About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a4f0a2067d2b2f594f5f9754bc99e479Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question and answer thread: Corellian CO
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Question and answer thread: Corellian CO Reply with quote

Nominees:
Orion knight-star (Alex McKeel)
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)

Please use this thread to ask either candidate questions regarding their potential role as CO of Corellian Base.

Question period will end September 29th at 11:59 PM.

Last edited by hofmann (Matt Hofmann) on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Agent Kenobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominees, what are your plans to grow the Base over the next year, and will you support the formation of a new Base in Alabama?
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: What are my plans for growth for the Corellian Base?

This is my plans I have already requested a table for both Connooga 2009 & Adventurecon 2009 and plan to have a table at both conventions there for recruitment and answer any questions for any future member. I also plan to attend two new conventions this year Mid-South Con and Wonder fest in Kentucky to recruit future members. I also am going to look at some conventions in Mississippi to locate some rebels in that location. I also want us to work hand and hand with the local 501st Garrisons within our base. Many of us are in the 501st and we can help obtain future members through those garrisons. For example those who have clone armor can tell these individuals that clones are also welcome within the Rebel Legion. I also want to work hand in hand with the Jedi Assembly, Mandolorian Merchs and The Dark Empire I am for one who believes if you have good friendships within each group you can hopefully get some of their members join the Rebel Legion.

Second Question: Will I support the Alabama Base?

Yes, I will support this new base it shows that the Rebel Legion is growing. I will admit at first I was upset about it; however, after looking at all the pros and cons. The pros for a new base in Alabama would be a good thing. Besides showing the Rebel Legion is growing. The future base can act as a recruitment tool for the cons in their areas and cons that the members go to out of their base location. For example we are go to Dragoncon and even though, that is not in our base many Star Wars fans visit this con and see our diverse costumes in the Rebel Legion and may want to join.

My personal feelings. I respect the Rebels in Alabama because they are spreading the name of Star Wars to the people of Alabama. Yes, we maybe loosing members if they decide to leave; however, we can stay friends and we are family. Granite a base is just one key area of the Rebel Legion. The main key figure in any organization is the individual and to do what is right for the organization and that organization is the Rebel Legion to make it grow and spread the name of Star Wars too keep it alive and help charity events and organizations. Also, visit children who are in hospitals. That is what we are about. Yes, we are many bases but we are one Rebel Legion united under one banner meaning our love for Star Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darzu (Bob Huff)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To both nominees,

Based on the previous year, what would you do differently if you were elected?

Do you have any ideas on how to increase the number of active participants in the base?

How do you plan on balancing your duties as CO with your real-life responsiblities, such as work, school, and your real family.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions, so far.

This one is for Stein. A year ago you were banned from the 501st Mid South Garrison for several months. In your own words, why were you banned and how have you changed/what have you learned as a result of that incident?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for the question.

Based on the previous year, what would you do differently if you were elected?

I am not saying I was perfect on many items; however, you learn things as you go. There would be a few things I would change some officers have done a great job and some are not doing their share of the work. Secondly, I would have wanted to have more Rebel Props at the table at Adventurecon but due to the price of gas and other unseen circumstances many members could not make it this year. As a result of this we did not have many props at the table this year. However, we did talk to many future members and talk to them on how to get their costumes approved and I gave them a business card with the Rebel Legion website so they can go and looked to see what their costume needs to be approved. My number one rule is to be nice. I have always done is not laugh at anyone’s costume. If they want help to get approved I will help them but I will not laugh at anyone's costume.

Do you have any ideas on how to increase the number of active participants in the base?

I believe recruitment is the key to our base we have 71 members listed in our base and of those only about 1/3 are active in the legion. Since this is a volunteer organization you cannot order people to do events or benefits. As a result of this, you can just put information out there and try to contact people and see if they would be interested in doing the event. However, there are real life issues that can hinder a person from doing the event; such as the price of gas, jobs, school, and other unseen circumstances that can cause a person not to be active.

How do you plan on balancing your duties as CO with your real-life responsiblities, such as work, school, and your real family?

I will be honest here anyone that knows me I am in school doing my best to obtain a degree and I also have a sick father. However, I have enjoyed costuming and enjoyed being the CO of the Corellian Base. The key to this is have a balance in your life is the main key to being CO. Also, it is not the CO position to be at every event. He/she needs to place the event on the forums and if there is interests in for people to go then if the CO cannot make it appoint a captain for the event. However, if I am able to make it and if I was CO or not I will make every opportunity to be at that event.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vesper2112 (Jeff Hickey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's for both candidates as well:

Do you think a base-wide project would help bring a resurgence to the base? Do you think it can be used as a recruitment tool? Do you think it should it be used to bring in potential members?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both nominees.

What qualities/characteristics do you feel that you would bring to the Corellian Base that are unique to you alone.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Kenobi wrote:
Nominees, what are your plans to grow the Base over the next year, and will you support the formation of a new Base in Alabama?

Before trying to grow the base, I think we need to stabalize the base. In one of his lasts acts as CO, Derek oversaw the first census of Corellian Base. However, no one ever reported the results. So, it's unclear how many of the 78 members listed on the Rebel Legion site are active or where they are located. Once I can get a handle on who is in Corellian Base, I can start us moving forward. The first step is to get the website updated. While I understand a re-design is in the works, it's no excuse for having a web site that was last updated in February of 2007. None of the listed command staff on the contact page is still on the command staff, several of the links are outdated, the calendar and members links are broken, and the FAQ has never come to the "About" page. In addition to updating all of the information that ought to be there now, I'd like to see something similar to 501st Legion's homepage with rotating pictures of our members, and also a photo gallery.

The next problem to handle is the forum. I received notice on July 11th that the active forum is supposed to be the one Master Koon set up. That seemed to last about two weeks before our CO started posting back here on the main Rebel Legion site, but didn't tell anybody, although a couple people did seem to notice. Whether it be at Derek's site or elsewhere, I'd like to see us using a forum where we can divide the topics into areas like events, costume creation, etc.

Once we've got our existing web presence back in order, I'd like to expand it to myspace and possibly other social networking sites. That should make it easier for potential new members to find us, learn what we're all about, and make contact. Of course, that also means a link to request an appearance on our site.

But I'm not just about waiting for people to come to us. This past year, I've represented Corellian Base in Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Next year, MidSouthCon moves to Mississippi, so I expect to costume in all of the states in Corellian Base. I've met some members from Memphis there, but also some from Arkansas and Iowa. I went to OmegaCon in Alabama to meet some of our members down there that I only knew of from their having posted on the old Southern Outpost boards. The past two years, I believe we've only had an information table at AdventureCon which I would expect to do again. Well, we had space at ConNooga this year, but nothing ever appeared there. It would be nice to have a manned table there in 2009, but many of the locals there may be too involved in running the con itself. Nevertheless, I think we could at least put together an un-manned table there. I'd love for there to be a table a OmegaCon in Birmingham and at the Comic Horror Fest here in Nashville in October. I'm not sure if it was the unusual setup this year, but I don't think WonderFest would be the best choice for recruting members in Kentucky, but perhaps contacting the Kentucky Star Wars Collectors' Club could help us find the right event.

I also think we need to do some things to increase our visibility when we're at events. One way to do this is merchandise. I'd like to see a shirt run this year and also some stickers in various sizes. It would be great if someone other than me had trading cards to distribute, but there's not much I can do about that.

I didn't mean for that answer to be so long, but there's just a lot that needs to be done.

[I've rethought my answer to the second part of this question, so I'll try to post that later. Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten my power cord for my laptop at work, so answers to that and all the other questions might have to wait until tomorrow.]
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Vesper for your question.

Do you think a base-wide project would help bring a resurgence to the base?

I love the idea! Derek's X-wing project was an awesome plan, but sadly it faded out. I believe a group costume such as Rebel Troopers or pilots would be a great way to get the blood flowing again in the Corellian Base. However, remember this is a volunteer organization, and with the economy the way it is right now, there may or may not be a significant number of people who would want to get involved.

Do you think it can be used as a recruitment tool?

Yes, I think it would be a great recruitment tool. A group costume could be used to show that our base can work together on creative projects, and that we're willing to help one another.

Do you think it should it be used to bring in potential members?

That is a very good question. I think it may help on bringing in new members - especially those who do not know where to begin on a costume. However, on the flip side of the coin, you may have people who only want to do one set costume, and might be turned off by the idea.

We all have our own ideas and ideals when it comes to costuming. New recruits should understand that it's not mandatory for them to build a costume as part of a group to enter the Legion. Creativity and individuality should always be embraced, within the broad confines of our costuming standards.

Last edited by Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel) on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My qualifications are as follows:
Currently, I am a very active member in my community, organizing many events. I am the Lookout Valley Neighborhood Association Vice-President, and the Fundraiser/Charity Organizer for Chattooine; which is our local Fan Force group in Chattanooga. I am also an officer in my local Lions Club. In the past three years, I have represented the Rebel Legion at Adventurecon, Dragon*Con, Fantascicon, Chattacon, & Connooga. I have also participated in numerous charity events at schools, libraries, “Free Comic Book Days,” and non-profit events such as March of Dimes, Make-A-Wish, and numerous others. In 2007, I represented the Corellian Base at the Family Fun Day at Fort Campbell Kentucky. I am an active member in the 501st Legion, Jedi Assembly, and co-founder of the Dark Empire. Lastly, and most importantly, I have been the Corellian Base Commanding Officer since February 25th, 2008.

In the past three years, I have represented the Rebel Legion at Adventurecon, Dragon*Con, Fantascicon, Chattacon, & Connooga. I have also participated in numerous charity events at schools, libraries, “Free Comic Book Days,” and non-profit events such as March of Dimes, Make-A-Wish, and numerous others. In 2007, I represented the Corellian Base at the Family Fun Day at Fort Campbell Kentucky. I am an active member in the 501st Legion, Jedi Assembly, and co-founder of the Dark Empire. Lastly, and most importantly, I have been the Corellian Base Commanding Officer since February 25th, 2008.

My personal qualities are two areas that any officer needs: I consider myself a great listener, and am a very organized person. In fact, I have a record of every Rebel Legion event (and the participants) in the Corellian Base since I took office back in February of this year.

Last edited by Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel) on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Record... I was not the Commanding Officer of the base till after Connooga was completed, and had I been, I can GUARANTEE YOU there would have been a table there.

As for Adventurecon - yes, we handed out information about the Rebel Legion and met with lots of potential members who wanted to join our ranks. We did not have much on props because many members could not make it, and others had personal objections to providing them. Like I said before, real life happens and people can't always attend or provide support. However, the Base was there in force, and we had a very nice table with what props we could put together.

We will have new forums soon, but our web liaison has work, family, and school to deal with. He has done the best job that he can, and will finish the new forums soon as possible.
Obi-TN (Glenn Stein)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Kenobi wrote:
will you support the formation of a new Base in Alabama?

I've written some really long-winded answers here, but basically, I don't have enough information to reach any sort of decision. I am not opposed to Alabama members forming their own base, but I don't know that they're ready. If they can prove to me that they are, I will support it.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my defense, the new website is going to be at corellianbase.net

the other domain was sniped when MasterKoon didn't renew it. So I bought the next best thing. I am close to relaunching, just working out a few things. I also have a myspace and facebook in the works to add to our web presence.

I'm all for the best guy winning, but I have the website locked down... Just been busy with work, school, and two kids. That's why I'm not running for this job Smile

As for my question - both candidates: How will you enhance the base to make Rebel trooping not seem like an afterthought?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie thank you for your question.

There are many ways that we can enhance the Rebel Legion experience. First, I think we need the same number or more rebels at events. At these events we need a diverse of costumes but more of a grouping of costumes instead of 2 Jedi, 2 pilots, or two Rebel Troopers; we need to have 4 pilots or 4 Rebel Troopers there to make it more eye appealing. This goes back we would need to recruit members. A base wide costuming project. However, like I said before some people have ideals on what costume they want to do. In addition to, we would need more recognizable characters at events such as Leia, Anakin, Han, Chewie, and others.

Also, I say the command staff if they attend a convention they need to get hold of the convention a few months ahead and see if they can do a Meet the Rebel Legion panel or at lease to see if the Rebel Legion can have a fan table at the convention. If they have a meet the 501st panel contact the CO of the garrison/outpost and see if the panel can be Meet the 501st and Rebel Legion. I have participated in 3 of these in the last 2 years and they have been fun. People do have questions and they will answer them. The Rebel Legion is not that widely known as the 501st but you got to remember they are the ones who started Star Wars Costuming.

If reelected I would be a get in touch with the PR of any Star Wars Celebes or Writers when they come to any location within the Corellian Base and see if our base can be escorts for these Celebes or writers. For example as we did for Timothy Zhan in February 6, 2007, at Davis Kids in Nashville. Master Koon set this up and it was very fun, and we talk to many future members that our now members of the Corellian Base was in attendance.

Last edited by Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel) on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: