About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d113753ab3d28c96f37d8aa5ad2c8ed7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lighsaber Conversions - Ultrasabers or Hyperblade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obaa-san Brenda (Brenda Sellers)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Lighsaber Conversions - Ultrasabers or Hyperblade Reply with quote

I'm looking at having my Anakin lightsaber converted. I was going ultrasaber until a friend mentioned hyperbade. Ultrasaber is less expensive, but hyperblade retains the scrolling effect and has less blindness. My friend has twice seen spots after accidently igniting his saber while removing the ultrablade. I'd like everyone to weigh in with their thoughts especially if you had a blade converted.
Thanks!
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two converted to Ultra... a Maul to green and an Obi-Wan to green... about a year between orders. I do wish they had retained the scrolling effect but honestly, I've been very pleased, both with the product and the customer service.

The nice thing is you can discreetly carry your blade in your robe and pop it in for a quick photo. If you're going to do any saber spinning or dueling, you'll need to have your Allen wrench to tighten the screw.

You also need to be aware that dust can get inside the blade if it's not in the hilt. After leaving mine out for several months during the holidays last year Rolling Eyes , I had the fun experience of trying to clean out the blade. It's not perfect but it's MUCH better, so I'd suggest getting a 1" furniture leg cup thing and covering the opening.

I don't have any experience with the hyperblade but it sounds great. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Lightsaber conversions Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I like the "cover the end" item. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm also waiting to see if anyone's gone blue-tooth with the hyperblade. That's not really my thing (yet) but it sounded interesting.
Jedi Ranger (Kris Joosten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultrasabers will be "heavy combat-worthy", though it will most likely come with disclaimers.

The Hyperdyne is NOT nearly as combat-worthy, despite his claims.

Are you wanting a blade for LOOKS only (Hyperdyne)? Or do you want to have some fun and have a set-up that is largely worry-free, and STILL looks almost as good?

The Hyperdyne LOOKS great, but due to its design (yes, I have one, but still I haven't built a hilt for it yet), there are just WAY too many (potentially) weak spots.

Oh yeah, a Hyperdyne will cost way more than an Ultrasaber.

Regarding dust in the blade: just use common sense when handling and storing your blade! I personally use custom-made (by me) blade sheaths when storing, transporting, and even at events.

Needing an allen key for the blade?! Pffffffttttt........that ONLY depends on your hilt design. Most people use a thumbscrew that fits into the design of the hilt, as a blade retention device.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, thumbscrew...

I'm going to look into that. Thanks! Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Lightsaber conversions Reply with quote

This is really info I can use. I like the thumbscrew idea too. And, I like the blade sheath. I've seen a friend with one. How does yours look?
Jedi Ranger (Kris Joosten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blade sheaths are simple cloth tubes sized for 1 or 2 blades, with an adjustable strap. I wear the sheath across my back.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine is similar and covered in the same fabric as my robe. I wear it over my shoulder and the blade hangs under my arm, so you can't see it.

Brenda, did I show it to you at Astronaut's Day? I showed it to someone... just can't remember who. It's that "old"... I mean "venerable".... problem. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: lightsaber conversions Reply with quote

Yes, that was me. And I've got the pics ready to mail out from Warner Robbins.
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goody! Can't wait to see them. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Bespin Base -> Bespin Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: