About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4e81259c1edf2051a4207f7b1a9701c1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Hard Pack ...pic heavy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Endor Hard Pack ...pic heavy Reply with quote

Received the styrene last week and started a mock up of several pieces
I had acquired and built. I just acquired the 4tubes in-between the boxes which is from a model kit. These are the screen caps I am reviewing
including SC pic. I don't think each pack was made the same as greeblies are missing on some and not the others.

All opinions are welcome as I am trying to get as accurate as possible with all the grainy screen pics. Basically I am expanding on what Schph Goci, and Augie have done with their hardpacks.

Angelo

04/13/09 Update:

I have someone who will fabricate a backpack Frame. Does anyone have any screen caps of the frame itself on the inner side? I am not sure how many bars go horizontal or vertical. Maybe 3 or 4 at the most. Also he uses 3/4 Aluminum. Do you think this is too thick? It will be very durable!

Finished 12/19

I am finally done! I hope you guys & gals like the finished product. I still wish I had a better frame! Enjoy!

The bottom box likes to slide forward. It has to do with the type of frame. I will need to add another piece of Velcro strip from the box to the frame so the tube can be place in the middle of the box. Which it was that way until I started taking pics.

About an 3/4 inch space in-between the boxes. I think bending the frame would eliminate the gap.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/lukesky123/Endor%20Costume/

Updated 12/11

I received the 4 tubes (part of a model kit) after a long wait! The part is made of thin plastic so I may construct one from styrene and PVC at a later date. This piece may crack after a couple of troops, but the most important thing is I have the dimensions of the tubes.

As you can see the tubes have some age...its a good thing I have two of them!

These tubes have to be what was used in the movie. See SC pics and the tubes have a top and a back plate like the one in this picture.

Painted the tubes.

Too large of a gap and I may have to bend the frame.

Or position it at an angle as I see in some of the original pics and it looks like the top plate above the tubes extend forward from the top box.

Tubing

Updated 11/16

90% complete....Both boxes are fully painted and all in need to add is the 4 tubes in the middle and the top box handle.

Both Boxes

Bottom box complete

The small round piece is used to hold the snaps in place when putting
the snaps together.

Updated 10/27

Slowly But surely...here are some cameo pics of the Top box and the bottom box I am starting on. I have a Swiss military pack I pick up cheap. The Boy Scout Pack which is more accurate. I have been watching them on the bay and have been pretty price in the past two months.

Within the top flap, it has a cut out milk carton to give it that smoth(wrinkle free) look and I added the strip in the flap. Snaps were added, but the pack is not functional so the flap is glued down!

Here are some close ups of the bottom box. It is not sewn together but for what my seamstress has done I think is is OK.

I left the Glue to give it that gunk-up look?

Updated 10/18

Testing the Top box with the fabric paint. I decided to use 100% cotton, it works great and stretches nicely. On the side of the box you can see the box seam.

A nice seam on the side and the bottom cloth near the opening will be stretched up and glued down so it has no wrinkles.

Base of top mechanism riveted to top box.

I decided to use these PVC hot/cold connectors. Several pics to my
looks like these in the movie not straight PVC pieces. The model makers
used engine parts of models and this may have been a part of an model?

I dremeled off the hinges. This way the cloth is nice an tight!

Starting to paint. Added three square pieces as greeblies.

You can see the bottom box piece in the background

Finished painting the top mechanism. Due to the flash it looks shiny but
it's more of a flat and grainy color mixing the gray and black.
Smile Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Lonescout (Angelo Marcano) on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 pm; edited 19 times in total
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good Smile
Snowman (Rob Howes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Ditto* Smile
Your project is coming along nicely!
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on Sideshow...maybe it will help with some clarity of the image

good luck...cant wait to see the finished product....keep us in the loop with HOW TO stuff so that we can make our own too
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic...I have that one also! My seamstress and I will be working on the cloth for the plastic cases this weekend...I can make a tutorial once it's all done. I hope to get this as screen accurate as possible.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely do a tutorial so we can put a link to it in the "Where to Get" thread for Endor Trooper stuff. Very Happy
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto...
tutorials are always welcomed...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump..updated pics
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I am focused on the Hoth pack...
you can actually see the side seam on the Hoth boxes..
so I left the seam....

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump **updated Picks 10/27
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those actually seams, Phyllis? Or are they where the two pieces of the boxes come together. That's kind of what they look like, to me.

Maybe that's what you're talking about, instead of a sewn fabric seam?

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
Are those actually seams, Phyllis? Or are they where the two pieces of the boxes come together. That's kind of what they look like, to me.

Yes...I usually don't state things well...lol...

the seams are seams on the boxes (where they come together) rather than actual seams in the fabric....I made the cover on my Hoth boxes fit as tight as I could so you could see those box seams through the fabric...
I ended up doing two layers of fabric one really thin white and the other thicker white so that you also could not see any of the blue of the bottom of my plastic boxes...the storage boxes I used are blue on the bottom and clear on the top...
I didn't want any of that blue "bleeding" through...

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:

Yes...I usually don't state things well...lol...

the seams are seams on the boxes (where they come together) rather than actual seams in the fabric....I made the cover on my Hoth boxes fit as tight as I could so you could see those box seams through the fabric...
I ended up doing two layers of fabric one really thin white and the other thicker white so that you also could not see any of the blue of the bottom of my plastic boxes...the storage boxes I used are blue on the bottom and clear on the top...
I didn't want any of that blue "bleeding" through...

Yup! I use the same boxes thanks to Phyllis who did the research for the boxes. I hadn't found anything close to that type of box b4 I started this project. I use 100% cotton and I did place several different types of fabric against the box. Some fabrics you could see right through it due to the blue underside of the box. Some fabrics would not stretch to my liking. Hence the reason Phyllis used the second layer of fabric. I thought the cotton would look thick and it does not in person and covers up the blue underside. My seamstress added interfacing (is this what it's called) to the underside around the opening of each mechanism so this area did not stretch as much.

Phyllis what piece did you use on the side of the bottom box? Was it an 25 D-sub Connector (end of a parallel cable) or something else? Also the handle on the top box it looks like a luggage handle from the 70's on the Endor box. The suit cases which the handle slide up and down. ( I may be having flashbacks from my childhood) Do you have any ideas?
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonescout wrote:

Phyllis what piece did you use on the side of the bottom box? Was it an 25 D-sub Connector (end of a parallel cable) or something else? Also the handle on the top box it looks like a luggage handle from the 70's on the Endor box. The suit cases which the handle slide up and down. ( I may be having flashbacks from my childhood) Do you have any ideas?

That piece on the side of the bottom box is a gender changer for a computer....I think that is what it is called...I added one to the top box too. As far as the top of the Endor box...I really don't know....
It could be a suitcase handle...

If JediDad were around....I am sure he would know...
he was always a wizard at figuring out stuff like that....I suppose you could just use some aluminum flashing and a break and try to form a channel...or possibly a track from an old cabinet drawer?

I am not so good on the visuals....I usually have to take along a photo of the item I am looking to make and just start going up and down all the aisles at the nearest Lowes or Home Depot....
You would be surprised what these stores contain if you go up and down every single aisle and basically look at every single item..
Shocked

AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice work.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: