About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f05606315e5724216be90e30605979a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Helmet Graphics: Is there a "key"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Helmet Graphics: Is there a "key" Reply with quote

Howdy,
I've been trying to figure out if there is a meaning to the helmet graphics, such as the yellow circle/V, red circle/V, etc. I'm sure someone's asked this before, but alas, I am not finding it. (I was thinking maybe they were Death Star battle marks?)

I found these reference images , but the numbers don't correspond to anything. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this page for someone's explanation of some of the designs.

Or PM JediMickey and ask. That's his photo.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the West End Games SWRPG, I can tell you what their interpretation of the symbols are.

1) These symbols are for kills. Normal V marks are five kills. V marks with yellow are 20 kills. The V marks with the red disks are 50 kills.

2) These are bomber qualification marks. Basically, they mean you are trained on Fighter Bombers (Y- and B-Wings).

3) These symbols are for the pilot's training. Not sure what they mean, but the symbols is the symbol of the Carida Academy.

4) These symbols are for Capital Ship Kills. They are typically seen on Y- and B-Wing pilots. Their coloring is similar to that of the V disks. Black for 1, yellow for 5, and red for 20.

5) This was the symbol the Rebels adopted to symbolize the destruction of Yavin.

6, 7) These are Squadron marks.

Cool The Rebel Starbird.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Normal V marks are five kills. V marks with yellow are 20 kills. The V marks with the red disks are 50 kills.

According to those rules, when Luke joined the Rebellion on Yavin IV, he was handed a helmet with markings for 380 kills !!
No, I find it more likely that the V-signs on his helmet are for the TIE Fighters that he shot down as a gunner on the Millenium Falcon.
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Lars wrote:
According to those rules, when Luke joined the Rebellion on Yavin IV, he was handed a helmet with markings for 380 kills !!

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the helmet was lent to him, or it was previously owned. If it was new, it wouldn't have looked so weathered. Still, that's a lot of kills though. Razz

I think it's safe to say that you should take any material from West End Games with a grain of salt. Smile

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ed and Jason.

I (and some others) always associated the Vs with successful combat missions, but only because it reminded us of "V for Victory."

As for the grill representing the Battle of Yavin ... several pilots had that marking (in different helmet locations) DURING that battle and none of them looked new. So I think that was just a game designer making stuff up, same with the bomber ideas. After all you don't see those symbols on the ROTJ Y-wing helmets.

The Squadron markings however I do agree with as they've been documented elsewhere.

Like Ed said, grain of salt.

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah. Unless it comes from Uncle George, then it is just fluff. I was just giving up what I knew of.

Those wing symbols, though, if you watch the Battle of Yavin, are only on the Y-Wing Pilot Helmets.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO kinda wish there was a canon meaning for each of them, and that they were plausible.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be kinda cool if we came up with an RL explanation for them-- like yellow kills were for cons and red ones were for charity events or something like that. Make them meaningful to us.

Granted my kills are for how many times Purdue beat IU at football when I was a student, but still Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have one, but it is kinda silly. I'm a little OCD and plan everything to the most intricate detail before attempting it. Below is the plan for the vinyl decals I will be using on my helmet. Unlike the normal paint job, these would be removable to change them depending on what I do.

Each troop in the pilot costume would earn a V symbol. The normal Vs (or with a white disk under them) count as one, the yellow disk Vs count as five and the red disk Vs count as 25.

For a trooping at a Disney SWW, then a mickey mouse silouette will be used with a white halo centered on the largest circle. A yellow disk will represent a second SWW troop and a red disk a third.

The symbols on the back of the helmet in the game X-Wing Alliance will be used to denote convention attendance.

The winged disk (number 4 above) will denote years of costuming in the RL. I plan on lining them up on the sides of the mohawk. I'll do the same with them that I do with the V symbols. An all black symbol will be used for each year. A symbol with a yellow circle will be used for three years and a red circle would be 9 years.

But that's just me and I'm odd.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vs are interspersed with dashes to spell out the Morse Code "S.O.S" cause I fly a Y-wing and my Squadron says I crash a lot. Surprised

I usually like explanations for things, but this is one of those things I think we should let slide ...

1. It encourages people to use designs they like, and
2. I'd hate for a n00b to NOT use a design because they thought they couldn't, and
3. I'm NOT going to be the one to tell all the existing pilots to change their helmets. (My Y-wing's not THAT blaster proof ... I'll let Ed do it.)
Evil or Very Mad

IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
I'm NOT going to be the one to tell all the existing pilots to change their helmets. (My Y-wing's not THAT blaster proof ... I'll let Ed do it.)
Evil or Very Mad

Ha...yeah. I'm not touching that one either. Laughing

No, I'm not gonna tell anyone they HAVE to decorate their helmet a certain way. If you want to use the markings in a way that has meaning for you, then go for it. Smile

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, heck no! This is like the only thing you can completely customize and still be cannon! If that were to change, there may be a mutiny.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the "V" aren't for after mission shots?

Hmmm... your right. By counting red as 50 that would mean I've only had 300 shots. That can't be right.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Ken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: