanks again! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: