Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4cb747fb301f9a7810a73ecd912893adMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

All fighters attack the 2nd Death Star? Is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogue Fish (Matt Muncie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: All fighters attack the 2nd Death Star? Is it possible? Reply with quote

So watching ROTJ the other day I tried to figure something out. I love B-wings, even though I have an X-Wing costume, so this made me wonder. When Lando has all fighters follow him to the Death Star we don't see the B-Wings follow him.

Now before you say the obvious things like:
-They couldn't film the B-Wings because they were to narrow blah blah
-The B-Wings were ordered to protect a Mon Cal cruiser

The biggest question is this. Could the B-Wings actually fit and fly inside the Death Star. Pardon my crude drawings.

X-Wing width:
-----{::}-----

B-Wing Width:
(o)=[::]===-----;

Width wise the B-Wing is approx 1 X-Wing's wing longer. As far as the Falcon, the B-Wing is thinner than the falcon with the s-foils closed.

So now we get into the Death Star. Obviously the B-Wing would have to fly horizontal to fit. This is obvious by the Falcon being able to fit. Technically they could have their S-foils opened and fly horizontal with your S-foils fitting in between the larger open section in the center of the tunnel. Talk about scary though! But what about being able to maneuver? Granted the B-Wing pilots would be awesome pilots in their starfighters but would they be able to fly and maneuver and still not hit any of the walls? They wouldn't be able to shoot anything because their S-foils are closed; but double your rear shields and you'll be fine against any Tie or Interceptor blasts.

I'm just curious what you all think. Don't you wish you could watch Star Wars with me? ROFL
X-Wing 2 Awing Y wing Bwing Falcon = DS Boom

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the passageways I doubt the B-Wings would be much more than sitting ducks. Because they're so long they wouldn't be able to maneuver much (neither could the Falcon), they wouldn't be able to attack the TIEs behind, and not to mention they probably wouldn't be able to keep up with the rest of the squadron.
Once they reached inside the main reactor than they could really do some damage, but getting out again would be the tricky part. And when the ships were being chased by a wall of flame once the reactor was destroyed, I have to wonder if the B-Wings would even be fast enough to outrun the flames. Heck, the TIEs weren't fast enough and they're a good deal faster than a B-Wing.

Besides, it was probably a better idea to keep the "heavier" ships like that outside as support craft to, as said already, protect the capital ships.
As well as the A-Wings to, you know, ram the bridge of a Stardestroyer or two... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from my memory Lando says

"Red Group, Gold Group, all fighters follow me."

It's possible that the B-Wings were in a different fighter group. Just my guess about that. I'd figure a big fighter like the B-Wing wouldn't be able to manuever that easily inside the death star super structure. Pilot
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader, watch those A-Wing comments! Razz Awing
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...the A-Wings rock. They are so fast...well, in X-Wing Alliance they were really fast. Pilot
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the B-Wings would have been a viable asset to deploy against the Death Star II because they are such a slower moving craft. They are, by design, a bomber. Their chief targets are capital ships.

When Lando ordered the wings to follow him in, he was ordering contigents of X-Wings (Red Squadron), Y-Wings (Gold Squadron) and A-Wings (Green Squadron). However, I don't believe Gold Squadron was actually able to follow him in. From what I can remember, it was a couple of Red's, a couple of Green's and the Falcon.

It would make sense to keep the B-Wings out of the superstructure of the Death Star, since the fleets were still battling with the SD's. The B-Wings would have been better deployed to make targeting runs against the Imperial capital ships.

That is my take on things.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nein numb wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader, watch those A-Wing comments! Razz Awing
Heh heh heh, I couldn't resist. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now before you say the obvious things like:
-They couldn't film the B-Wings because they were to narrow blah blah
-The B-Wings were ordered to protect a Mon Cal cruiser

Could the B-Wings actually fit and fly inside the Death Star. Pardon my crude drawings.

First off, I wouldn't dismiss the confined space of the Death Star for the lack of B-Wings in the attack. If ya ever played the old PC computer game, you know that B-Wings are "sluggish" in tight turns compared with X-Wings and A-Wings (probably the best suited for the job). Even Y-wings weren't called on for that aspect of the mission.

B-Wings would have done worse in the DS then that one TIE Interceptor.

The other BIG factor I think is that B-Wings were designed to be starfighters with MORE "punch" (then even the Y-Wings) to knock out Star Destroyers. Best way to defend the Mon Cal ships is to punch the Star Destroyers right in the nose.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We're on our way. Red Group, Gold Group, all fighters follow me."

He was talking about all of Red and Gold Group which included the X-Wings and A-Wings that were not assigned to Space Superiority or CapShip Defense.

If it were all fighters, then he wouldn't have specifically called for only Red and Gold Groups.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
"We're on our way. Red Group, Gold Group, all fighters follow me."

He was talking about all of Red and Gold Group which included the X-Wings and A-Wings that were not assigned to Space Superiority or CapShip Defense.

If it were all fighters, then he wouldn't have specifically called for only Red and Gold Groups.

And I believe the B-Wings where part of Grey Group.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Group were the Y-Wings. Green Group was the A-Wings. Red group, which really was Rogue Squadron, were the X-Wings.

I am not entirely sure, but I think you are right about the B-Wings being Grey Group. I don't know that I ever knew which group they were...

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: