About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=31a8ad64e4c42aa4bf4e57c82c7ddc3fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fabric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Fabric Reply with quote

I'm gearing up to do a Jedi costume of my very own, and I'm unsure about what sort of fabric to use for... well, just about everything but the pants and robe.

From my research the most popular fabric seems to be linen, though I wanted to put that before my fellow rebels here to see what you guys all thought.

Any suggestions on where to get the fabric from would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much everyone!

Ben

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crinkle cotton and calcutta are popular. They are also discounted this time of year as they are spring/summer fabrics. Wink
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked up crinkle cotton, and most of the results showed that it was a crinkled "gauze" cotton... is that the same thing? Is a gauze cotton a good fabric for this project?

Thanks so much, Becca!

Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep gauze is really the crinkle cotton. If it feels too thin you can use a lining (silk or polyester). Some swear by silk but I always use polyester with no issues.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I think this will work better for me... I had fears about linen being too stiff. And yeah, I heard good things about silk, too, but I'm doing this one on a tight budget! Laughing

Zurath Kodul (Tim Thompson)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jedi was made using mainly cotton and polyester. the tabards and obie are black crinkle cotton. the brown parts of it (excluding robe) are made of a suede-like polyester. the inner tunic, I'm not sure, but it's really thin, stretchy, and slightly crinkly.

the robe was done with "broadcloth"... at least that's what my seamstress said it was. She's a member in the RL and 501st, so I trust her judgement. Smile

overall, I'd say fabric choices came out to around $75, give or take.

The best advice I can give is to look on the $1/yd or $2/yd racks at your local walmart or fabric store.... That's where the majority of mine came from. (the crinkle was donated by my seamstress)

Hope I helped, somewhat....
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used linen-rayon blend from Joanns. About $5-$7 a yard but it's often on sale. It's not a stiff or heavy as linen, and doesn't wrinkle as much. It's got a nice drape to it and isn't see-through.

My undertunic is made from a T-shirt with crinkle gauze sleeves... crinkle gauze is really too thin to make a tunic, IMO.

Crinkle cotton or calcutta cloth looks good if you can find it!
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used cotton gabardine for the outer tunic and trousers. I used muslin for the tabbards and obi... of course I need to do a lot of stuff all over again. But those are some alternatives.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions, everyone!

I think what I'm going to do is go with the gauze and line everything. I managed to line my ANH leia so hopefully I'll be able to manage it again!

Thanks again!

Aurabesh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the cotten gauze for my Anakin.
qui-gon32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotton muslin works well too and is inexpensive.
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my inner tunic just done and it is a cotton. The outer tunic, inlcuding tabbards and belt I just cut out and it is monk cloth I got at wal-mart. My cloak is a wool blend.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tunics range from crinkle cotton to raw silk.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that whatever the fabric you choose, it will work out fine. The most important thing is the color. You do not want anything overly loud. The best colors usually come from the brown color scale. Although I have also seen some fantastic costumes done with other colors too.

Just don't go for anything outrageous, and if you have any concerns just post a color sample, and I'm sure anyone here will be able to assist you.

Again good luck with your new Jedi Kat, and please post pics of your progress.
a davenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a linen tunic and it looks nice, but I always have to iron. Especially the tabards. Linen does tend to wrinkle.

Cotton and silk are good, as long as you pick types that have a nice texture. And since silk comes from China, it's not as expensive as it once was. Silk noil has a perfect texture for tunics and it's one of the cheaper types of silk.

Polyester can be warm to wear for a Jedi costume since there are so many layers. It's best to avoid it.

I get my fabrics from fashionfabricsclub.com online. There aren't many store to pick from where I am. They have reasonable prices with occasional sales.

I just buy my pants off the rack. Plain cotton pants in the right shades of beige or brown work fine.

Whatever fabric you get, pre-wash it before sewing, of course. Get all the shrinkage out of it before you cut.

Your focus determines who you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: