Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1f00a7ed5493a6e7393b0edaa7f022aeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[Brazilian Base] Jedicon Rio de Janeiro - Sep 06th, 08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rysa-Mara (Mary Farah)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: [Brazilian Base] Jedicon Rio de Janeiro - Sep 06th, 08 Reply with quote

Rio de Janeiro, "little" princess of the sea... That's how they call this city full of beaches, sun, so hot that you have the impression that you are in Tatooine.

Sunny Saturday. I really thought that the event would be... empty.
No sane people would be wearing Jedi robes and armors with such sunny day with lovely beaches around...

What?!
About 890 people attended to the event. The theater was always full of people (not crowded, but there was a good audience for most events inside it).

At least, during my explanation about the EU, I guess there were about 30 or some more people. I'm not sure. They were interested, asked me questions and we could discuss a little bit about it. It was hard to summarize about 4.000 years of story in just half an hour, but I'm proud, I did it! Very Happy
I started telling where EU started (First book, comics, games, tv show), talked about some significative books here (Republic Commando Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, Outbound Flight, The Legacy of The Force Saga) and ended with the new upcoming books. I think they liked. Some people came to me after it, asking my email to talk later. And better, I liked. Mission accomplished! Smile

Temptation all around with stands selling that-so-lovely-things-you-want-but-sometimes-cannot-buy. Infortunatelly, the Brazilian currency make things difficult to us. Just imagine, an FX saber, which can be found costing about US$ 100,00 outside our country... The less you can pay on it here is about US$ 250,00. Weird, isn't it?

This event was important, not only because of my lecture, but it was the first one for my little youngling goddaughter. Smile
Ok, she's just 5 months old, but we use to say here that we need to educate properly since the birth. Smile

Me, my little Princess Leia feeding before the Contest and my friend Andrea

The most wanted attraction was the Costume Contest. No doubt about it, everybody loves it. It's really funny, because some of us just take part to enjoy the party and play with friends. Some people, sure, are there to "win" with their costumes.

Some people during the Costume Contest (notice that there is a typical nerd there)

I played "The Jedi Family" with a friend. He was there with his 3 y.o. son and we decided to subscribe to the contest just for fun. It's amazing how a "family" can fascinate the audience. If you analyse, we were wearing "general" jedi costumes (Obi-Wan). But the fact that we were playing a couple and there was a small child with us made the audience yell and clap us a lot. Infortunatelly for this "Jedi couple", "our son" was already tempted by the Dark Side. Lord Vader in person called him and he ran freely to him...

Aw, sure my little Youngling was also a success! Very Happy
She was there with her "partner" Han Solo (son of one of my best friends) and they were really cute.

All children "won" the contest. They got action figures and my little youngling now has her very firts action figure (what sounds good to me, I can tell her... "This is mine, go play with yours..." when she grow up a little).

There was an exhibit of fan art items. Some of them were really impressive. The ones I liked most were "Plo Koon" bust and the speeder.

That's it, guys. Smile
All the rest of pictures are here:
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/kemeniel/2008_JediconRJ/

Next Mission: October 11th, Jedicon São Paulo 2008... Coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee brazilian brothers, this event was great!!! Surprised

Greetings and congrats from all your mexican jedi fellows.

May the Fore rules the Galaxy!!!

cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Nice photos.
Rysa-Mara (Mary Farah)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eheee!
Thanks folks! Very Happy
It's always so good take part of missions such like this. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oki ()
Japan Base XO
Japan Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Thumbs up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rysa-Mara (Mary Farah)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks, Oki! Smile
I'll forward the link to Rio de Janeiro team who made the event happened! Wink
GhostRider01 (Luis Alejandro Mendoza)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Job Brazilian brothers... i hope some day have the chance to meet you...

the force is strong in all Brazil Ben

Formely Know as Sgt. Siul Azendom
Rysa-Mara (Mary Farah)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias, Luis! (tks)... Smile
I hope to see you "around" here someday!!! Razz
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Wow Surprised

Looks like you had a great event Rysa! Well done!

That Princess Leia costume for the little girl was excellent - one day they will meet my x wing pilot son!

And I cant say Ive ever seen someone costume as Lobot myself - clever idea and especially a great costume for all of us more 'follically challenged' people (bald haha!)

Keep up the great work and long live the Brazillian rebellion!

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Rysa-Mara (Mary Farah)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Very Happy
Your X-Wing Pilot son is soooooo cute....

I'm planning a "mandalorian armor" for her. Smile

Tks, Jase!
Soon we will have the Jedicon SP too.
This will be the event where RL Brasil will be officially introduced to SW fans. Smile

It will be an important mission! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: