About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8aee074e7a2dba585fe00945d720e4f9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

helmet question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: X-Wing Helmet Reply with quote

Another thing that I noticed when making my sculpt was that flight helmets are special in that they are bulging more around the ears/cheeks to allow the ear cups to fit inside. In other words, they are wider below the visor cover, while motorcycle helmets usually are not ...

I think that your mohawk is too high. It should be as high over the visor cover as the visor cover is over the underlying helmet shell. Remember that they are sloping - which makes them look larger in real life than in an orthographic projection from the side.
TI-6212 (Todd Hoyle)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: X-Wing Helmet Reply with quote

Thanks! I do realize the a pilot helmet proportions differ from a motorcycle helmet somewhat. I have another helmet that bulges out more than the ATV helmet that I've depicted in the CAD layout. My visor shell housing parts seem to fit the curvature of the ATV helmet a bit better, so that's why I started with it first. I'm going to render the other helmet in CAD also. I agree my mohawk profile is a bit tall. I've got it at around 2 1/4" from the helmet profile at present. I'll likely reduce that to about 1 5/8" or so as the project progresses. I realize my helmet will never be mistaken for a screen accurate one - it's primarily a creative and technical challenge. I do plan on getting a kit from someone, I just haven't decided from whom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: