About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=14c23e947364c3d20a31ac9e92470ca0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New smuggler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancer (Vincent Paul Formosa)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa that's bad. but when I come to order mine, i'llbe assembling myself anyway so hopefully will avoid said issues.

but a point I've been thinking of making for a bit.

when it comes to standards for generic troops like pilots. soldiers. fleet troopers etc.

look at smugglers as a character. as long as you've got a blaster on your hip, a few greeblies. maybe a comms pad on your sleeve and some different looking clothing, you could say you're a smuggler and no one could call you on that.

look at how the smugglers are depicted in the timotyh Zahn heir to the Empire trilogy comics. lots of variation there.

same goes for rebel pilots.

we have grey, green, red, orange, baron fel wears black. so for a b-wing pilot to have tan rather than white spats, is to me,being very pernickity.

fleet troopers are a little different as they were consular troops on Tantive IV as well as generic soldiers so I expect uniformity.

when it comes to Endor, I always assumed those troopers were special forces so while certain things are common, ie jacket, pants, duster, hat. exactly how many bandoliers they carry, weapons, backpack etc can all vary to individual taste.

look at the rogue squadron comics. a number of times the rogues fall in with Kap and some other commando units and everyone is wearing something different, ranging from rebel uniform, to a mix of rebel and imperial armour.

also, look at the rebellion comics. luke and deena's character are wearing really cool black armour.

Hoth was a case of wear whatever we can get so I don't expect uniformity there.

so standards are fine. I could understand rigid standards for imperials. ie, formal organisation.

but this is the rebel alliance. we fight with what we have /can lay our hands on. to me, rigid adherence is anathema for generic characters because of the very nature of the 'organisation' they have attached themselves.
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the uniformity issue can be sticky. I really do. But calling yourself a smuggler is... well you can't do any "official" troop as one as you would be EU-noncanon. Fine for "play" but not for "work" as it were.

I like the variations on Luke and Leias costumes in the Rebellion series. Luke and Deena (along with clone Able) wore black armor that is clearly Imperial (or Clone Wars era Republic) in origin and plaster the Rebel symbol all over it to prevent friendly fire.

Uniformity also would go like this... basewide. Unless you were an X-wing pilot from a previous base and "transfer" to another base (ie move across the country) all members of the same base should strive for that same uniformity.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancer - I hear what you are saying, but the more you post here and look around you will see how much we all rely on a progressive and achievable core set of standards to do what we do and look so damn hot at events!
Evil or Very Mad

We look forward to helping you develop a truly awesome Han Solo costume that when people see it they wont just say 'who is he meant to be?' - they will be wowed! Surprised

Thats how come we do what we do - and enjoy it. Glad to have you here and looking forward to the journey. Without that journey you may just be that person at an event who was as you mentioned....not that theres anything wrong with being a fan and doing what you enjoy - but theres so much more to costuming than just slapping a few things on and saying you are someone out of the SW movies...
Quote:
look at smugglers as a character. as long as you've got a blaster on your hip, a few greeblies. maybe a comms pad on your sleeve and some different looking clothing, you could say you're a smuggler and no one could call you on that.

ps. if you are considering EU or a costume thats not on our standards list already then have a look at our advice on EU costumes and the 'three references' guidance. Maybe you can help us grow those very standards? We're all here to help each other at the end of the day - its a community.

Rebel Legion rocks! rock

MTFBWY....always Wink

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Lancer (Vincent Paul Formosa)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I'm looking forward to the journey all right. just frustrating waiting for the costume to come from costumebase.

sick of posing in front of the mirror with my blaster whilst in my dressing gown.

standards wise, I have a few ideas for an EU character or two.

but to keep things on topic. I'll have a rummage around my references to see if I can come up with anything for our erstwhile pilots.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a costumer to just put a purple Twi'lek smuggler costume together and trooped for the first time yesterday. We took pics of her to submit for RL. Since Twi'lek smugglers are an EU thing, this would be an informal costume, right? Would the rules of three references still need to be addressed, even though we see or hear of them in the comics, games and whatnot?

She will submit here soon, I imagine. Being the GML for Cloud City Garrison, I think this costume is outstanding. What is the general consensus on a custom costume, such as this? Would it be a Fringe, or would it be a Rebel Supporter costume?

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pete Solo ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: New smuggler Reply with quote

Are you looking at doing a custom smuggler?

I am the basis for the World's Most Interesting Man commercials by Dos Equis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? No, not at all. I was asking on behalf of a newbie we have here at Cloud City Garrison. I am sure she will be submitting her application for her Twi'lek smuggler sometime soon. I was just asking how she should apply, as a Rebel Supporter or a Fringe character.

Here she is at the event we had yesterday.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pete Solo ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: New smuggler Reply with quote

She could fall under either.

I am the basis for the World's Most Interesting Man commercials by Dos Equis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I will gladly let her know. Thanks, man!

- Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: