About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=884713a6cbcb0f064e2a4e87f2ea31d0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question and answer thread: Corellian CO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Wolf wrote:
Why do you want to be the Commanding Officer of the Corellian Base?

I can't believe it took this long for someone to ask this question.

I am proud to have been a member of the Rebel Legion for over three years, but my love for the "good guys" of the Star Wars universe has persisted for over 31 years. As an adult, I began wearing Star Wars costumes for Halloween in 1995. However, once I saw the costumes of the Rebel Legion at Celebration II my path towards the light side of the force truly began.

I joined Corellian Base just after it was formed when Freedom Base split off. While I've been content to be a member, I have always been interested in helping the RL as a whole and have done what I can in discussions in the forums over costuming standards, membership requirements, etc. While the charter has finally been revised, there are some situations which need to be addressed and only by being on the command staff can I best address them. Further, I was tremendously enthused by the job Derek did when he became CO in 2006: setting up a new website and forum, getting many of his friends in the Harry Potter Nashville group to make RL costumes and arranging a book signing for Timothy Zahn at the bookstore where he worked. However, not much has occurred since and only because the MidSouth Garrison and Alabama Garrison are so strong have we continued to have numerous opportunities to represent the "good guys" of the GFFA. I would like us to be strong independently, too.

Further, I have the skills to be the CO. I can make a website and forum (if I had to), I can arrange events like the "We Care For Kids Day" yesterday at Vanderbilt although I was the only person representing the Rebel Legion, but hopefully, we can still turn it into an opportunity to visit the children in the hospital. I can help people create costumes.

I could go on, but I think I'm running out of time. Basically, I want the Rebel Legion to be strong and I can help that by making Corellian Base strong and by action on the RL council.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Wolf wrote:
Obi-TN wrote:
3. This also is a Code of Conduct violation, but I would encourage the recipient of such a message to involve law enforcement. Such action might call for immediate suspension of the sender of such a message and possible dismissal from the Legion. I would fully cooperate with the police in such an event and turn over any related communications on Rebel Legion forums.

So you will kick the person who was charged for the crime with out waiting for the outcome in the court room?

The burden of proof is different in RL than in a court of law, but I said suspend immediately. Kicking out involves a longer process, but if the RL process can be completed before the legal process, I see no need to wait.

For a different situation, would you want us to let someone arrested for child molestation remain a member of the Legion if we had knowledge of credible evidence that it had occurred?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenJedi wrote:
Both nominees.

What qualities/characteristics do you feel that you would bring to the Corellian Base that are unique to you alone.

I think Alex and I are both passionate about the Rebel Legion. While I don't expect to have to do everything myself as CO, I believe I could, well except also serve as XO. I am a very intelligent person (not saying Alex isn't intelligent) and can express myself eloquently; I don't think anybody has had trouble understanding anything I have ever posted; although I admit there have been occasions where my tone or intent has been misconstrued.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-TN wrote:
The first step is to get the website updated. While I understand a re-design is in the works, it's no excuse for having a web site that was last updated in February of 2007. None of the listed command staff on the contact page is still on the command staff, several of the links are outdated, the calendar and members links are broken, and the FAQ has never come to the "About" page. In addition to updating all of the information that ought to be there now, I'd like to see something similar to 501st Legion's homepage with rotating pictures of our members, and also a photo gallery.

Obi-TN wrote:
Darzu wrote:
Based on the previous year, what would you do differently if you were elected?

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to the first question. Do you mean if I had been CO, what would I have done? Or what will I do differently next year than what the command actually did do this year?

Either way, I think I've answered some of that already in regards to updating the website regularly and maintaining a single forum. New ones might be nice, but it would take just a few hours to bring the old ones up to date in the interim.

Obi-TN wrote:
My job involves maintaining several web sites and I am acutely aware of the problems that occur when parts of it don't work for a day, so I can't help but notice when those problems linger for months.

With your vast webmaster experience, where were you when the Corellian Base needed a webmaster? By your own admission, things could have been fixed/updated in a matter of hours?!

Since February 2007, you haven't been able to provide "a few hours" to support your Rebel family?

Obi-TN wrote:
I have the skills to be the CO. I can make a website and forum (if I had to)...

WOW....

Obi-TN wrote:
Bor Yegrubma wrote:
in my defense, the new website is going to be at corellianbase.net

I don't begrudge you for not having the new site ready. I understand the work it takes and I have no doubt that it will be far better than what we have, and if elected, I am not going to discard all of your hard work. However, that's no excuse for the CO not having updated the information on the existing site in the interim. I don't know when we lost control of corellianbase.com, but it still points to the site MasterKoon is hosting (http://www.dwrd.net/correlian/) so it could have been updated at any time since Alex became CO.

I speak from experience when I say this... Derek is ridiculously slow to respond, and if he in fact held the 'keys' to the URL, how in the heck was ANYONE supposed to update ANYTHING?!

Obi-TN wrote:
This past year, I've represented Corellian Base in Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee... I went to OmegaCon in Alabama to meet some of our members down there that I only knew of from their having posted on the old Southern Outpost boards.

Really? Which Alabama Rebels did you contact ahead of time, and which ones did you actually meet? I never met you, and was in fact one of the few people actually running the Con. Also, I can't think of a single Corellian member who was active during OmegaCon who would've been posting on the old Southern Outpost boards.

Obi-TN wrote:
I'm going to ask a question for both candidates and hopefully, I'll have time to answer it and the other pending questions myself.

Wait a sec... did you just ask yourself a question?

Obi-TN wrote:

Rebel Legion Charter wrote:
Our Values

The Rebel Legion values each member regardless of sex, race, religion, creed, nationality, sexual orientation, or physical handicap. We value the enduring passion and attention to movie grade detail fans put forth into their costumes. And we value the charitable goals set down by Lucasfilm Ltd. by giving all we can to the community.

Can you please elaborate on the standards you plan to uphold?

Obi-TN wrote:
Agent Kenobi wrote:
will you support the formation of a new Base in Alabama?

I've written some really long-winded answers here, but basically, I don't have enough information to reach any sort of decision. I am not opposed to Alabama members forming their own base, but I don't know that they're ready. If they can prove to me that they are, I will support it.

Trust me. We're more than ready, Mr.Stein. I've put a lot more than "a few hours" into it.
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-TN wrote:
All of the questions so far have dealt with Corellian Base, but our base is just one of many in the Rebel Legion. The CO represents our base in the Legion Command Council. What have you done and what changes would you like to see happen in the Rebel Legion at large? Further a lot of ideas might be culled from other bases. What relationships, if any, do you have with other bases other than perhaps attending a meeting where other COs were present?

I have represented Corellian Base at 4 DragonCon's, 3 Adventurecons, 2 MidSouthCons, WonderFest, an event for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, an event for a large donation to T.C. Thompson's Children's hospital, Celebration III, Celebration IV, many events for Make-A-Wish foundation, several promotional events, numerous other events, and even won two costume contests with my Endor Luke costume. I have also attended events at Walt Disney World and COSI Columbus where restrictions forced me to represent only the 501st in costume, but I proudly represented the RL when not in costume. I have also participated in both series of the Rebel Legion trading cards. My first card, featuring the Corellian Base logo, has been distributed around the world. My upcoming card will include the base URL (although I need to send in that change).

Without having been on the RL command council, I have trooped with 17 current command staff members and at least five former ones. I am registered on the boards for several bases outside Corellian territory as I often travel far to troop and may add New York and San Diego to that next year.

In regards to activity in shaping the rules of the RL, I have written the RL Costuming Standards for one costume (Obi-Wan Kenobi - Jedi General - Clone Wars volume 1). I was a major contributor in the discussion which led to the implementation of the census and the active/reserve status for members, notably pointing out that without a census, we could never successfully pass a Vote of No Confidence as more than a third of any subset of the membership is likely inactive.

As a member of the Legion Command Council, I would look to modify/implement rules regarding the formation of new bases and the division of existing bases to take into account the active/reserve status of its members. [I have no idea how that would impact our current situation.] When Corellian Base was formed, we might have had 40 members, but I believe only 10 or so would be considered active by today's standards. Sections of a base shouldn't be able to leave a base when the remaining unit would be an outpost. I would like to see us amend the code of conduct to address past criminal history of members, but in a much more specific manner than the 501st. I would like to see the census moved so it can be completed a month or so before the election cycle instead of in the middle of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-TN wrote:
I have written the RL Costuming Standards for one costume (Obi-Wan Kenobi - Jedi General - Clone Wars volume 1).

Glenn, could you please provide some high-res pictures of your Clone Wars General Kenobi costume?

I've heard a lot of talk about upholding costume standards, but have yet to see a high quality offering presented as an example. I'd just like to see what kind of standard you're shooting for when it comes to Jedi in armor.
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominees: please make any final statements now regarding the CO position. Questions and answer period has now ended.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, there were other reasons why my opponent was suspended from the 501st. However, we're here to discuss Rebel Legion issues, so here's a few closing comments as we wrap this thing up.

To clarify the website issues: I was not an administrator and could not get full access to the boards from the previous CO for several months. Once we did gain access, the boards had been hacked by a less than reputable company, and there were many viruses found on the site.

The command staff did not want anyone's computer to be at risk, so that is why we shut the forums down. Also, we were not given access to the calender functionality - and as a result, could not update or place events on it.

I would like to thank you all for allowing me the opportunity to serve as your Commanding Officer over the last eight months. It has been both an honor and privilege. There is still much work to be done to make the base impressive, and collectively I have no doubt that we can.

To quote the famous saying "there is no I in team" - and to me we are a team; all members of the Corellian Base working together to make the base effective. We can keep the spirit of the Rebellion alive and well.

United States Supreme Court Judge Sandra Day O’Connor once stated, “We don't accomplish anything in this world alone ... and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a member of the Rebel Legion and Corellian Base for over three years. During those three years, the Rebel Legion has grown steadily. There is a new charter, higher costuming standards, a new website, a new forum, and organized planning for Legion-wide events (DragonCon, Comic Con, SW Celebration), with no signs of slowing down. On the other hand Corellian Base started out pretty quiet except for discussion of the new logo. There was a local resurgence in 2006 and early 2007 that brought a new website, a new forum, and a spurt in membership. Unlike the Legion, it has not sustained and the most active members today are mainly the ones who were active when I joined. There are many members who troop just once a year, if that, because other costuming groups give them more opportunities.

Under my leadership, not only will the Rebel Legion continue to grow, but so too will Corellian Base. We will have one of the best websites in the legion with photo galleries and event reports that show not just what we have done, but what each of us has done. We will have an active forum. You will know the names of the members of our base, Most importantly, we will have more events of our own. When you attend larger events, people will know you are in Corellian Base from the shirt you're wearing and you will get to meet other members of the base face-to-face at organized gatherings. We might even have awards.

If this is the Corellian Base you would like to see, I ask that you vote for me, Glenn Stein, to become the next Commanding Officer of Corellian Base. Thank you for this opportunity to participate in the election process. You will not be disappointed if you give me the opportunity to lead our base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: